[comp.misc] 1130 memories

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (02/13/87)

Sender:ephram@violet.berkeley.edu

My high school had(still has?) an 1130 with 4K 1402reader/punch and an 1132
printer.  I couldn't get enough info on this baby.  I even wrote IPL cards
for the thing.  One card into the hopper IMM STOP, RESET, PROG LOAD,  in goes
the card.  There were a few that I created (no easy job getting the multiple
punches necessary for one of those things) one turned the console into a
card punch so you could use the machine for something if your disk was out.

I even made one that looked like the COLD START card but instead if you put
a deck behind it, it would punch out all the holes in your deck.  The punch
almost never got beyond the //job //for //ioctl ... cards (people would
always remove their deck from the hopper). The resultant chips were always
great at parties though.

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu

mason@tmsoft.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <2518@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> ephram@violet.berkeley.edu() writes:

>My high school had(still has?) an 1130 with 4K 1402reader/punch and an 1132
>printer.  I couldn't get enough info on this baby.  I even wrote IPL cards
>for the thing.  One card into the hopper IMM STOP, RESET, PROG LOAD,  in goes
>the card.  There were a few that I created (no easy job getting the multiple
>punches necessary for one of those things) one turned the console into a
>card punch so you could use the machine for something if your disk was out.
>
>I even made one that looked like the COLD START card but instead if you put
>a deck behind it, it would punch out all the holes in your deck.  The punch
>almost never got beyond the //job //for //ioctl ... cards (people would
>always remove their deck from the hopper). The resultant chips were always
>great at parties though.

Many long years ago (16 to be exact - scarey!), the first computer I played
with at university was an 1130.  I've been reading all this stuff about the old
beast, but thought I should add my 2 bits.  Writing COLD START cards was a big
thing for a while.  Some of the ones we produced:
	1) RABBIT - similar to the one you describe, except that it reproduced
itself on all the cards in the input hopper.  Slip one of these in the COLD
START box, and wait.  Cold start cards were fragile, cuz they had so many holes
out, so sooner or later someone would get to the rabbit card.  Usual practise
was to put a cold start card at the front of your deck and IPL.  People didn't
catch on to this as fast as the 'punch all holes' one cuz it made sort of a
rippling noise rather than the KERCHUNK-KERCHUNK that you got if you punched
out all the holes.  Needless to say RABBIT cards were quickly outlawed.
	2) 1132 'Music' - make the printer make horrible noises as it fired
all hammers at once, as fast as it could.
	3) FATAL999 - the standard COLD START read the bootstrap in from
block 0 of the disk, but block 5 was unused.  So we wrote a program that
copied a little program onto block 5, and a cold start card that swapped
blocks 0 & 5.  So, just before going to supper when your best friend was
coming on shift as student operator, you'd run this one through, leaving the
system apparently dead; the operator would come in a little later, run a cold
start, and get a message:
	ZZZ999 - FATAL SYSTEM CRASH
Created a nice sense of panic, and totally harmless (unlike the RABBIT).

Sigh...seems like only yesterday.  A lot of fun, and a good learning experience
(a friend wrote his first assembler so he could produce COLD START cards).

>ephram@violet.berkeley.edu

	../Dave
--
	../Dave Mason,	TM Software Associates	(Compilers & System Consulting)
	..!{utzoo seismo!mnetor utcsri utgpu lsuc}!tmsoft!mason