[comp.misc] Really: Chord Keyboards

landauer@morocco.UUCP (01/26/87)

In article <540@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:

>IBM has some patents on a rather spiffy chord keyboard.  You can type
>words like "THE" and "AND" (with appropriate case-shifting) in a
>single stroke.  They tried it on some rather bright MIT students and
>found that after three or four weeks the subjects were typing as fast
>as (or faster than) they were on normal keyboards.
>
>IBM's chord keyboard had 14 keys.  It left one hand free for
>schlepping a mouse around, shuffling papers, or fondling members of
>the opposite sex.
>
>Because of the learning-curve, it would probably be a dismal failure
>in today's marketplace.  Besides, IBM has the patents.

I read about the chord keyboard a few years ago and it seemed like a
wonderful idea.  It seems like it would sell well in a few specialized
markets.  Fewer keys == fewer moving parts, so they ought to be a little
more reliable than 96-key keyboards.  I wonder why they aren't being sold
into the same sort of manufacturing situations that are supposed to be good
applications for speech recognition.

Also, I've always (well, for a few years anyway) wanted to build one that
has a built-in mouse.  One of the biggest complaints about mice that we
touch-typers have is the time it takes to move your hand from the keyboard
over to the mouse and back.  With a chord keyboard with a built-in mouse,
this complaint disappears.  An alternative would be to get a chord keyboard
for one hand and a mouse for the other hand -- does anyone know if IBM sells
or licenses these things?  I want one.
--
	Doug Landauer		    Sun's Net:		 landauer@morocco
	Phone:   415 691-7655	    ARPANET (aka DDN):   landauer@sun.com

capshaw@milano.UUCP (01/27/87)

Another use for one-handed keyboards would be in cars, etc.  It would
probably take a simple keyboard layout (maybe combined with multiple
keystrokes) to ensure that it could reliably be used as the car,
keyboard and hand bounced around.  Perhaps making the keyboard more
like a glove would solve the alignment problem.

--
Dave Capshaw

janssen@milano.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <12090@sun.uucp>, landauer%morocco@Sun.COM (Doug Landauer) writes:
> this complaint disappears.  An alternative would be to get a chord keyboard
> for one hand and a mouse for the other hand -- does anyone know if IBM sells

This setup was invented in the 60's by SRI.  Try SRI International in
Menlo Park, CA.
--
 Bill Janssen, MCC Software Technology
 9390 Research Blvd, Austin, Texas  78759

mmt@dciem.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (01/29/87)

>> this complaint disappears.  An alternative would be to get a chord keyboard
>> for one hand and a mouse for the other hand -- does anyone know if IBM sells
>
>This setup was invented in the 60's by SRI.  Try SRI International in
>Menlo Park, CA.

Perhaps the mouse part, but chord keyboards are older.  I know that
Ferranti Electric in Toronto was experimenting with them in the early or
mid-50's  (Joe Kates and Herb Ratz were the people in question).
There are several chord keyboards on the market now, I believe.
--

Martin Taylor
{allegra,linus,ihnp4,floyd,ubc-vision}!utzoo!dciem!mmt