[comp.misc] An Honest-to-Goodness Rumor!

artm@phred.UUCP (04/06/87)

I was recently informed that cash-rich Apple Computer
is seeking to buy out Sun (even as the latter is trying
to buy up most of the city of Milpitas).

Anyone care to confirm or deny this, and if it's true what is
the likelihood of (1.) them succeeding and (2.) some sort of
consolidation of product lines if it happens.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
                                                 Art Marriott
                                                 Physio-Control
                                                 tikal!phred!artm
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Workstations?  You mean we're supposed to **work** at these things?

ekwok@mipos3.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <1345@phred.UUCP> artm@phred.UUCP writes:
>I was recently informed that cash-rich Apple Computer
>is seeking to buy out Sun (even as the latter is trying
>to buy up most of the city of Milpitas).
>
>Anyone care to confirm or deny this, and if it's true what is
>the likelihood of (1.) them succeeding and (2.) some sort of
>consolidation of product lines if it happens.

I have no way to know about the truth of the rumor. However, I do have
some thoughts about the benefits of such a get-together. It would allow
Apple to get into the high performance market. If they pool their talents
together, they may be able to offer a line of Motorola-based machines
from home to big Vax capabilities. But I'm not sure the founders' at
sun are interested to see the sun in the home market!! I understand they
still control substantial amount of stock. Some of them may not see the
future of supercomputing in the home, as some of us see it so clearly.
Although everything has a price. The worst that can happen is that the
gurus' at sun cash out and retire to be gentleman farmers of Woodside
and Beverly Hills.

--

Eh, your honor sir, the prosecution pleads guilty.

ins_adhw@jhunix.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <1345@phred.UUCP> artm@phred.UUCP (Art "Faster! Faster!" Marriott) writes:
>I was recently informed that cash-rich Apple Computer
>is seeking to buy out Sun (even as the latter is trying
>to buy up most of the city of Milpitas).
>                                                 Art Marriott

I've been hearing these rumors for the past 3 or so years. It seems that
Apple keeps getting more cash, offering to buy Sun, being refused, and
trying again.  The most interesting part of the rumor (I think this may
have been from the Wall Street Journal) is that Apple is not interested
in Sun's products, but in their people.  Apple 4 years ago had to lay off
quite a few engineers and such, in order to get back into reasonable
financial condition, and now they need many more people with extensive
experience in 68020-based UNIX graphic workstations (i.e. Mac II).  Sun
fits that bill pretty well.
--
---------Daniel Wachsstock
Dept. of Biophysics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218

nelson@ohlone.UUCP (Bron Nelson) (04/09/87)

In article <4655@jhunix.UUCP>, ins_adhw@jhunix.UUCP (Daniel Wachsstock) writes:
> In article <1345@phred.UUCP> artm@phred.UUCP (Art "Faster! Faster!" Marriott) writes:
> >I was recently informed that cash-rich Apple Computer
> >is seeking to buy out Sun
>
> I've been hearing these rumors for the past 3 or so years. It seems that
> Apple keeps getting more cash, offering to buy Sun, being refused, and
> trying again.  The most interesting part of the rumor (I think this may
> have been from the Wall Street Journal) is that Apple is not interested
> in Sun's products, but in their people.

The folks at Apple have been known to use the phrase 'Sun killer' when
refering to the MacII.  I don't believe Sun really has to worry yet,
but it certainly seems that Apple is trying to muscle in on the market,
rather than buy out an existing company.  I tend to agree that the folks
at Sun are probably not too interested in selling out (on the other hand,
now that Sun is a public corporation, Apple could probably tender an offer
that the board couldn't refuse).  I think they'll slug it out in the market
for awhile yet.
-----------------------
Bron Nelson     {ihnp4, lll-lcc}!ohlone!nelson
Not the opinions of Cray Research

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) (04/13/87)

In the referenced article, Bron Nelson <nelson@ohlone.UUCP> writes:
	The folks at Apple have been known to use the phrase 'Sun
	killer' when refering to the MacII.  I don't believe Sun really
	has to worry yet, but it certainly seems that Apple is trying
	to muscle in on the market, rather than buy out an existing
	company.  I tend to agree that the folks at Sun are probably
	not too interested in selling out (on the other hand, now that
	Sun is a public corporation, Apple could probably tender an
	offer that the board couldn't refuse).  I think they'll slug it
	out in the market for awhile yet.

According to the Wall Street Journal of a week ago, Sun Microsystems
dropped its prices on the SUN-3/50M from $7,900 to $4,995. The
president of Sun was quoted as saying "we're geared up to produce
these things like cookies."

What was that about a "Sun killer"?

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu