[comp.misc] Flat Portable

lum@osupyr.UUCP (01/29/87)

In <1249@ucbcad.berkeley.edu> edjames@ic.Berkeley.EDU (Ed James) writes:
>In <275@netxcom.UUCP> ewiles@netxcom.UUCP (Edwin Wiles) writes:
>>If you need a keyboard, then use the touch sensitive screen to create one.
>
>No user feedback!  I hate membrane keyboards,....  [ The CPU, batteries,
>ROM_stuff and keyboard could fold up against screen when being carried.
>Keeping the folded package to around an inch or so thick is the trick. ]

Right!  Have you seen the HP-28C calculator?  There is an ad inside the
front cover of February's Scientific American.  It has a clamshell case,
with various keypads and displays inside both halves.

While we're wishing for stuff we probably won't get, how about fitting all
this into a notebook-size clamshell that unfolds both fully and partially,
and can be locked open at various angles.  The keys would still be cramped
or small in a 8 1/2" x 11" format, though, so I'd prefer 9 2/3" x 12 1/2".
We do have to lose the numeric keypad, or put it above the major keyboard
(rotated maybe?).  And while I'm at it, let's add a _real_ META (ie, 8th bit
set) key and CTRL-lock and META-lock keys, for Emacs, which would be _much_
more useful than a silly SHIFT-lock key.

Lum Johnson  lum@ohio-state.arpa  ..!cbosgd!osu-eddie{!osupyr}!lum

> ... And while I'm at it, let's add a _real_ META (ie, 8th bit
> set) key and CTRL-lock and META-lock keys, for Emacs...

Let us not forget that the days of real 8-bit character sets are almost
upon us.  The ISO Latin set, now an ANSI standard as well, will solve a
lot of problems, and software design which precludes its use (e.g. taking
the 8th bit for something else) is extremely shortsighted.
--
Legalize			Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
freedom!			{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

michael@crlt.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <197@osupyr.UUCP>, lum@osupyr.UUCP (Lum Johnson) writes:

> While we're wishing for stuff we probably won't get, how about fitting all
> this into a notebook-size clamshell that unfolds both fully and partially,
> and can be locked open at various angles.  The keys would still be cramped
> or small in a 8 1/2" x 11" format, though, so I'd prefer 9 2/3" x 12 1/2".

My keyboard is 11" by about 4" (or slightly higher if you include the row of
programmable-function keys that never get used when it's just being a
terminal).  Thus, if you sat the "notebook" crosswise it would fit in the
lower half of one 8 1/2" by 11" clamshell segment.  (This keyboard, by the
way, has standard key spacing.  The 11" width doesn't include the clutch of
cursor keys and the numeric keypad - but there's room past each end of the
spacebar for about three more keys.)

> We do have to lose the numeric keypad, or put it above the major keyboard
> (rotated maybe?).  And while I'm at it, let's add a _real_ META (ie, 8th bit
> set) key and CTRL-lock and META-lock keys, for Emacs, which would be _much_
> more useful than a silly SHIFT-lock key.

You can map a numeric keypad onto the standard keys by using a "keypad shift"
key in that out-of-the-way space to the left of the space bar.  (Pity you'd
have to relearn so much if you also eliminated the top row of keys in favor
of such a shift system.)  When you're doing keypad entry, moving your left
hand off the home position to operate the shift would be less of a hassle
than moving your right to a keypad, though it is a weaker mnemonic and might
promote typing errors.

  "I've got code in my node."	| UUCP:  ...!ihnp4!itivax!node!michael
				| AUDIO: (313) 973-8787
	Michael McClary		| SNAIL: 2091 Chalmers, Ann Arbor MI 48104
Above opinions are the official position of McClary Associates.  Customers
may have opinions of their own, which are given all the attention paid for.

phil@osiris.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <654@crlt.UUCP>, michael@crlt.UUCP (Michael McClary) writes:

> My keyboard is 11" by about 4"....  (This keyboard, by the way, has
> standard key spacing....

Interesting.. my keyboard (TAB E32 ASCII terminal if you care) measures
over 12" wide for just the QWERTY/ASCII section.  4" high sounds right,
though.

> You can map a numeric keypad onto the standard keys by using a "keypad shift"
> key in that out-of-the-way space to the left of the space bar.

I like this idea, even if it isn't original (look at an IBM keypunch if
you can find one, they did just this).

A comment on numeric keypads:  BAG THE SEPARATE NUMERIC KEYPAD/CURSOR
KEYS.  Being first a typist and second a programmer, I HATE having to
use a separate numeric keypad or cursor keys for ANYTYHING.  In some of
our user frontends, where the up- and down-arrow cursor keys are used
to scroll through large datasets displayed through screen "windows", I
invariably use the synonym ^J and ^K instead of the arrow keys.  Drives
everyone else here crazy.  Putting the "keypad" onto the "uiojklm,."
keys (or alternately "wersdfxcv" for those of us in our right minds :-)
is a REAL GOOD idea.  However, get it right, have the digits increasing
as you go up - none of this AT&T "one on the top and zero on the bottom"
silliness (which I believe was the case with the 026/029 keypunches).

                              ...!decvax!decuac -
Phil Kos                                          \
The Johns Hopkins Hospital    ...!seismo!mimsy  - -> !aplcen!osiris!phil
Baltimore, MD                                     /
                              ...!allegra!mimsy -

"And you'll be my duchess, my duchess of prunes!" - F. Zappa