[rec.misc] Holes in Granite

fv@whuts.UUCP (FRANKLIN) (10/14/87)

Does anyone know the explanation for the following phenomenon?
While hiking up Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire this past weekend
I noticed some odd holes in the granite on the top of the mountain.
These holes were about 3-4 inches in diameter, about the same
amount deep and were fairly circular in appearance.
They appeared to be randomly placed (?) around one part of the
mountain.  There were no buildings or man made objects nearby
that could explain their existence.  I thought they may
have been either core sample or anchor holes for some structure
but their shallowness disproved this.  One theory I was kicking
around was that they may have been caused by lightning.

Has anyone seen these elsewhere or know what may have caused
them?

				Thanks in advance
--
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed       Scott R. Franklin
here are mine and mine alone and do      AT&T (The RIGHT Choice) Bell Labs

clif@chinet.UUCP (Clif Flynt) (10/14/87)

In article <3013@whuts.UUCP> fv@whuts.UUCP (FRANKLIN) writes:

>Does anyone know the explanation for the following phenomenon?
> ... odd holes in the granite on the top of the mountain.
>These holes were about 3-4 inches in diameter, about the same
>amount deep and were fairly circular in appearance.

  There are similar holes in large granite rocks where I grew up (Upstate
New York).  The folk wisdom is that these were Indian ovens.  The Amerinds
would stuff dough into these holes, and build a fire on the rock
to bake the bread.
 The holes in NYS were in the sides of large rocks, if that make any difference.

My Opinions are my own. I can't imagine why anyone else would want them.
Clif Flynt	ihnp4!chinet!clif

beede@hubcap.UUCP (Mike Beede) (10/14/87)

in article <3013@whuts.UUCP>, fv@whuts.UUCP (FRANKLIN) says:

> Does anyone know the explanation for the following phenomenon?
> While hiking up Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire this past weekend
> I noticed some odd holes in the granite on the top of the mountain.
> These holes were about 3-4 inches in diameter, about the same
> amount deep and were fairly circular in appearance.

I've seen things like this on the North Shore of Lake Superior where there
are waterfalls (dry at the time ;->).  I thought they might be caused
by water action swirling small stones around in the hole, making the
hole deeper and deeper.  These holes had straight sides, and were
usually about 3-4" in diameter and 9-12" deep.  Seems that someone
once told me that was where they came from, but I don't remember.
Oh yeah, they were so circular they looked drilled (but apparently
weren't -- at least there were no tool marks and they were too big
to have drilled for blasting).

As to their being on a mountain, remember that they may have been made
rather long ago.  BTW, there were usually a lot of these holes around
or none at all, but rarely an isolated one.
--
Mike Beede
Computer Science Dept.          UUCP: . . . !hubcap!beede

cipher@mmm.UUCP (Andre Guirard) (10/15/87)

In article <3013@whuts.UUCP> fv@whuts.UUCP (FRANKLIN) writes:
>While hiking up Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire this past weekend
>I noticed some odd holes in the granite on the top of the mountain.
>These holes were about 3-4 inches in diameter, about the same
>amount deep and were fairly circular in appearance.

>Has anyone seen these elsewhere or know what may have caused
>them?

What you have found are the footprints of the dreaded Fujiwatsu.  The
Fujiwatsu looks something like a cross between a goat and giant seal,
with fangs and three legs like fenceposts with knees.  It is immensely
powerful, and bounds from planet to planet in our solar system.
Naturally, when it lands it leaves holes in even the hardest rock.
Cannon Mountain is a place it lands infrequently, which is why you
found only a few holes.  Other mountain peaks and some lower rocky
places are riddled with these holes.

NASA once had a plan to lasso this creature and use it to haul
astronauts to other planets, but this plan was discarded as too
dangerous:  the Fujiwatsu eats things the size and consistency of space
capsules for lunch.  In fact, many of the iron meteorites that fall on
this planet are probably its feces.
--
 /''`\   DISCLAIMER: Ideas should not be        Andre Guirard
([]-[])     held responsible for the		ihnp4!mmm!cipher

ftg@gatech.edu (Gary Peterson) (10/16/87)

While on a recent "hike" up Georgia's infamous Stone Mtn.,
the holes were pointed out to me by a long time resident
with lightning as the explanation. The holes were 3-6" across
but mostly less than 2" deep. The distribution of the holes
support the lightning explanation as they were clustered
mostly along locally higher areas (anything 6" higher
than anything within a couple feet). There were virtually none
in shallow depressions and none at all in deep ones, ruling
out flowing water (which is a temporary phenomenon on
a bare moutaintop.  Stone Mtn. is a very homogenous monolith,
inclusions are not to be seen anywhere on the exposed top.

Given all the evidence, including the local climate's
preponderance of storms, I cannot think of any explanation
that comes even close to lightning. To prove this would require
registering all holes over a large area and re-checking after
a large thunderstorm. (I think eliminating an attempt
to actually WATCH for strikes during a storm is wise.)
A mid-size lightning strike has more than enough energy
to vaporize 100 cm3 of granite.

ftg

landauer%morocco@Sun.COM (Doug Landauer) (10/17/87)

> These holes were about 3-4 inches in diameter, about the same
> amount deep and were fairly circular in appearance.

This sounds like an exact description of the "mortar holes" that
were created by the native Americans for grinding acorns (one of
their primary foods, at least in California) into meal.

For those of you in California, one of the best places to see examples
of these mortar holes is at Indian Grinding Rock State Park, in the
foothills of the Sierra Nevada.  (Just north of CA-88, about 10 miles
east of Jackson.)
--
	Doug Landauer				Sun Microsystems, Inc.
	ARPA Internet:	landauer@sun.com	Software Products Division

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (10/17/87)

I waited to see if anyone who could spell inhomogenaities would
answer this, but no luck.  :-)

In article <3013@whuts.UUCP>, fv@whuts.UUCP (FRANKLIN) writes:
> Does anyone know the explanation for the following phenomenon?
> While hiking up Cannon Mountain in New Hampshire this past weekend
> I noticed some odd holes in the granite on the top of the mountain.
> These holes were about 3-4 inches in diameter, about the same
> amount deep and were fairly circular in appearance.
> They appeared to be randomly placed (?) around one part of the
> mountain.  There were no buildings or man made objects nearby
> that could explain their existence.  I thought they may
> have been either core sample or anchor holes for some structure
> but their shallowness disproved this.  One theory I was kicking
> around was that they may have been caused by lightning.

> Has anyone seen these elsewhere or know what may have caused them?

Similar structures can occur in almost any exposed rock.  Small inclusions
of weaker material often assume a spherical shape in the deep rock.
When the rock is exposed and begins to weather, the inclusions become
exopsed.  Once the sphere is open to the weather it erodes very rapidly
and leaves a semispherical pit.

There are some formations where the difference in hardness is sufficient
(gas in volcanic rocks is the extreme example) to leave pits with undercut
edges - more than halh the sphere still submerged.  These surfaces are
rather uncomfortable to walk on, since the edges can be pretty sharp.

An inclusion in granite wouldn't have to be too soft to be eroded
ahead of the matrix - perhaps just a local deficiency of some
constituent substance?

Disclaimer - I'm just guessing in the case of granite.  Igneous
and Sedementary rocks have these things - Metamorphic I don't know.
I should shut up now.
--
Steve Nuchia	    | [...] but the machine would probably be allowed no mercy.
uunet!nuchat!steve  | In other words then, if a machine is expected to be