[comp.misc] random glitch

jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) (06/10/87)

Perhaps the references to a random glitch program are inspired by

	1) the INFECT command from some versions of the Un*x manual

	2) "The Adolescence of P1" - author's name lost in my write-only
	    memory -
	    about a self reproducing program that is started by a
	    student to get access to other machines, and from each
	    machine it successfully enters, it tries to enter
	    others.  it eventually gets so big that it reaches sentience
	    and tries to find its creator.
	    very good light reading - it's in paperback and has been
	    available for probably 6 or 7 years

John Carter
AT&T Communications - Atlanta RWC
USnail:	3001 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta GA 30339
E-mail:	...ihnp4!cuea2!ltuxa!ll1!nesac2!jec
Voice:	404+951-4642
(The above views are my very own. How dare you question them? :-)
--

richard@gryphon.UUCP (06/13/87)

In article <1237@nesac2.UUCP>, jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) writes:
> Perhaps the references to a random glitch program are inspired by
>
> 	1) the INFECT command from some versions of the Un*x manual
>
> 	2) "The Adolescence of P1" - author's name lost in my write-only
> 	    memory -
> 	    available for probably 6 or 7 years
                                   ^^^^^^
Shoot! I read it in '79 and the copy I had was kinda old. I Hear the
author was a Waterloo type who ended up at Digital Research.

There was a Canadian short movie based on this book. Fair.
--
Richard Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

bbownes@eagle_snax.UUCP ( Sun ECD Software) (06/22/87)

In article <711@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> In article <1237@nesac2.UUCP>, jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM) writes:
> > Perhaps the references to a random glitch program are inspired by
> >
> > 	1) the INFECT command from some versions of the Un*x manual
> >
> > 	2) "The Adolescence of P1" - author's name lost in my write-only
> > 	    memory -
> > 	    available for probably 6 or 7 years
>                                    ^^^^^^
> Shoot! I read it in '79 and the copy I had was kinda old. I Hear the
> author was a Waterloo type who ended up at Digital Research.

	"The Adolescence of P1" was written by Thomas J. Ryan, a
"computer consultant and troubleshooter". Since my copy is in Albany
and not here i can't tell you the publication date. However, I have a
first print, first edition of the trade paperback, and it has on the cover
a picture of: adm3a, Altair 8800b, Altair Disk, and altair EPROM programmer.
I believe it was published in or around 1976.

	I always like the phrase just after the dedication:

		"Nothing works....And Nobody cares"
					Woody Allen.

	Bob Bownes 	Sun Microsystems East Coast Division
	sun!suneast!beowulf!bbownes

This is my opinion and mine only. It is not shared by my current or
any former employers. It may however, be shared by my TR-6 or my houseplants.