[comp.misc] Hacker Scholarship -- "stiffer penalties" are the answer

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (07/13/87)

In article <1226@osiris.UUCP>, jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:
> I my opinion, a little of all aspects of protection is necessary.  A
> combination of stiffer penalties for computer fraud/vandalism/theft...

Yeah, stiffer penalties.  Let's really get 'em.  Let's make it a year
in jail, no time off for good behaviour, if you steal some information from
someone's computer.  Right?

How many of you reading this have a copy of the Unix source under your
bed at home?  A bootleg copy of "ultra rogue"?  Perhaps a compiler you
never really paid for, or your favorite hacks from your previous job?
Some pretty graphics pictures that you aren't sure where they came from?

Oh, I see.  The new penalties will only apply to TEENAGE crackers.
Or those who use the telephone.  But not to professionals like us,
who steal with magtapes and are key employees at major corporations.

The jails are gonna get crowded, but at least we'll have good company...

	"Usenix in '94 -- Sing Sing"

PS: If you didn't get it, the point is that the whole computer culture
is rife with what the main culture would call "theft", but it is the
norm here, and the only major damage seems to be in our brains: schizoid
ideas about intellectual property ownership that aren't fully worked
out.  AT&T is probably BETTER OFF that you have that bootleg Unix
source, since you won't call them to get your problems fixed, you'll
just fix them yourself.  One more Unix wizard in the making.

I advise that we stay clear of laws and lawmakers and work it out ourselves.
The whole thing is a plot by lawyers to cash in on the computer boom.
--
{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu	     gnu@postgres.berkeley.edu
Alt.all: the alternative radio of the Usenet.

jru@etn-rad.UUCP (John Unekis) (07/14/87)

>PS: If you didn't get it, the point is that the whole computer culture
>is rife with what the main culture would call "theft", but it is the
>norm here, and the only major damage seems to be in our brains: schizoid
>ideas about intellectual property ownership that aren't fully worked
>out.  AT&T is probably BETTER OFF that you have that bootleg Unix
>source, since you won't call them to get your problems fixed, you'll
>just fix them yourself.  One more Unix wizard in the making.
>
>I advise that we stay clear of laws and lawmakers and work it out ourselves.
>The whole thing is a plot by lawyers to cash in on the computer boom.
>--
>{dasys1,ncoast,well,sun,ihnp4}!hoptoad!gnu	     gnu@postgres.berkeley.edu
>Alt.all: the alternative radio of the Usenet.

     This person has great wisdom!