[comp.misc] Handwriting

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) (01/21/87)

In article <1145@rti-sel.UUCP> rcb@rti-sel.UUCP (Random) writes:
>Before any of you might laugh, the other day, I was taking some notes and
>I had to stop and think how to make a capital cursive "G". And of course
>my handwriting has always been awful even before computers. Has anyone
>else noticed this problem?

Yes. I have a G in may name. One day when I was about fourteen, I took a
good hard look at this alleged cursive uppercase "G", and decided that
if it looked like a G, I was Idi Amin's grandmother. I now sign my name
using a G which looks a bit like a large, somewhat degenerated '6', and
which may or may not be joined to the following letter. I encourage
everyone else in the world to do likewise so that this ugly thing (the
alleged G) can be eliminated once and for all.

Some years later, I made a concerted effort to write my letters
separately rather than joining them all up. As a result, my handwriting
improved to the point where other people can almost always read it !!
Before this, I always had trouble with words like 'minimum', which came
out something like a highly distorted sine wave, and I had to count cycles
to find out where the dots on the i's went.

Personally I feel that the 'italic' style of writing is more efficient
than cursive script, since it requires a smaller number of strokes. The
'joining' strokes which are eliminated in this method do not contribute
to legibility, and actually degrade legibility unless they are very well
placed (cf. 'minimum')

Any comment on this? I feel that children should not be forced to write
using a a cursive script; they should be free to use either the cursive
method or the italic method, whichever seems best for them.

Signatures, however, are best done in a cursive manner with as many
'useless' joining strokes as is practical, since this extra redundant
information makes forging difficult.
Greg Smith     University of Toronto      UUCP: ..utzoo!utcsri!greg
Have vAX, will hack...

cdshaw@alberta.UUCP (01/24/87)

In article <3968@utcsri.UUCP> greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
>Yes. I have a G in may name. One day when I was about fourteen, I took a
>good hard look at this alleged cursive uppercase "G", and decided that
>if it looked like a G, I was Idi Amin's grandmother. I now sign my name
>using a G which looks a bit like a large, somewhat degenerated '6', and
>which may or may not be joined to the following letter. I encourage
>everyone else in the world to do likewise so that this ugly thing (the
>alleged G) can be eliminated once and for all.

Well, no, maybe not... The relation between cursive script and "printed"
block-letter stuff is quite simple to spot. Basically, the cursive letters
(esp capitals) are reasonable distortions of the block letters.

I have a capital S in my last name. If you connect the top (start) of the S
with the bottom, you get &, only backwards. Pretty obvious, really, but there
was a time where the relations between the letters in cursive & non-cursive form
made no sense to me. It took a long time for me to get the cursive capital Q,
since it looked for all the world like a funny "2".

Anyway, about the only time I use cursive capitals is with my signature. When
I was about 14 or so, I had had enough about people hassling me for unreadable
handwriting, so I started writing (by no means exclusively) in the block
capitals I learned from drafting class. My handwriting today (10 years
later) is a highly stylized form of these same "stick-letters".

I still stick to the "usual" handwriting for lower-case letters, however, so
my writing is a mix between my special hybrid-block capitals and the normal
cursive lower case forms. Of course, this leads to:

>I always had trouble with words like 'minimum', which came
>out something like a highly distorted sine wave, and I had to count cycles
>to find out where the dots on the i's went.
>
>Personally I feel that the 'italic' style of writing is more efficient
>than cursive script, since it requires a smaller number of strokes. The
>'joining' strokes which are eliminated in this method do not contribute
>to legibility, and actually degrade legibility unless they are very well
>placed (cf. 'minimum')

Well, I doubt that the efficiency argument is true, since you are lifting
your pen between letters, but your "italic" is possibly more readable
than your cursive.

Actually, I read a book on handwriting analysis once, which had all sorts
of examples of strange/beautiful scribbling. One thing which I took to heart
was that tossing in block capitals instead of cursive ones was an indicator
of intelligence (some kind of ego boost, anyway). The point being that these
nonstandard forms do make sense, and are quite traditional in the sense that
lots of people have done them in the past.

>Any comment on this? I feel that children should not be forced to write
>using a cursive script; they should be free to use either the cursive
>method or the italic method, whichever seems best for them.

Well, what's the purpose of teaching? To get the standards set for everyone,
I would say. The point of cursive is that you don't have to lift your pen
up, and most people can write readably with it.

Then again, I use troff a lot, so who cares?

>Signatures, however, are best done in a cursive manner with as many
>'useless' joining strokes as is practical, since this extra redundant
>information makes forging difficult.

Another reason why cursive should be taught.

--
Chris Shaw    cdshaw@alberta
University of Alberta

ajs@hpfcdt.UUCP (01/24/87)

> Do people who use a keyboard almost exclusively ... begin to forget
> how to write with a pencil/pen, or get worse at it?

That is my experience.  Like anything else, what you don't use, slowly
atrophies (in the mental sense, you forget how).  My handwriting never
was great.  I suspect there's a correlation between bad penmanship and
eventual comfort using a typewriter/terminal instead.  Woe unto all
those throwbacks who write prettily!

Alan Silverstein

sjrapaport@watcgl.UUCP (01/25/87)

]One thing which I took to heart
]was that tossing in block capitals instead of cursive ones was an indicator
]of intelligence (some kind of ego boost, anyway).

Hey!  I'm intelligent!  I just thought I was lazy!

-steve

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (01/25/87)

greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
> [...]
>Personally I feel that the 'italic' style of writing is more efficient
>than cursive script, since it requires a smaller number of strokes. The
>'joining' strokes which are eliminated in this method do not contribute
>to legibility, and actually degrade legibility unless they are very well
>placed (cf. 'minimum')
> [...]

Once upon a time (in a galaxy far, far away?) people were taught to write much
more carefully than they are now.  With sufficient practice and care, I think
that cursive writing can go faster than 'italic' (basically printing each
letter) and can contribute to better spelling, etc. because you tend to write
_words_ rather than series of individual letters.  It also has the advantage
that it minimizes the number of times you have to jab your quill pen into the
paper -- each time causing a little blobbing of ink and smashing the point a
little bit.  Cursive script gives a much more uniform ink flow if you can
control the pen motion, which you can with practice.

To take a slight conceptual leap, I think that good cursive writing, and the
need for it, have been obviated by the advent of ball-point pens and keyboards.

ggw@ethos.UUCP (01/27/87)

In article <195@pembina.alberta.UUCP> cdshaw@pembina.UUCP (Chris Shaw) writes:
>In article <3968@utcsri.UUCP> greg@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Smith) writes:
	[Discussion about handwriting styles]
>   I had had enough about people hassling me for unreadable
>handwriting, so I started writing (by no means exclusively) in the block
>capitals I learned from drafting class. My handwriting today (10 years
>later) is a highly stylized form of these same "stick-letters".

	I, too, went through the hassles of having teachers and other folk
screaming about illegible handwriting, usually because I wrote too small.
My solution was to develop a semi-italic hand that also uses some stylistic
variations to reduce pen motion.  Nowadays, people reading my writing, which
I can do quite rapidly and legibly, comment on the clearness and beauty of it.

If I feel like it, I can still do a cursive script, but its definitly not
a Spencerian hand.

	In reference to the INPUT DEVICE discussion,  I don't really touch-
type, but still manage to average "60 wpm" by using a burst mode of typing.
This gets to be a slight problem when dealing with a variety of different
keyboards and machines as I tend to get ahead of some which have a small
rollover buffer.

One novel input device to be considered might be based on an electro-myographic
technique that tracks muscle group movements in some part of the upper or
forearm.  Such a device could be of great benefit for people who have lost
the use of fingers or hands, but still have the muscles in place that used
to flex and/or extend them.
Gregory G. Woodbury				The usual disclaimers apply
System Manager, DUKCDS - Duke Univ Ctr for Demographic Studies
{duke|mcnc|rti-sel}!ethos!ggw                 The line eater is a boojum snark!

jc@cdx39.UUCP (01/28/87)

> Some years later, I made a concerted effort to write my letters
> separately rather than joining them all up. As a result, my handwriting
> improved to the point where other people can almost always read it !!
>
> Personally I feel that the 'italic' style of writing is more efficient
> than cursive script, since it requires a smaller number of strokes.

Well, I adopted Italic script when I was about 22, and I've never
regretted the couple hours it took to get it into my subconscious.
It has been widely believed (and occasionally even documented) among
calligraphers that this script is the most "efficient" form of the
Roman alphabet yet devised.  What is mean by "efficient" is either
of the following equivalent facts:
	1) For a given speed of writing, Italic produces the most
	   legible result;
	2) For a given level of legibility, Italic can be written
	   the fastest.

If you have a pen with an Italic point, the efficiency is especially
noticeable.  You can also convert most of the "fiber-tipped" pens to
italic by using a fine knife blade to cut the tip to a wedge.  If you
do this, you have to keep the pen away from others, because they'll
rapidly destroy it in the process of trying to get it to write.

I've read several places that the American longhand taught in our
grade schools is historically a "degenerate" Italic, with extra
curves, unnecessary connectives, backtracking, and form changes
to fit in with the connected style of writing.

I found that the hardest thing to teach myself to do was to make
the lower-case 'e' with two strokes.  At first, this seems somewhat
counter-intuitive and clumsy.  After a while, I came to understand
that it is in fact a net benefit.  The explanation is the effects
of the longhand 'e' on adjacent letters.

One thing that's sort of fun is sending hastily-scribbled notes to
people, hearing them remark on the nice handwriting, and tell them
that it's nothing special; I could do much better if I were taking
care to write well.  It's also sort of fun to tell them that they
could learn to write legibly with just a few hours effort, knowing
full well that few people ever will.

I suspect that many people identify with their own handwriting;
learning a new script would violate their self-image.  But maybe
I'm being overly psychological here.

--
	John M Chambers			Phone: 617/364-2000x7304
Email: ...{adelie,bu-cs,harvax,inmet,mcsbos,mit-eddie,mot[bos]}!cdx39!{jc,news,root,usenet,uucp}

jc@cdx39.UUCP (01/30/87)

> > Do people who use a keyboard almost exclusively ... begin to forget
> > how to write with a pencil/pen, or get worse at it?
>
> That is my experience.  Like anything else, what you don't use, slowly
> atrophies (in the mental sense, you forget how).

Nonsense.  I usually type, but when I pick up a writing implement,
I find it quite easy to produce legible writing.  Frankly, I doubt
if there are many people who have gone all-electronic and no longer
handle pens or pencils.

Furthermore, I recently picked up my sax, after neglecting it for
several years.  The fingering came back instantly.  Of course, the
old embouchure muscles were a bit flabby and tired rapidly, but
the knowledge was certainly there.

> 	...  My handwriting never was great.

Aha!  The truth emerges. (:-)

--
	John M Chambers			Phone: 617/364-2000x7304
Email: ...{adelie,bu-cs,harvax,inmet,mcsbos,mit-eddie,mot[bos]}!cdx39!{jc,news,root,usenet,uucp}
Smail: Codex Corporation; Mailstop C1-30; 20 Cabot Blvd; Mansfield MA 02048-1193
Clever-Saying: Uucp me out of here, Scotty; there's no AI on this node!

michael@crlt.UUCP (02/22/87)

[I know there's a line eater, 'cause I've seen its droppings.}

Regarding the contention that block printing is a sign of intelligence -
I can see at least two ways that would develop.  First, people who have
taken drafting courses (self included) tend to switch to block for clarity,
and such courses tend to be taught in college, so the students have been
pre-sorted for what is publicly interpreted as "intelligence", and spend
years of intensive study of skills that amount to "looking smart".  Second,
people who are mentally active and flexible will often find the handwriting
they've been taught illegible, and make changes in it to solve the problem,
while the "clods", if they recognize the problem at all, will not think of
it as soluble, or only as soluble by "practicing harder" with the form of
script they've been taught.

In article <621@cdx39.UUCP>, jc@cdx39.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:

> Well, I adopted Italic script when I was about 22, and I've never
> regretted the couple hours it took to get it into my subconscious.

You've sold me, I want to try it.  Can you give me a pointer to a
good book (or teacher) on the subject - preferably the one you used,
since your results were so good?

  "I've got code in my node."	| UUCP:  ...!ihnp4!itivax!node!michael
				| AUDIO: (313) 973-8787
	Michael McClary		| SNAIL: 2091 Chalmers, Ann Arbor MI 48104
Above opinions are the official position of McClary Associates.  Customers
may have opinions of their own, which are given all the attention paid for.