[comp.misc] 3M Black Watch and 700 Tapes

jin@hropus.UUCP (03/04/87)

I was told a while ago that 3M Black Watch tapes have a nasty tendancy
to pickup contaminants and scratch read/write heads.  Because of this
DEC maintenance would not cover damage done to drives by these
tapes.  The 3M 700 series tapes *look* just like Black Watch (matte
black color).  Are they also in the don't use catagory?

We're not under DEC maintenance so I can't ask them.
--
     Jerry Natowitz
     Bell Labs - HR 1A-247

authorplaceholder@gorgo.UUCP.UUCP (03/08/87)

hropus!jin writes:

>I was told a while ago that 3M Black Watch tapes have a nasty tendancy
>to pickup contaminants and scratch read/write heads.  Because of this
>DEC maintenance would not cover damage done to drives by these
>tapes.  The 3M 700 series tapes *look* just like Black Watch (matte
>black color).  Are they also in the don't use catagory?

I don't believe this for a second. I used the Series 700 tapes for two
years for daily backups with no ill effects (including head problems). I
also found that the error rates on these tapes were consistantly lower than
the DEC, Graham, and CDC tapes that I also used.

   Steve Blasingame (Oklahoma City)
   ihnp4!occrsh!gorgo!bsteve
   bsteve@eris.berkeley.edu

boykin@custom.UUCP (Joseph Boykin) (03/08/87)

In article <903@hropus.UUCP>, jin@hropus.UUCP (Jerry Natowitz) writes:
> I was told a while ago that 3M Black Watch tapes have a nasty tendancy
> to pickup contaminants and scratch read/write heads.   .....
> The 3M 700 series tapes *look* just like Black Watch.
> Are they also in the don't use catagory?

Absolutely!  I've had a policy for a LONG time that when I see a
3M 700 it immediately goes into the "circular file".  This was not
something that anyone told me to do, it was from lessons learned the
hard way!

--

Joe Boykin
Custom Software Systems