From uucp Thu Dec  4 11:56 EST 1986
>From seismo!unido!ecrcvax!tomasic  Thu Dec  4 05:40:10 1986 remote from rutgers
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 86 10:18:33 -0100
From: "Anthony Tomasic" <rutgers!seismo!unido!ecrcvax!tomasic>
To: atux01!jlc
Subject: natural language

A good book which addresses natural language understanding in a PROLOG
context is:

Natural Language Access to Databases

by Mark Wallace
Ellis Wood Publishing (1982?)

From uucp Mon Dec  8 03:39 EST 1986
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 86 00:55:17 EST
From: ihnp4!bullwinkle!cornell!belmonte@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Matthew Belmonte)
To: atux01!jlc
Subject: Re: References needed for learning parsing principles
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.misc

_Compiler_Construction:__Theory_and_Practice_
William A. Barrett, Rodney M. Bates, David A. Gustafson, John D. Couch
Science Research Associates, 1986 (2nd edition)

This is what gave me a lot of the background I needed for an internship I had,
wworking on a natural language parsing project that used a CFG to represent
a very restricted, but English-sounding, subset of English.
It does not address any implementations in terms of languages and operating
systems, but it does, I feel, present parsing concepts in a clear way.
It is not, however, specific to the parsing of natural languages.
--
"The spirit is willing but the flesh is under court injunction."
Matthew Belmonte