[comp.misc] Silly faces :-)

jfh@killer.UUCP (04/28/87)

Would someone please post a list of all of the known funny/silly/sad
faces/laughs/sighs/etc used in postings.  I have gotten to the point
where I can't tell if something is serious :-(, sarcastic/funny :-)
or whatnot.  I am probably the most naive person in North America, (I didn't
believe that cows had to be gotten pregnant to give milk, I thought God
had just made then that way.  I was 23 when I found out ...) and not having
facial expressions/tonal inflection to use to determine the seriousness of the
material is a REAL handicap.

- John.		(jfh@killer.UUCP)

wendyk@nvuxr.UUCP (05/07/87)

jfh@killer.UUCP asks:
> Would someone please post a list of all of the known funny/silly/sad
> faces/laughs/sighs/etc used in postings.

Oh, god!  Please don't post these *again*!  Mail them to the guy...

The whole net thanks you in advance.

quan@hplabsc.UUCP (05/11/87)

In article <810@killer.UUCP>, jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) writes:
>              I am probably the most naive person in North America, (I didn't
> believe that cows had to be gotten pregnant to give milk, I thought God
> had just made then that way.  I was 23 when I found out ...)
>
> - John.		(jfh@killer.UUCP)

John,
	are serious or joking about the cow and its milk.

Please answer, because I am 43 and I still think (at ths moment) that cows
are born to make milk, with no external help from the bull.

I don't want to disseminate false information to my daughter if she
ever asks.

Suu <finally I have beaten a record> Quan

gary@percival.UUCP (Gary Wells) (05/13/87)

Expires:
Sorry to destroy your beliefs, but until a female bovine has visited the bull,
she's not even a cow.  She's a heifer.  After she has a calf, _then_ she's a
cow.  In between, she's a bred heifer.  And if you don't keep milking her,
she'll dry up & you'll have to visit the bull again, though she's never again
a heifer.  The bull, of course, doesn't care, either way.
.

Wudda yeah mean, I'm gonna get in trouble?  I AM in trouble!

...tektronix!reed!percival!gary

jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) (05/15/87)

In article <1793@hplabsc.UUCP>, quan@hplabsc.UUCP (Suu Quan) writes:
> In article <810@killer.UUCP>, jfh@killer.UUCP (John Haugh) writes:
> >              I am probably the most naive person in North America, (I didn't
> > believe that cows had to be gotten pregnant to give milk, I thought God
> > had just made then that way.  I was 23 when I found out ...)
> >
> > - John.		(jfh@killer.UUCP)
>
> John,
> 	are serious or joking about the cow and its milk.
>
> Please answer, because I am 43 and I still think (at ths moment) that cows
> are born to make milk, with no external help from the bull.
>
> I don't want to disseminate false information to my daughter if she
> ever asks.
>

> Suu <finally I have beaten a record> Quan

Yes - I believed that cows were born to give milk and that mankind was
doing the cows a favor by milking them.  I won't say what other things
I believed that have since turned out to be totally incorrect.  My
mother was raised on a farm in Pennsylvania and set me straight one
day.  Of course, I also understand that bulls have been bred to be so
large that they can no longer impregnate cows because the poor cow would
get crushed.  THIS I find hard to believe...

Seems I need more stuff.  My current misbelief is that the song with the
words 'Do-op Do-op' (of which there are plenty ... :-) are actually
computer songs.  I like to tell people this to make them wonder which
cave I spent my  childhood in.  I also have some new smiley faces ...

	:-{)	- man with mustache
	:-(||)	- face with braces (the braces look too much like a mustache)

- John.		(jfh@killer.UUCP)

Disclaimer -
	No disclaimer.  Whatcha gonna do, sue me?

janet@blic.BLI.COM (Janet Panighetti) (05/20/87)

> [...]I also have some new smiley faces ...
>
>       :-{)	- man with mustache
>	:-(||)	- face with braces (the braces look too much like a mustache)
>
>- John.		(jfh@killer.UUCP)

         :-)#)  - my version of face with braces

--JP

jcz@sas.UUCP (John Carl Zeigler) (05/20/87)

Yes, cows must be pregnant to give milk, but I think someone is working
on a safe hormone to make them appear pregnant to their endocrine
systems.
(isn't this misc.misc????)

--
--jcz
John Carl Zeigler

dave@leo.UUCP ( Dave Hill) (05/22/87)

Is this a quiz?

	how about :$)  if you've had your nose fixed

	or      (-:-)  if you don't know if you're coming or going?
--
		"Be scientific; be genetic!"

{allegra!hplabs!felix, ihnp4!trwrb!felix, seismo!rlgvax}!ccicpg!leo!dave

robertd@ncoast.UUCP (Rob DeMarco) (05/22/87)

In article <108@blic.BLI.COM> janet@blic.BLI.COM (Janet Panighetti) writes:

>> [...]I also have some new smiley faces ...
>>
>>       :-{)	- man with mustache
>>	:-(||)	- face with braces (the braces look too much like a mustache)
>>
>>- John.		(jfh@killer.UUCP)
>

>         :-)#)  - my version of face with braces
>
>--JP

            :-({})   - My version of face with braces.

            :-[]))   - Double chined person
--
[             Rob DeMarco             ]

ed@qtc.UUCP (Ed Lisle) (05/22/87)

 It seems to me that the silly face  :-(||) is more like fat lips
than braces or a mustache

        |  Ed Lisle                             |   ogcvax!          |
        |  Quantitative Technology Corporation  |   verdix!  qtc!ed  |
        |  Beaverton, OR        (503) 626-3081  |  sequent!          |