[comp.misc] A List of AI Books

jlc@atux01.UUCP (02/09/87)

I have received a number of requests for a posting any of my replies on my
query regarding good books on Artificial Intelligence for the beginner.

Well, here are those replies.

Thank you to all who responded to my query.

						Jim Collymore
Subject: Re: Need References to VERY BASIC Concepts of AI & Preferred Comp. Langs.

Artificial Intelligence, by Patrick Winston
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.misc

The following two books are the most recommended ones I have seen and
are coordinated to introduce (1) concepts and (2) techniques of AI.

(1)	Artificial Intelligence
	Patrick Henry Winston
	Addison Wesley

(2)	Lisp
	Patrick Henry Winston and Berthold Klaus Horn
	Addison Wesley

As for good languages for AI, Lisp is good because with it you think
more about the solution than about the implementation and because it
allows you to develop the language you would have like to have to
solve the problem with in the first place. This latter requirement
seems to be important for the kind of approach used for AI these days.

There are two compilations of papers available which are of interest.
Titles are:

	Readings in Artificial Intelligence

	Readings in Knowledge Representation

I will try to get the publisher's name for you.

--Mario
Subject: AI

Learn LISP and PROLOG.

Winston's or Steele's book on COMMON LISP are good. Steele is more of
a refernce book.

Clocksin and Mellish is the default standard of PROLOG. However, Bratko
is easier to learn from. Bratko also provides a good intro to AI. I
highly recommend reading Bratko.

Winston's book on AI is TERRIBLE for a beginning book. For some history
MIT puts out some collected papers.

--------

LISP, Winston.

COMMON LISP, Steele.

Programming in Prolog, Clocksin and Mellish.

Programming in Prolog for Artificial Intelligence, Bratko.

Subject: AI programming languages

Have you thought about trying Logo? This Department used it for years, though
we have now moved to Edinburgh Prolog.
Try reading Alan Bundy's book "Artificial Intelligence, an introductory
course", paperback published by Edinburgh University Press