[comp.misc] Interactive fiction

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (05/11/87)

     I first posted a notice on interactive fiction to the ST,
Mac, and Amiga newsgroups because those computers have the
necessary graphic environment to carry off interactive fiction.  I
received quite a number of responses from different people
expressing an interest in being put on a mailing list or in
starting a new Usenet discussion group.  I asked around to find
out the proper method of starting a new group and was told that I
needed to talk about interactive fiction on an existing newsgroup
for a while, then get names on a petition, and then apply to the
net powers that be for a new newsgroup provided that I had shown
that there was enough interest to warrant the new group.  This
procedure seems reasonable, so I am writing to these newsgroups to
inform all those who are interested in interactive fiction and
those who previously replied that I will be discussing it in
MISC.MISC.
     I decided on MISC.MISC because it is for those topics which
don't really fit into any existing newsgroup.  I don't think that
interactive fiction does.  It is not a game, yet it is
entertainment while also being serious literature.  It can also be
used for computer-aided instruction and has a certain relationship
to artificial intelligence.  It needs the technology of the
computer and the creativity of the writer.  What it needs more
than anything else at the moment is interest.  People must realize
that it is not a game and it is not trivial, it is real.  This
discussion will be devoted to any and all of the aspects of
interactive fiction with the goal of developing it as a new medium
for reading and writing with the aid of the computer.
     To start the new discussion off on the right foot (or left
foot, it's non-discriminatory), I will start posting the messages
from the CSNEWS@MAINE discussion group that I started at the
beginning of 1987.  I will also accept any email, but please
specify if you don't want your ideas posted because I believe in
free distribution of pertinant information.  In short, please give
the subject a chance.  I think it is very interesting and has a
great future.
                         Thank you,
                             Adam Engst

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu.UUCP
pv9y@cornella.bitnet

gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) (05/13/87)

Expires:
OK, Adam, let me say that my experience with this form is quite limited.  We
have a "storyboard" on our system, & there have been several attempts to
get/keep a story alive, all of which have failed.  The primary problems that
I have seen:
1)Lack of continuity.  To many little fingers have been in the pie, & the story
line gets lost.  Granted that this form should have a much looser concept of
story line, still, if the context is medival forest, lasers would seem to be
an inappropreate weapon.
2)Digresions into who was sabotaging who's character, etc.
3)Start up of another, non-compatable story in the midst of the existing story.

Next?

Wudda yeah mean, I'm gonna get in trouble?  I AM in trouble!

...tektronix!reed!percival!gary

werner@aecom.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <610@percival.UUCP>, gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) writes:

> OK, Adam, let me say that my experience with this form is quite limited.  We
> have a "storyboard" on our system, & there have been several attempts to
> get/keep a story alive, all of which have failed.  The primary problems that
> I have seen:
> 1)Lack of continuity. Too many fingers have been in the pie, & the story
> line gets lost.
> 2)Digresions into who was sabotaging who's character, etc.
> 3)Start up of another,non-compatable story in the midst of the existing story.

	Funny. The above reminds me of quite a bit of the
Mahabharata, especially the 3rd objection.

--
			      Craig Werner (MD/PhD '91)
				!philabs!aecom!werner

gary@percival.UUCP (05/19/87)

Sorry, I've never heard of the Mahabarata (or whatever).  I assume form context
that it has multiple digressions & regressons.  So, wwe now have a reference to
another source of poor writing skills.  How does that apply in this discussion?