[comp.misc] Switchable power on computers

don@ducall.UUCP (12/12/86)

I'm interested in getting an IBM-compatible computer which can be used
both in the United States (110v-60cycles) and abroad (220v-50cycles).
Not only the computer itself needs to switch between the two, but also
the moniter.  The Zenith computer has a switch on the inside of the machine,
but there isn't any way for the monitor to plug into the computer, i.e.
an adapter (expensive?) is needed for the monitor.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Don Mullen                                   UUCP: mcnc!ethos!ducall!don
Humanities Computing, Duke University
104 Languages Bldg, Durham NC  27706	     (919) 684-3637

marks@milano.UUCP (12/15/86)

In article <244@ducall.UUCP>, don@ducall.UUCP (Donald C. Mullen) writes:
> I'm interested in getting an IBM-compatible computer which can be used
> both in the United States (110v-60cycles) and abroad (220v-50cycles).
> Not only the computer itself needs to switch between the two, but also
> the moniter.

Battery-operated laptop PCs (e.g., Toshiba 1100) achieve this as a side-effect
(if their built-in display is satisfactory): you just need a voltage converter
to plug their charger into, since they in effect run off DC.

  |   Peter Marks, MCC, 9390 Research Blvd., Austin TX 78759   |
  |             (512)338-3349       marks@mcc.com              |
  | {gatech,harvard,pyramid,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!milano!marks |