[comp.misc] Should we reuse mag tapes?

jacobo@megatest.UUCP (02/18/87)

   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?

   Would someone have a strong feeling, based on experience or data, one way
   or  the other?  I know that the whole idea of using mag tapes is that you
   can reuse them a good number of times,  but  I  have  also  heard  people
   saying that valuable info should go on virgin tapes.

   Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Please mail to  me  directly.
   Thanks.

							              Jacobo
   UUCP:   {decvax!decwrl, ucbvax, ihnp4} !sun!megatest!jacobo
	   {dlb, lbl-csam, amd, ubvax} !megatest!jacobo
   USMAIL: Megatest; 880 Fox Lane; San Jose, Ca 95131
   PHONE:  (408)437-9700 x 3171
--

ems@apple.UUCP (02/22/87)

In article <1058@megatest.UUCP> jacobo@megatest.UUCP (Jacobo Bulaevsky) writes:

>   The question is:  Is it safe to reuse mag tapes  for  important  data  or
>   should we use brand new tapes when storing critical information?
>
>   Would someone have a strong feeling, based on experience or data, one way
>   or  the other?  I know that the whole idea of using mag tapes is that you
>   can reuse them a good number of times,  but  I  have  also  heard  people
>   saying that valuable info should go on virgin tapes.
>
>   Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Please mail to  me  directly.
>   Thanks.

I think this topic is of general enough concern that replies should be
posted.  I'm interested.

WAR STORY:  Once upon a time a company I worked for used virgin tapes for
the important stuff.  Then we started having a strange problem.  Some
tapes would be fine for a while, then after being stored for a few days
would be unreadable.  This was never completely solved, but was believed
to be due to a batch of questionable tapes.

MORAL: Use relatively new, but not virgin tape for really important things.
You want to get past any 'infant mortality' problems and use a proven
product.  Avoid heavily used tape, as it can begin to develop problems.

We did one of our daily backups on a virgin tape, then took the oldest
tapes out to be 'keepers'  This gave the tape a few uses before something
critical went on it.  If we hit a bogus virgin tape, it was only one
days worth that was lost, the prior day having been done on a veteran
tape.  Of course, we had to check the backups periodically ...

It takes a LOT of uses to wear a tape out.  I would guess somewhere in
the hundred range or so...

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!sun!apple!ems

'If you can dream it, you can do it'  Walt Disney

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

res@ihlpl.UUCP (02/24/87)