[comp.misc] Looking for a ref. to TALE-SPIN

bk0h#@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP (02/23/87)

I am working on a project for one of my computer classes, and I am
looking for a book containing the source code to a program called
TALE-SPIN, written by James Meehan. I was told that it was contained in
a book with 4 other programs written at Yale, but I don't know the
title of the book. The program generates stories, given a "world"
setting with characters, etc. I have a book (Meehan's thesis, actually)
which makes references to the program, but which doesn't actually have
source code. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

		Brett

Brett Kuehner
bk0h@andrew.cmu.edu

pitaro@savax.UUCP (02/25/87)

In article <541066134.741.bk0h.newville.ibm032@andrew.cmu.edu>, bk0h#@andrew.cmu.edu (Brett Kuehner) writes:
> I am working on a project for one of my computer classes, and I am
> looking for a book containing the source code to a program called
> TALE-SPIN, written by James Meehan. I was told that it was contained in
> a book with 4 other programs written at Yale, but I don't know the
> title of the book. The program generates stories, given a "world"
> setting with characters, etc. I have a book (Meehan's thesis, actually)
> which makes references to the program, but which doesn't actually have
> source code. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Try "Inside Computer Understanding: Five Programs Plus Miniatures" by
Roger C. Schank and Christopher K. Riesbeck.  Published in 1981 by
Lawrence Erlbaum Associates (LEA).  The five programs are source code
for micro versions of SAM, PAM, TAPE-SPIN, POLITICS, and ELI.  They are
not in Common Lisp but are easily converted by using macros.

	Michael Pitaro

USMail:	Sanders Associates		UUCP:	decvax!savax!pitaro
	MER24-1583C			PHONE:	+1 (603) 885-9036
	CS 2034				HOME:	46-D Hampshire Drive
	Nashua, NH 03063-2034			Nashua, NH 03063