[comp.misc] RS-232 Thermometer

frank@dvm.UUCP (Frank Wortner) (04/15/87)

(I apologize for posting this reply, but I could had trouble sending
mail to a number of people who asked for summaries.)

To those who asked for a copy of responses to my article on computer-
interfacable [sic] thermometers:

This is a copy of the replies I got.  I have not yet investigated the Heathkit,
but I have tried calling the outfit in Arizona.  They did not answer the phone.
Meanwhile, I have settled for having alarms ring in the building security
office in case of overtemperature, water leaks, etc.  David Preisler (see
below) did the same.

I have run across a device in the Radio Shack catalog that monitors
temperature (cat # 43-166, page 145).  The description says that the device
can be programmed to call upto 4 telephone numbers in case of emergency.
It also has a microphone so that you can listen to noises in the room over
the telephone.  You can also call it  to get temperature readings over the
phone.  Best part: it costs only $99.95!  (With the way the Yen has been
going, it may be higher now.)  I'm going to get one.

Many thanks to those who replied.  Good luck to everyone trying to keep
their machines cool!

					-Frank

> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 87 10:37:19 est
> From: phri!bc-cis!preis (David Preisler)
> To: phri!orville!dvm!frank
> Subject: Re: Computer Thermometer
> Newsgroups: comp.misc
>
> Well, you have several options:
>
> 	You can purchase a Heathkit weather station that has an rs232 built
>         in, but if you say you have everything you need but the actual
> 	temperature taking device... You might try to build a thermocouple,
> 	( I saw a project in the World Book Encyclopedia for one, it looked
> 	simple enough ).  If you don't want to build anything yourself,
> 	you might visit your local electronics shop, radio shack, or tv/radio
> 	repair place.
>
> 	( I felt compelled to answer because I'm also in the market for a
> 	  temperature sensor, but I will probably have Buildings and Grounds
> 	  construct one for us. )
>

> 				thanks,
>
> 				David William Preisler
> 				Assistant System Administrator
> phone: (718) 996-7375 (h)
>              780-5905 (w)	Brooklyn College
> 				Computer Science Department
> electronic mail:		c/o rm. 0300 NE
>       preis@bc-cis.UUCP        	Bedford Avenue and Ave H
>       calbc289@cunyvm.BITNET	Brooklyn, New York 11210
>

> Subject: Re: Computer Thermometer
> Newsgroups: comp.misc
> Date: 2 Apr 87 12:53:35 CST (Thu)
> From: phri!meccts.MECC.COM!cmcl2!rutgers!sewilco (Scot E. Wilcoxon)
>
> You could connect a thermostat to a parallel input port which software
> can detect.  When the switch closes, software can take action (ie, run
> shutdown program).
>
> I did this with the mouse switch port on an Apple Lisa running XENIX.
> Instead of a thermostat I used a surplus $2 attic fan, basically a
> fixed-temperature thermostat.
>
> Date: Wed, 1 Apr 87 22:32:21 PST
> From: phri!cmcl2!rutgers!ames!ucbcad!ucbvax!ucdavis!uop!vortex12 (Todd  Dokey)
> To: ucdavis!ucbvax!ucbcad!ames!rutgers!brl-adm!seismo!cmcl2!phri!orville!dvm!frank
> Subject: Re: Computer Thermometer
>

> 	have you tried using a thermal resistor setup?
> 	or a modified thermostat (mercury switch) to close
> 	or open a switch to a cpu built to handle the data?
> 	or modifying a heathkit weather station to handle the
> 	data on the room temp. and humidity in order to control
> 	the air systems??? and in conjunction with a secondary
> 	system used to monitor super-critical values...like
> 	meltdown!! (put sensors inside the cabinets and run
> 	the monstor system through a series of voltages into a
> 	DAS board in a pc or clone...then you can write software
> 	to do all the work for you...if you want to know where
> 	to get the das boards..let me know..i have the book at
> 	home, and can upload the stuff to you...

> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 87 16:22:23 PST
> From: phri!cmcl2!rutgers!uw-beaver!tektronix!reed!percival!gary (Gary Wells)
> To: reed!tektronix!uw-beaver!mit-eddie!rutgers!brl-adm!seismo!cmcl2!phri!orville!dvm!frank
> Subject: Re: Computer Thermometer
> [...]
				Frank
				...!inhp4!allegra!phri!orville!dvm!frank