[comp.misc] Hacker Scholarship

gcm@mtgzz.UUCP (g.c.mccoury) (06/18/87)

  Wonder why we have so many security problems at our comp centers -
read on.

************************************
From Asbury Park Press (week of 6/15)
************************************

	        APPLE FOUNDER OFFERS SCHOLARSHIP FOR HACKERS
	          - Associated Press

	Boulder, CO - Computer whiz Stephen Wozniak has donated $100,000 for
    a University of Colorado scholarship aimed at developing excellence in
    computer hackers at his alma mater.
	"The value of cracking security codes and understanding them is that
    generates incredible knowledge," said Wozniak, one of the original hackers
    and co-founder of Apple Computer Inc.
	Wozniak said he actually encourages the "mildly" social deviants" to
    break access and security codes as a way to learn.
	The "Woz" scholarship program is twofold: a tuition grant and a job
    working with the computer science department.
	"There is a misconception that hackers are dangerous to society,"
    Wozniak said. "They are just trying to do things that they are not supposed
    to be able to do."
	As a freshman at CU in 1969, Wozniak tapped into the university's
    computer system to print out reams of mathematical information. Angry
    university officials placed him on probation, and, he said, on the road to
    Apple Computer.

	...nuff said.

*									   *
*      e N			Grover McCoury				   *
*    B     o			ATT Laboratories(?) [was ISL]		   *
*   y       r m a l  ??		...!ihnp4!mtgzz!gcm			   *
*   h									   *
*     W				I refuse to have a battle of wits	   *
*				  with an unarmed person...		   *
*									   *
****************************************************************************/

andys@genesis.UUCP (a.b.sherman) (06/18/87)

In article <2757@mtgzz.UUCP>, gcm@mtgzz.UUCP writes:

>   Wonder why we have so many security problems at our comp centers -
> read on.
>
> ************************************
> From Asbury Park Press (week of 6/15)
> ************************************
>
> 	        APPLE FOUNDER OFFERS SCHOLARSHIP FOR HACKERS
> 	          - Associated Press
>
> 	Boulder, CO - Computer whiz Stephen Wozniak has donated $100,000 for
>     a University of Colorado scholarship aimed at developing excellence in
>     computer hackers at his alma mater.
> 	"The value of cracking security codes and understanding them is that
>     generates incredible knowledge," said Wozniak, one of the original hackers
>     and co-founder of Apple Computer Inc.
> 	Wozniak said he actually encourages the "mildly" social deviants" to
>     break access and security codes as a way to learn.
> 	As a freshman at CU in 1969, Wozniak tapped into the university's
>     computer system to print out reams of mathematical information. Angry
>     university officials placed him on probation, and, he said, on the road to
>     Apple Computer.
>
> 	...nuff said.

First, I think that used to be done here with blue-boxers.
However toll fraud is now a multi-million dollar industry that is no
longer cute, no longer funny and no longer tolerable to our
business.

Second, I think the social deviance is more than mild when people
hack away at other people's work or learning environment.  It is one
thing to figure out how to become root.  It is quite another to use
that knowledge to make it impossible for other people (NOT faceless
representatives of Ma Bell, but PEOPLE) to do their work.  Somebody
who thinks it's cute to cream the root file system of somebody
else's computer is extremely anti-social.  Real people have their
livelihoods, and professional reputations tied up with the data that
is lost, and suffer from real depression and frustration when it
happens.

Screw Wozniak and send the bastards to jail.
--
andy sherman / at&t bell laboratories (medical diagnostic systems)
room 2h-097 / 480 red hill road / middletown, nj 07748

mel1@houxa.UUCP (06/19/87)

I agree with much of what Andy says, but feel that his anger should
mostly be directed to the people who consciously allow the hackers
to do so much damage.  Woz's work was done several generations of
system software and hardware ago.  The holes were well know then
and still allowed to exist.  They exist now and are still allowed
to exist.  Why?  Who makes these decisions?  Why?

The DES algorithm is now quite old, but still not used in computer
hardware.  Why?  Call back and random password techniques are readily
available, but aren't used.  Why?  Data communication protocols are
well into the standards making procedure, but don't include
encryption capabilities.  Why?  Our computer systems can be designed
to be reliable and fault tolerant, but still require "superuser"
gurus to administer them.  Why?

I think the damage is being done by the people who bury their heads
in the sand and foist these security horrors onto the public, not
the college kid hackers.

Make it so that nothing gets onto any storage hardware in clear text.
Don't allow anyone to get access to the system without their handy-dandy
vest pocket gadget.  Don't put anything over any line or cable in
clear text.  Don't let anybody, ever, get into the system with
"privileged" access.  ----  Then, do as Woz suggests, and pay the
brightest and best to find holes in the defenses.  And pay rewards
for being a hacker and learning the next generation of techniques to
cause problems.  ----  Then DO SOMETHING about the problems, don't let
another 12 years or so go by with heads buryed.

   Mel Haas  ,  odyssey!mel

anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu.UUCP (06/19/87)

In article <532@houxa.UUCP> mel1@houxa.UUCP (M.HAAS) writes:

]I agree with much of what Andy says, but feel that his anger should
]mostly be directed to the people who consciously allow the hackers
]to do so much damage.
[...]
]The holes were well know then
]and still allowed to exist.  They exist now and are still allowed
]to exist.  Why?  Who makes these decisions?  Why?

In a free and open society (I would maintain that despite its
obvious problems, this should remain amongst our highest social
ideals), access to information should be universal, simple, and
cheap.  Encryption, like government classification of sensitive
materials, is basically contrary to such ideals.  Since we are
constrained to be practical, and since the world is such an
imperfect place, we are more or less forced to compromise such
principles.  But we should always keep information access as
open as we can.  The place to deal with miscreants among us is
not enforcement but education and socialization.

Actually, I think the worst aspect of the Woz Award is that it
perpetuates a false notion of what hackers are.  Originally, the
term did not imply criminal behavior, and it's unfortunate that
it increasingly does.

]I think the damage is being done by the people who bury their heads
]in the sand and foist these security horrors onto the public, not
]the college kid hackers.

Security is not obtained with locks (nor indeed with weapons), but
by ethical behavior such as honesty and respect for others.
==ARPA:===============anderson@vms.macc.wisc.edu===Jess Anderson======
| UUCP: {harvard,seismo,rutgers,  (avoid ihnp4!)   1210 W. Dayton    |
|   akgua,allegra,usbvax}!uwvax!uwwircs!anderson   Madison, WI 53706 |
==BITNET:======================anderson@wiscmacc===608/263-6988=======

gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) (06/19/87)

A.B.Sherman, apparantly from AT&T, complained about Steve Wozniak
giving a $100K/yr scholarship for young hackers.  [I can't cross-post
to att.workplace from here, sorry.]

Indeed, Woz used to hack the phone system.  But I don't think he
committed much "toll fraud" in the sense of getting communications
service for free.  Just like many people who use other peoples'
computers don't use them to make money, just use them to learn on.
This is often encouraged in the computer community; we all learn
faster, and bright kids get to play with 'the real stuff' so by
the time they get a job they will know a lot about what's going on.
Woz was exploring how the phone network is built, as we might explore
the wonders of tty handling, the contents of /lib, or the rare
treasures of comp.binaries.ibm.pc.

>                                                            It is one
> thing to figure out how to become root.  It is quite another to use
> that knowledge to make it impossible for other people (NOT faceless
> representatives of Ma Bell, but PEOPLE) to do their work.  Somebody
> who thinks it's cute to cream the root file system...

Woz's comments in the article were pretty clear.

        "There is a misconception that hackers are dangerous to society,"
    Wozniak said. "They are just trying to do things that they are not
    supposed to be able to do."

He wants to reward young people who explore the limits of today's
technology and find its weaknesses.  (It's up to us, who develop
tomorrow's technology, to fix what they find.  You can't claim somebody
is ripping you off if you leave your door wide open.  The kids will
probably be glad to help us.)  Woz is not out to teach kids how to
destroy a system, but how to learn about a system.  That knowledge can
be used for Good or E-vill as can all knowledge.  Nobody will be
teaching how to cream root file systems.

> However toll fraud is now a multi-million dollar industry that is no
> longer cute, no longer funny and no longer tolerable to our
> business.

OK, toll fraud is no longer tolerable to your business.  Why don't you
stop it?  Stop assigning account numbers that are printed in
directories in every home.  Stop printing the security code (password)
on the credit card.  Allow the user to change the password.  Basically,
treat it like an access control rather than an unchecked billing
number.  About 1980, Sprint was massively hacked by youngsters.  They
were using 5-digit account numbers and assigning them in groups; with
15 minutes' work at a touchtone pad you could come up with 3 or 4
account numbers that worked fine for 'toll fraud'.  After a year or two
of this, Sprint wised up, lengthened the numbers, assigned them at
random, and tacked on 2 more digits if you were not using your 'home CO',
making brute force attack impractical.  They didn't go yelling about
blue boxes or buying congressmen to make 'hurting the phone company' a
criminal offense, they fixed the problem.  Why hasn't AT&T done this?
--
{sun,ptsfa,lll-crg,ihnp4,ucbvax}!hoptoad!gnu	       gnu@ingres.berkeley.edu
Kudos to Stargate for permitting redistribution.   May the Source be with you!

baum@apple.UUCP (Allen J. Baum) (06/19/87)

--------
[]
>In article <345@genesis.UUCP> andys@genesis.UUCP (a.b.sherman) writes:
>In article <2757@mtgzz.UUCP>, gcm@mtgzz.UUCP writes:
>>

>> 	        APPLE FOUNDER OFFERS SCHOLARSHIP FOR HACKERS
>> 	          - Associated Press
>>
>> 	Boulder, CO - Computer whiz Stephen Wozniak has donated $100,000 for
>>     a University of Colorado scholarship aimed at developing excellence in
>>     computer hackers at his alma mater.........
>> 	"The value of cracking security codes and understanding them is that
>>   generates incredible knowledge," said Wozniak, one of the original hackers
>>     and co-founder of Apple Computer Inc.
>
>....... I think the social deviance is more than mild when people
>hack away at other people's work or learning environment.  It is one
>thing to figure out how to become root.  It is quite another to use
>that knowledge to make it impossible for other people (NOT faceless
>representatives of Ma Bell, but PEOPLE) to do their work.  Somebody
>who thinks it's cute to cream the root file system of somebody
>else's computer is extremely anti-social.  Real people have their
>livelihoods, and professional reputations tied up with the data that
>is lost, and suffer from real depression and frustration when it
>happens.
>
>Screw Wozniak and send the bastards to jail.

I don't believe Woz is advocating creaming a file system. He is
advocating breaking the file system security, and learning a lot
about the guts of the system in the process (like he did). He
believes this kind of hands-on experience is the best way to learn,
and that people are responsible and wouldn't abuse this system of
learning (I didn't say he wasn't naive and idealistic)
--
{decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4}!nsc!apple!baum		(408)973-3385

hah@isum.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (06/20/87)

In article <345@genesis.UUCP> andys@genesis.UUCP (a.b.sherman) writes:
>In article <2757@mtgzz.UUCP>, gcm@mtgzz.UUCP writes:
>>
>>   Wonder why we have so many security problems at our comp centers -
>> read on.
>>
>> ************************************
>> From Asbury Park Press (week of 6/15)
>> ************************************
>>
>> 	        APPLE FOUNDER OFFERS SCHOLARSHIP FOR HACKERS
>> 	          - Associated Press
>>
>First, I think that used to be done here with blue-boxers.
>However toll fraud is now a multi-million dollar industry that is no
>longer cute, no longer funny and no longer tolerable to our
>business.
>
>Second, I think the social deviance is more than mild when people
>hack away at other people's work or learning environment.  It is one
>thing to figure out how to become root.  It is quite another to use
>that knowledge to make it impossible for other people (NOT faceless
>representatives of Ma Bell, but PEOPLE) to do their work.  Somebody
>who thinks it's cute to cream the root file system of somebody
>else's computer is extremely anti-social.  Real people have their
>livelihoods, and professional reputations tied up with the data that
>is lost, and suffer from real depression and frustration when it
>happens.
>
>Screw Wozniak and send the bastards to jail.
>--
>andy sherman

Its too bad that you failed to fully reason this out before firing off
your followup.

What Woz is trying to do will IMPROVE systems security not destroy it.
As more holes are found and plugged all computer users will benifit,
INCLUDING Ma Bell!  If anything all security conscious companies should
follow Woz's lead.  The fact that it is so easy to rip off the Phone
Company should SHOUT that you have major problems.  Don't stick your
head in the sand and expect the problems to go away!  Donate computer
systems with your latest software to schools and have them HACK away
in a controlled environment.  Find your BACK DOORS and put locks on
them!  If this is handled correctly it can be a BIG win for the whole
computer using society.

As far as Woz being ANTI-SOCIAL, I think if you just calm down and
reasses his true intent you will come to the conclusion that he is
a real leader!

Hans

apc@cblpe.UUCP (06/20/87)

In article <2318@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>You can't claim somebody
>is ripping you off if you leave your door wide open.

Why the 'ell not!  It is my stuff inside my house, you know it,
and I know it.  Just cause I leave my door wide open, is NOT
a statment of lack of ownership.

Jeez, what is today's society comming to if it can only be considered
theft if you break through six locks, three alarm systems, kill
four guard dogs, etc.

Mine is mine, not yours!!!

(I am upset, obviously!)
--
"Are you sure you won't change your mind?"           | Alan P. Curtis
"Is there something wrong with the one I have?"      | AT&T,BTL,CB

jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) (06/20/87)

In article <532@houxa.UUCP>, mel1@houxa.UUCP (M.HAAS) writes:
> The DES algorithm is now quite old, but still not used in computer
> hardware.  Why?
>    Mel Haas  ,  odyssey!mel

According to many, the DES algorithm is not used because the feds designed it
so that THEY could break it.  The NSA doesn't want any codes being used that
they can't break.

This is why people who really want to seriously encrypt their messages/data
use RSA public key encryption.  This supposedly beats DES any day. 31 Bit key
for DES vs. huge (50 deciman digit) prime for RSA.  RSA wins.

BTW, I don't think NSA / DOD / CIA super secret goop is done using DES.

Nonetheless, there is no excuse for not using some standard kind of encryption
for each system, especially sensitive network links.

						Spidey!

--
DON'T PANIC!!!                                              \_\ /_/  Yes, it is
                                                             _[*]_   supposed to

worley@dana.UUCP (John Worley) (06/21/87)

Mel Haas (odessy!mel) writes:

> The holes were well know then
> and still allowed to exist.  They exist now and are still allowed
> to exist.  Why?  Who makes these decisions?  Why?

    Can you say $$$,$$$,$$$?  I thought you could.

> The DES algorithm is now quite old, but still not used in computer
> hardware.  Why?  Call back and random password techniques are readily
> available, but aren't used.  Why?  Data communication protocols are
> well into the standards making procedure, but don't include
> encryption capabilities.  Why?  Our computer systems can be designed
> to be reliable and fault tolerant, but still require "superuser"
> gurus to administer them.  Why?
>
> I think the damage is being done by the people who bury their heads
> in the sand and foist these security horrors onto the public, not
> the college kid hackers.

FLAME ON!

    ARGH!!  This is equivalent to suggesting personal armor is the solution
to violent crime!!  Are victims of muggings, rape, murder, etc., at fault
because they "bury their heads in the sand" and expect reasonable behavior
from their fellow humans?!

FLAME OFF (heat still on)

    When I was at UCLA, there was an freshman who managed to get access to
our 4.1 UNIX system, and proceeded to go traipsing all over the ARPA net
using well-known security holes.  This twit was far from "the best and the
brightest" - he was a fool was got off on stealing other peoples accounts.
To the best of my knowledge, he ended up doing community service, and I say
AMEN! HE PAID FOR HIS CRIME!

    "Kid hackers" are not doing anything constructive, adventurous, or even
cute, any more than the kid trying to break into your car to take it for a
joy ride  (In fact, the California penal code makes no distinction between
the taking of another's car temporarily or permanently).  A computer system,
whether private, corporate or academic, is as much private property as your
house, car or stereo.  If you leave your front door unlocked, is it OK for
anyone off the street to just walk right in?  If you leave your bicycle for
a few minutes, is it OK for anyone to just walk up and borrow it? Breaking
system security is a malicious activity and a direct, deliberate violation
of private property!

    As Andy Sherman (andys@shlepper.ATT.COM) said: Screw Wozniak and send the
bastards to jail!

					John Worley
					hplabs!dana!worley

Disclaimer:	The opinions expressed herein are mine soley and do not
		reflect those of Dana Computer, its other employees, or
		its customers.

edw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Eddie Wyatt) (06/22/87)

  Mel Hass seems to advocate the philosophy similiar to if you don't
protect yourself then you deserve what you get.  I don't think most people
would say that just because you make yourself vulnerable you deserve to
become a victim.

  There are measures one can take to prevent becoming a victim however, and
this is the stand I believe Wozniak is taking.  As an example - just because
you leave you car unlock doesn't mean that are asking someone the steal
your car, but also you should realize that the chances of it getting
stolen are greater.  If you install a alarm system or steering wheel
lock then the chances of it getting stolen are less.

  To install an alarm system, so to speak, in a computer system
you must first understand how the thief is breaking the existing
security features.  As others have pointed out, the problem of
hackers breaking your systems won't go away with a wave of legislation's
magic wand.

  The computer science community should do everything posible to improve
security. The first step in this process is to find the loop holes
in existing systems.  Second fix  these loop holes.  And finally
incorperate these changes in new systems.

   This method of course has some practicle throw backs, such as
in finding loop holes in a system, any other company that owns
such a system in now vulnerable if such knowledge is made publicly
availible.

  Let me share three case of security problems I know of.

	case 1. (Source OS class)  Linear password decomposition algorithm.

	Two very interesting utilities in a certain unknown OS combined to
	provide a technique of decoding any password in linear time respective
	of the length of the password.  The utilities were a facility
	for determining when a page fault occurred in a application
	program so that the user could finely tune a program preformance
	and the other happened to be the password untility and the way
	in which it was coded.  The password function read in a character
	at a time and compared it to the system password.  If the given
	character didn't match, the password function would jump to another
 	place in the program causing a page fault, then continue reading the
	rest of the password.  One can obviously see how the method
	works.  Type in a character, see if there is a page fault.
	If so, start again with new character else look for next
	character in password.  The fix to the problem is also obvious,
	that is read the whole password before testing to see if it
	matches the system password.

	case 2. (Source the University I use to attend) Reduced
	search space algorithm.

	At the university I use to attend, they use to issue the
	initial passwords to the user's birthday.  Well, this made a
	brute force attempt at decoding passwords feasible, I need
	not say more.  The fix here was to initialize the passwords
	to some 7 digit random number.

	case 3. (Source the University I use to attend and a high
	school near where I lived - 2 different systems)

	I don't know what the actual bug in each system was, but
	I do know of the results.  Someone, had access to the grade
	accounts and for a small fee, would change that D or F to
	a B or A.  As I understand this may have been going on
	for years.  At the high school the person that committed
	the act was caught and was only expelled for a year.
	At the university, as far as I know no-one was caught for
	grade changing.  The person that pointed out the problem,
	by actually committing the act for the administration to
	see, caught an unreasonable amount a flack and may have
	had charges brought against him/her.
--
					Eddie Wyatt

e-mail: edw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu

terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, cipher, secret, decode, NSA, CIA, NRO.

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (06/22/87)

In article <532@houxa.UUCP> mel1@houxa.UUCP (M.HAAS) writes:
<to exist.  Why?  Who makes these decisions?  Why?

The people who design computer systems make some of them, the people
who run them make others.

<Why?  Call back and random password techniques are readily
<available, but aren't used.  Why?

Sorry, but call back and random password technology *are* used. Just
not widely. Why? Because they tend to cost more, and are make getting
to a system harder for the legitimate users as well as crackers (*not*
hackers - hackers you put on your payroll and let them make your
system a nicer place to be).

<Why?  Our computer systems can be designed to be reliable and fault
<tolerant, but still require "superuser" gurus to administer them.

Reliable and fault tolerant? Hmmm. The few I know of that actually are
cost lots of extra $$$s.

As for needing gurus, simple systems (a Macintosh, say) don't require
gurus to administer them. But a box that supports 20+ users is
noticably more complicated than a Macintosh, so you expect it to be
more complicated to run.

<I think the damage is being done by the people who bury their heads
<in the sand and foist these security horrors onto the public, not
<the college kid hackers.

Oh, horse pucky. You can buy secure systems if you want to. But they
cost (and cost, and cost). The public (since individuals very seldom
buy multi-user boxes, "the public" is actually closer to "corporate
america") chooses to spend fewer dollars for less security.

<Make it so that nothing gets onto any storage hardware in clear text.

How much extra will this cost? And what do you do about moving things
to other sites with different hardware and character sets?

<Don't allow anyone to get access to the system without their handy-dandy
<vest pocket gadget.

How much more does this cost than a simple lock? How about the extra
inconvenience of having to carry a passcard and a key?

<Don't put anything over any line or cable in clear text.

How much does it cost? What do you do for dialin lines?

<Don't let anybody, ever, get into the system with "privileged" access.

So how do you do maintenance things that require privileges, like
reading all the files to back them up to tape? Privileged programs? So
who gets the privs needed to create those? The vendor supplies them
all (snicker)?

<Then, do as Woz suggests, and pay the
<brightest and best to find holes in the defenses.  And pay rewards
<for being a hacker and learning the next generation of techniques to
<cause problems.  ----  Then DO SOMETHING about the problems, don't let
<another 12 years or so go by with heads buryed.

All of which costs money. This cost gets passed back to your
customers. Pretty soon, most of your customers have gone to a less
secure and less costly system.

You forgot some important things, though. Make sure that *no* lines
carrying data go outside the machine/terminal rooms. Make sure both
rooms are EMF tight, including filtering on the power line. Of course,
that all costs mone too.

Face it: what people are willing to spend on security is less than the
percieved costs of having a system broken into. For most people,
that's significantly less than what real security costs, so they
settle for a placebo.

	"The only secure computer is one that's turned off."
	<mike
--
How many times do you have to fall			Mike Meyer
While people stand there gawking?			mwm@berkeley.edu

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) (06/22/87)

In article <532@houxa.UUCP> mel1@houxa.UUCP (M.HAAS) writes:
>I think the damage is being done by the people who bury their heads
>in the sand and foist these security horrors onto the public, not
>the college kid hackers.

And, in the same vein:

- Don't blame the burglar, blame the guy with inadequate alarms.
- Don't blame the murderer, blame the guy who goes out without
  suitable body armor.
- Don't blame the rapist, blame the woman who's "asking for it"...

>Make it so that nothing gets onto any storage hardware in clear text.
>Don't allow anyone to get access to the system without their handy-dandy
>vest pocket gadget.  Don't put anything over any line or cable in
>clear text.  Don't let anybody, ever, get into the system with
>"privileged" access.

Don't walk down the street at night.
Don't answer your door.
Don't answer your phone.
Lock up your daughters...

>----  Then, do as Woz suggests, and pay the
>brightest and best to find holes in the defenses.  And pay rewards
>for being a hacker and learning the next generation of techniques to
>cause problems.  ----  Then DO SOMETHING about the problems, don't let
>another 12 years or so go by with heads buryed.

Why do people seem to think that the advent of computers has liberated
them from moral education?  Electronic crime is still crime.  Would you
papplaud your local police picking up street gang members, and, instead of
punishing them, paying them to teach how to perform assaults?  I agree
that it is important to beef up security... but this "aren't hackers
cute?" mentality is the MAJOR threat.  Someone who destroys a financial
record should be jailed for robbery.  It's THAT simple.  I don't care
if your tool is a jimmy or a keyboard.  Scum is scum, no matter how
high-tech the pond it's floating atop.
--
 ///==\\   (No disclaimer - nobody's listening anyway.)
///        Roger B.A. Klorese, CELERITY (Northeast Area)

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) (06/22/87)

In article <2318@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>(It's up to us, who develop tomorrow's technology, to fix what they find.
>You can't claim somebody is ripping you off if you leave your door wide open.)

You certainly can.  You can't accuse them of illegal entry (and if you post
a warning about illegal entry at login, you CAN accuse them of it if they
stay), but if they steal or destroy anything, they are thieves and vandals,
even if the door was open.
--
 ///==\\   (No disclaimer - nobody's listening anyway.)
///        Roger B.A. Klorese, CELERITY (Northeast Area)
\\\        40 Speen St., Framingham, MA 01701  +1 617 872-1552
 \\\==//   celtics!roger@seismo.CSS.GOV - seismo!celtics!roger

roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) (06/22/87)

In article <2318@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>They didn't go yelling about blue boxes or buying congressmen to make
>'hurting the phone company' a criminal offense, they fixed the problem.

No, they haven't.  The problem is not that people CAN steal phone service,
but that they DO.  'Hurting' ANYONE already IS a criminal offense.  It's
just that information-age dreamers seem to feel that, if it's magnetic,
it belongs to the world, and the burden of security is on the owner.  Well,
the burden of morality is on each of us.  Teach these kids morals, teach
them the rights of property and privacy... then turn them loose.  If they
find that they can get somewhere they shouldn't, teach them that their first
and only obligation is to report the holes.  Then reward the ones who do,
not because they're caught but because they know it's the right thing to do.

--

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (06/23/87)

In article <497@cblpe.ATT.COM> apc@cblpe.ATT.COM (55212-Alan Curtis) writes:
>In article <2318@hoptoad.uucp> gnu@hoptoad.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>>You can't claim somebody
>>is ripping you off if you leave your door wide open.
>>

>Why the 'ell not!  It is my stuff inside my house, you know it,
>and I know it.  Just cause I leave my door wide open, is NOT
>a statment of lack of ownership.
>
>Jeez, what is today's society comming to if it can only be considered
>theft if you break through six locks, three alarm systems, kill
>four guard dogs, etc.
>
>Mine is mine, not yours!!!
>
>(I am upset, obviously!)
>--

In this case the analogy (metaphor) used is a very poor one.

Walking into someone's house and taking something is theft. It is a
crimininal act. This is because most civilized states pass law's making it so.

Unfortunately "breaking" into a computer system is not covered by these same
laws. Until specific laws are passed making it illegal and criminal it
simply isn't. (Fortunately this is SLOWLY happening!)

Until such time as there are straight forward criminal statutes covering
illegal access to computer services you will only have recourse via a civil
suit against the parties involved.

Some of the differences of civil vs. criminal proceedings do have to do with
how well you have protected yourself. If you don't take reasonable
precautions to prevent people from damaging your property you cannot expect
the courts to do so. As technology improves the amount of protection you
must undertake also increases, simply because it is more reasonable to do
so.

An extreme but related example of this type of suit is the current practice
of the courts to lower awards to accident victims who did not wear their
seat belts (at least in Canada). If the plaintiff was awarded (for example)
$1 million, this will be reduced (for example) by 33% if the court feels
that this is the amount of additional damages that were received due to not
wearing the seat belt.

The bottom line is that you cannot equate (as many people do) the civil and
criminal justice systems. Different principles apply, different precendants
and procedures. For the most part criminal proceedings are largely based on
statute law, civil suits are judged on case or precendant law. And until
something is covered by criminal law your only recourse will be the civil
courts. And they simply operate under different assumptions. Just because
you want it to be against the law doesnt' make it so. And just because it
isn't against the law doesn't mean you can't sue them if the damage your
property.

Aside: The level of proof is often lower in civil suits. While in criminal
actions the must be no uncertainty (because of the harsh remedies), civil
law often only requires preponderance of the evidence. So it may actually be
easier to get a favourable ruling in a civil court where you wouldn't in a
criminal action.

--
Stuart Lynne	ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision!van-bc!sl     Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

gls@odyssey.UUCP (06/23/87)

In article <345@genesis.UUCP>, andys@genesis.UUCP (a.b.sherman) writes:

> Screw Wozniak and send the bastards to jail.

That's too lenient.  Instead, we'll make them all SYSTEM ADMINISTRATORS!

	"Hey, Rocky!  Watch me pull a UNIX program out of my
	   source directory!"
	"AGAIN?"
	"Nothin' up my sleeve ... PRESTO!"

		IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
		PROGRAM-ID.  PROCESS-DATA.
		AUTHOR-NAME.  B. J. MOOSE, FROSTBYTE DATA SYS.
		SOURCE-COMPUTER.  IBM-7044.
		OBJECT-COMPUTER.  IBM-7044.
		. . .

	"No doubt about it--I gotta get a new source directory!"
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...!ihnp4!odyssey!gls

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (06/23/87)

In article <2757@mtgzz.UUCP> gcm@mtgzz.UUCP (g.c.mccoury) writes:
<
<   Wonder why we have so many security problems at our comp centers -
< read on.

You have so many security problems because you have idiots running
your comp centers.
--
Tim Smith, Knowledgian		{sdcrdcf,seismo}!ism780c!tim

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (06/23/87)

In article <497@cblpe.ATT.COM> apc@cblpe.ATT.COM (55212-Alan Curtis) writes:
< Why the 'ell not!  It is my stuff inside my house, you know it,
< and I know it.  Just cause I leave my door wide open, is NOT
< a statment of lack of ownership.

No, but it is a statement of lack of intelligence.  If I have a computer
with important stuff on it, and if I have a security problem, I would
rather find out about it by having someone break in for fun and tell me
about it rather than by having someone who wants to do damage break in
and destroy things.
--

In article <183@dana.UUCP> worley@dana.UUCP (John Worley) writes:
<
<     ARGH!!  This is equivalent to suggesting personal armor is the solution
< to violent crime!!  Are victims of muggings, rape, murder, etc., at fault
< because they "bury their heads in the sand" and expect reasonable behavior
< from their fellow humans?!

If you walk through a neighborhood that is known to have a high crime rate,
holding a few thousand-dollar bills visable in your hands, alone, and
you get robbed, I am not going to have much sympathy for you.

There are unreasonable people in the world.  Expecting reasonable behavior
from everyone is ignoring reality, which is rarely a good idea.
--
Tim Smith, Knowledgian		{sdcrdcf,seismo}!ism78 +y on

barmar@think.uucp (Barry Margolin) (06/24/87)

In article <1594@celtics.UUCP> roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>  Would you
>papplaud your local police picking up street gang members, and, instead of
>punishing them, paying them to teach how to perform assaults?

Often the "punishment" for some crimes is community service.  These
gang menbers might be good candidates for teaching self-defense at the
Y.

								I agree
>that it is important to beef up security... but this "aren't hackers
>cute?" mentality is the MAJOR threat.  Someone who destroys a financial
>record should be jailed for robbery.  It's THAT simple.  I don't care
>if your tool is a jimmy or a keyboard.  Scum is scum, no matter how
>high-tech the pond it's floating atop.

I don't think anyone who destroys financial records will be awarded
one of Woz's scholarship.  The candidates will more likely be the ones
who bring an administrator over to their terminal and say, "All I have
to do is type '...' and your financial records would be ruined;
however, if you had done X I wouldn't be able to do it."

What this discussion needs is another good analogy.  Many techniques
can be used for good and evil.  Locksmithing is an important
profession; isn't Woz's scholarship similar to a locksmith school
giving scholarships to people who have demonstrated talent in picking
locks?  I'm sure most locksmiths and many stage magicians started out
by picking locks.

Yes, there are problems if people with these talents have moral
problems.  I think it was once said that we were lucky that Houdini
never turned to crime, because no handcuffs or prison could hold him.
But if you were looking for someone to put on a show, there was none
finer.

Another analogy: the technology that is used to build nuclear reactors
is the same as that for atomic bombs.  Should the study of nuclear
physics be disallowed because it might be used to destroy the world?

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (06/24/87)

In article <6677@ism780c.UUCP>, tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) writes:
> In article <497@cblpe.ATT.COM> apc@cblpe.ATT.COM (55212-Alan Curtis) writes:
> < Why the 'ell not!  It is my stuff inside my house, you know it,
> < and I know it.  Just cause I leave my door wide open, is NOT
> < a statment of lack of ownership.
> No, but it is a statement of lack of intelligence.  If I have a computer
> with important stuff on it, and if I have a security problem, I would
> rather find out about it by having someone break in for fun and tell me
> about it rather than by having someone who wants to do damage break in
> and destroy things.
> Tim Smith, Knowledgian		{sdcrdcf,seismo}!ism780c!tim

I don't see how this is relevant the hacker scholarships.  A hacker is
one who explores the universe and fixes bugs.  By that very definition
the creeps that go around and destroy systems are no different than
vandels or other common thieves.  Let's get the definiton of 'hacker'
correct.

... This signature was put in in a way to bypass the
... bogus artificial line limit on the .signature file.
... Also, by its length it adds fodder to help avoid having
... my followups being bounced due to the restriction on
... followup articles.

Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***
bitnet(prefered) ken@orion.bitnet

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (06/24/87)

In article <1594@celtics.UUCP>, roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>.. but this "aren't hackers
> cute?" mentality is the MAJOR threat.  Someone who destroys a financial
> record should be jailed for robbery.

But by definition these people aren't hackers, they are just scum.
The true definition of a hacker is one who explores and *FIXES* problems.

... This signature was put in in a way to bypass the
... bogus artificial line limit on the .signature file.
... Also, by its length it adds fodder to help avoid having
... my followups being bounced due to the restriction on
... followup articles.

Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***
bitnet(prefered) ken@orion.bitnet

dlo@drutx.ATT.COM (OlsonDL) (06/24/87)

[]

In article <871@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
> Walking into someone's house and taking something is theft. It is a
> crimininal act. This is because most civilized states pass law's making it so.

> Unfortunately "breaking" into a computer system is not covered by these same
> laws. Until specific laws are passed making it illegal and criminal it
> simply isn't. (Fortunately this is SLOWLY happening!)

Are you sure about that?  My understanding is that it is definately
illegal.  I don't know the details, but I heard that recently someone
was caught breaking into SPRINT and got his butt carted off to jail.

David Olson
..!ihnp4!drutx!dlo

"Eliminate the impossible, my dear doctor, and whatever remains, however
improbable, must be the truth."  -- Sherlock Holmes

atsg@ssc-vax.UUCP (Dennis P. McClure) (06/24/87)

That was worth about 2 cents (or less).

rha@bunker.UUCP (The Minister of Myrth) (06/24/87)

In article <871@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:

>Walking into someone's house and taking something is theft. It is a
>crimininal act. This is because most civilized states pass law's making it so.

>Unfortunately "breaking" into a computer system is not covered by these same
>laws. Until specific laws are passed making it illegal and criminal it
>simply isn't. (Fortunately this is SLOWLY happening!)

>Some of the differences of civil vs. criminal proceedings do have to do with
>how well you have protected yourself. If you don't take reasonable
>precautions to prevent people from damaging your property you cannot expect
>the courts to do so. As technology improves the amount of protection you
>must undertake also increases, simply because it is more reasonable to do
>so.

     If I admit someone into my home and this person walks into my bedroom
while I'm in the bathroom and steals my wife's necklace from her jewelry box,
this person is guilty of larceny.  If my office has no reception area but
someone walks in and takes some files out of my file cabinet without my
consent, that person is guilty of larceny.

     Electronically stored information should be no different from any other
tangible good.  If a computer system has even basic security features and
this security is violated by someone who is not authorized, then this person
should be guilty of either larceny or breaking and entering, whichever is
more applicable to the particular circumstance.

     I defend the Freedom of Information Act with all that I have.  However,
there are normal, accepted channels for acquiring this information.  These
channels DO NOT include hacking.

     ...just one man's opinion.

--
                       {yale!,decvax!,philabs!}bunker!rha
                            Bob "Such a Deal" Averack

mel1@houxa.UUCP (M.HAAS) (06/25/87)

In article <2240@bunker.UUCP>, rha@bunker.UUCP (The Minister of Myrth) writes:
>      Electronically stored information should be no different from any other
> tangible good.  If a computer system has even basic security features and
> this security is violated by someone who is not authorized, then this person
> should be guilty of either larceny or breaking and entering, whichever is
> more applicable to the particular circumstance.

Here is the statement I agree with.  But, note the operative phrase,
"If a computer system has even basic security features".

The punk who steals your car is a criminal and should be punished.  But,
how about the car maker that sold you the car but didn't supply adequate
locks?  or worse, put in fake locks that looked OK but aren't effective
in keeping the door closed or the ignition inoperative or the steering
locked?

Closer to the point, how about the bank that stores your valuables in
what looks like a vault, but is actually made of plaster?

   Mel Haas  ,  attmail!mel

apc@cblpe.ATT.COM (Alan Curtis) (06/25/87)

In article <4332@drutx.ATT.COM> dlo@drutx.ATT.COM (OlsonDL) writes:
>In article <871@van-bc.UUCP>, sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>> Unfortunately "breaking" into a computer system is not covered by these same
>> laws. Until specific laws are passed making it illegal and criminal it
>> simply isn't. (Fortunately this is SLOWLY happening!)
>
>Are you sure about that?  My understanding is that it is definately
>illegal.  I don't know the details, but I heard that recently someone
>was caught breaking into SPRINT and got his butt carted off to jail.

This morning, I was greeted with the following message, from /etc/motd:
(message of the day, for non unix machines/people)
Oh, it has been the motd for about two months, not just today, not
since the dawn of time (You know, back in 1970 :-))

Would we lie?
--
"Are you sure you won't change your mind?"           | Alan P. Curtis
"Is there something wrong with the one I have?"      | AT&T,BTL,CB
-----------------------------------------------------| apc@cblpe.ATT.COM
Kudos to stargate for redistribution rights          | !cbosgd!cblpe!apc

gertler@mtuxo.UUCP (D.GERTLER) (06/25/87)

In article <915@argus.UUCP>, ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
> But by definition these people aren't hackers, they are just scum.

Which definition of "scum" are you talking about?

daveb@rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (06/25/87)

In article <2240@bunker.UUCP> rha@bunker.UUCP (The Minister of Myrth) writes:
>In article <871@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>
>>Walking into someone's house and taking something is theft....
>>This is because most civilized states pass law's making it so...
>
>     If I admit someone into my home and this person walks into my bedroom
>while I'm in the bathroom and steals my wife's necklace from her jewelry box,
>this person is guilty of larceny.  If my office has no reception area but
>someone walks in and takes some files out of my file cabinet without my
>consent, that person is guilty of larceny.
>
>     Electronically stored information should be no different from any other
>tangible good.  If a computer system has even basic security features and
>this security is violated by someone who is not authorized, then this person
>should be guilty of either larceny or breaking and entering, whichever is
>more applicable to the particular circumstance.

Ah, we're talking hypotheticals and analogies.

I have a house and garden next to a city park.  There is no fence
between them, and no 'no trespassing' signs.

* Some people walk in to my garden. Can they be convicted of trespassing?
  (Not likely)  Can I collect civil damages for 'invasion of my space'?
  (I doubt it.).

* Someone reads my tax return that I have left on the picnic table.
  Can they be convicted of any crime?  (I can't think of one).  Can I
  collect any civil damages?  (I can't see why).

* Someone reads a document showing how my company is going to go chapter 7
  next week.  This person shorts a bunch of stock.  Can he be convicted of
  anything?  (Don't know?)  Can I?  (Maybe I'm in trouble with the SEC for
  not adequately protecting sensitive information).

* They cut some roses from my bush.  Can they be convicted for theft?
  (Possibly).  Can I collect civil damages?  (Maybe).

* They smash my Mickey Mouse statue.  Can they be be convicted of
  vandalism, or whatever?  (Probably).  Can collect civil damages?
  (Probably).

* They take my barbecue pit.  Can they be convicted of theft?  (Probably).
  Can I collect civil damages if it is not recovered?  (Possibly).

It seems to make a lot of difference how 'secure' my back yard is from
someone doing reasonable and legal activities.  If the trespassers do only
innocuous actions, it will be difficult for me to collect any civil damages,
since I haven't really been hurt.

Trespassing may or may not be criminal depending on the law and how well
I have held my part of the bargain to deter people from entering.  If
there is no sign and no fence, I may be out of luck.

With the more serious criminal charges, the individuals are probably
culpable because their activity is illegal, period.

As a reasonable man, I cannot expect the law to protect my rights and
property before I suffer harm.  I may hope that the existance of law is
going to deter illegal actions against me, but I cannot assume this will
work.  I can hope that the perpetrators are prosecuted to "the full
extent of the law."

If I want people out of my garden, and don't want my precious Mickey to
be at risk of random vandalism, I had better put up an fence adequate to
the neighborhood. This isn't a question of legality, but of prudence.

The analogies to computer security are clear.  If electronic
tresspassing is illegal (as I think may be the case), I had better put
up whatever 'fences' the law requires for me to fall under it's
protection.  I cannot expect this law to protect my system from illegal
access.

If I want to protect my data from destruction or dissemination, I should
plug whatever holes places them in jeapordy.  I am responsible for it
because it is my data.

I see Jobs' "scholarship" as inviting people to locate potential
problems, in a way that will not greatly endanger the real security of
the the systems in question.  This does not seem cause for
villification.

-dB

--
{amdahl, cbosgd, mtxinu, ptsfa, sun}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.uucp

rjd@tiger.UUCP (06/25/87)

> Written by roger@celtics.UUCP:
> And, in the same vein:
>
> - Don't blame the burglar, blame the guy with inadequate alarms.
> - Don't blame the murderer, blame the guy who goes out without
>   suitable body armor.
> - Don't blame the rapist, blame the woman who's "asking for it"...
>
> Don't walk down the street at night.
> Don't answer your door.
> Don't answer your phone.
> Lock up your daughters...
>
> Why do people seem to think that the advent of computers has liberated
> them from moral education?  Electronic crime is still crime.  Would you
> papplaud your local police picking up street gang members, and, instead of
> punishing them, paying them to teach how to perform assaults?  I agree
> that it is important to beef up security... but this "aren't hackers
> cute?" mentality is the MAJOR threat.  Someone who destroys a financial
> record should be jailed for robbery.  It's THAT simple.  I don't care
> if your tool is a jimmy or a keyboard.  Scum is scum, no matter how
> high-tech the pond it's floating atop.

   This is getting pretty stupid.  There are only a finite number of security
holes.  If the people trained to find them help close them, it is doing
everybody good.  I have found a few and have told the affected administrators
about them.  If they exploit them, there ARE laws (albeit hard to enforce and
prove).  Equating this to rape and murder is stupid.  Equating this to leaving
an EXPENSIVE package in an UNLOCKED car (with the windows down and a flashing
light on top and sign reading STEAL ME) in a parking lot is closer - great
value at almost no risk with normally only monetary hurt.  Come on people, wake
up to the real world.  Ignoring them and acting as if law enforcment will
eradicate computer security holes is pretty ridiculous.  A formal course in
security training will more than likely develop a defense against those
informally trained, even if a percentage of those formally trained use their
knowledge illegally.

Randy Davis

gcm@mtgzz.UUCP (g.c.mccoury) (06/26/87)

In article <6674@ism780c.UUCP>, tim@ism780c.UUCP writes:
> In article <2757@mtgzz.UUCP> gcm@mtgzz.UUCP (g.c.mccoury) writes:
> <
> <   Wonder why we have so many security problems at our comp centers -
> < read on.
>
> You have so many security problems because you have idiots running
> your comp centers.
> --
> Tim Smith, Knowledgian		{sdcrdcf,seismo}!ism780c!tim

	I was speaking about comp centers in general - I should have
made that clear in the initial article(Hacker Scholarship) I posted.
By the way, on what information do you base your accusations about
the lack of competence of our comp centers employees??

*									   *
*      e N			Grover McCoury				   *
*    B     o			ATT Laboratories(?) [was ISL]		   *
*   y       r m a l  ??		...!ihnp4!mtgzz!gcm			   *
*   h									   *
*     W				I refuse to have a battle of wits	   *
*				  with an unarmed person...		   *
*									   *
****************************************************************************/

michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) (06/27/87)

Well, from personal experience, I learned a lot by screwing around. Sometimes
on my system, sometimes on other people system (the security holes were truck
sized). Damage anything? Never. Steal unused cycles? A few.

Belive me, if the people are not ?ssholes, then it does work.
--
: Michael Gersten		seismo!scgvaxd!stb!michael
: Monsters from outta space -- 3-11-2

mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) (06/28/87)

Randy Davis writes:

>   This is getting pretty stupid.  There are only a finite number of security
>holes.  If the people trained to find them help close them, it is doing
>everybody good.  I have found a few and have told the affected administrators
>about them.  If they exploit them, there ARE laws (albeit hard to enforce and
>prove).  Equating this to rape and murder is stupid.  Equating this to
>leaving an EXPENSIVE package in an UNLOCKED car (with the windows down and a
>flashing light on top and sign reading STEAL ME) in a parking lot is closer -
>great value at almost no risk with normally only monetary hurt.  Come on
>people, wake up to the real world.  Ignoring them and acting as if law
>enforcment will eradicate computer security holes is pretty ridiculous.

There are two errors here.

There first is that there is ALWAYS a security hole.  For starters, there is
the front door of the system.  Security systems are not like full body
armor; they are more like shields, and there is always someone clever enough
to figure out either how to go around or how to exploit the necessary holes
in the system.

From this point of view, ALL systems have a "flashing light on top".
Security holes don't create break-ins; people create break-ins.  The
attitude that "someone is asking for it" is one of the things that help
raise the crime rate.

C. Wingate

webber@brandx.rutgers.edu (Webber) (06/28/87)

In article <7232@mimsy.UUCP>, mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:
> Randy Davis writes:
>
> >  This is getting pretty stupid.  There are only a finite number of security
> >holes.  ....

How on earth do you count the number of security holes?  If I fix them
all in one login does that mean there was only one?  Most systems just
have one logical error, i.e., some one thought they were ready to ship.

> >..., wake up to the real world.  Ignoring them and acting as if law
> >enforcment will eradicate computer security holes is pretty ridiculous.
>
> There are two errors here.
>
> There first is that there is ALWAYS a security hole.  For starters, there is
> the front door of the system.  Security systems are not like full body
> armor; they are more like shields, and there is always someone clever enough
> to figure out either how to go around or how to exploit the necessary holes
> in the system. ...

Sigh.  Physical security is not what is at issue here.  Surely none of
the `Hacker Scholarships' are given for mounting an armed attack on a
computer installation.

The lack of computer security greatly reduces the utility of
computers.   Due to its lack, no sensible person can keep important
records on the computer or use the computer (and related communication
technology) for the transfer of important information (the fact that
foolish people have greatly over-exposed the economic institutions of
some countries, such as the U.S.A., is reason to fire the fools and pull
out of the mistake rather than a reason to seek a legislative solution
to a technical nightmare).

Even when no one is trying to corrupt the data on a system, the lack
of security features also makes even isolated standalone systems
difficult to use.  Every time a bug in a piece of code written by an
unprivilaged user crashes a system, you are seeing a security loophole
that is causing a problem even though there is no issue of `criminal
intent' involved.  On a large timesharing system, such `bugs' can be a
real pain to track down :-)

------ BOB (webber@aramis.rutgers.edu ; rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!webber)

  How many people use dr-xr-xr-x to make sure they don't accidently
  delete the files themselves?

  How many security holes were found by people that were not looking
  for security holes but were just trying to get their work&U'&U'&

peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter DaSilva) (06/28/87)

In article <532@houxa.UUCP>, mel1@houxa.UUCP (M.HAAS) writes:
> I agree with much of what Andy says, but feel that his anger should
> mostly be directed to the people who consciously allow the hackers
> to do so much damage.  Woz's work was done several generations of
> system software and hardware ago.  The holes were well know then
> and still allowed to exist.  They exist now and are still allowed
> to exist.  Why?  Who makes these decisions?  Why?

The "holes" still exist because the solutions to them usually cause more
problems than the holes themselves do. These solutions all serve to further
distance the user from the computer, and make the computer less of a
useful tool. If Wozniak was really thinking about the situation rather
than mouthing sixties platitudes, then he would realise that if people
took him seriously the situation would worsen.

The United States is a society based on free (that is, unregulated) transfer
of goods and services. Anything that serves to interrupt that hurts the
country. And... you can find and fix loopholes without becoming a cracker.
While I was at Berkeley I discovered a couple of holes in the EECS machine.
Both were minor and temporary, but rather than screwing things up and
encouraging paranoid measures, I plugged them and left mail to someone
responsible.

> The DES algorithm is now quite old, but still not used in computer
> hardware.  Why?

The DES algorithm is used in computer hardware where security is important.
The UNIX password encryption technique is a deliberately mutated version
of the DES algorithm... mutated so that DES chips can't be used in an
exhaustive search of likely name spaces.

> Call back and random password techniques are readily available, but aren't
> used.  Why?

Because they're a pain. People do not like to remember random passwords, and
are more likely to write them down somewhere... which would actually reduce
security. Callback is used where necessary, but most of the time users of
a machine need to be able to call from multiple and unpredictable places.
For example... reporters phoning in a story from a hotel room.

> Data communication protocols are well into the standards making procedure,
> but don't include encryption capabilities.  Why?

Because it's neither a necessary nor sufficient technique. It's not necessary
because you can always encrpt your data at a higher level, and it's not
sufficient because all systems still have to have the keys. If security is
broken at one site and the key is discovered you will now be completely
open... while still thinking you're secure. On the other hand individual
files and parts of files canm be encrypted using a key that's not even
stored permanently online *anywhere*.

> Our computer systems can be designed to be reliable and fault tolerant, but
> still require "superuser" gurus to administer them.  Why?

Because the set of things that can go wrong is larger than the set of things
that can be predicted to go wrong, and because a human is still cheaper than
a 500 megabyte AI system.

> I think the damage is being done by the people who bury their heads
> in the sand and foist these security horrors onto the public, not
> the college kid hackers.

While you didn't mean that the way I would, I'd have to agree with you. The
damage is being done by the people who want to foist excessive security
measures onto the public.

> Make it so that nothing gets onto any storage hardware in clear text.
> Don't allow anyone to get access to the system without their handy-dandy
> vest pocket gadget.  Don't put anything over any line or cable in
> clear text.  Don't let anybody, ever, get into the system with
> "privileged" access.

There are systems that do this. They tend to be slow, cumbersome to use, and
at Government sites.

> ----  Then, do as Woz suggests, and pay the brightest and best to find holes
> in the defenses.

This is also done. Have you ever heard of the Navy's "Tiger Teams"?

> And pay rewards for being a hacker and learning the next generation of
> techniques to cause problems.

Pay rewards for reporting problems, not for taking advantage of them... and
don't pay so much that you divert too many resources into security. A
computer is primarily a tool, not a place to play "wheel wars".

> ----  Then DO SOMETHING about the problems, don't let another 12 years or
> so go by with heads buryed.

That's "buried". Before you do something about the problem, make sure it's
costing you more than the solution. Shoplifting could be solved by doing strip-
searches of all customers before they leave the store, but it would probably
not turn out to be a wise investment.

--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)
--

robertl@killer.UUCP (Robert Lord) (06/28/87)

Look..There has ben alot of talk floating around about hackers and such
beeing 'scum' and other derogatory types of life.  90% of hackers are just
computer buffs who have no other way of getting computer time.  They have
there Apple //e's with thier modems, and they want to expand and learn more.
How do you expect them to do this?  Go to there scholl where they can teach
the teacher, and have the same computers as thsi little hacker does at home?
Naturally, the hacker goes looking for bigger and better systems to play
with, and along the line learns about security flaws to get accses.  Also,
occasionally, he will make a mistake and wipe out some data..I agree this
is unexcusible, but there should have been more security on the system.  I
speak from experiance when I say that there are less that 1,000 real 'hackers'
out there, that only hack to learn, and know how to take down a system but
never do.  The rest of the so called hackers are just rodents who think there
cool by hacking, and at the first chance they have will nuke a system.  There
are bulletin boards all over the country catering to these people, and there
is a close nit community for the real hackers.  I should know, I've been there.
I was once in the not too distant past a 'real hacker'.  How do you think
I learned all that I know? (well, you don't know how much I know...oh well).
My speciallty was unix systems, ans I can tell you right now a few easy steps
to make your system less vunerable.

  1) PUT PASSWORDS on you system!!!! Noone does this, and it makes it easy.
     I have gotten into systems that were connected up to a modem, and
     no password on the root account!

  2) Protect your uucp network.  Most system administrators think the uucp
     account is not important, so they don't protect it.  Well, I have news
     for you, it is very important if you belong to a network.  Once I
     broke into one system, that lead to a whole slew of unix computers
     around the country.  A friend of mine and I broke into every one of them!

  3) Protect your information!  Many systems have mail that is readable
     by everyone.  Most of the audit files (such as the modem logs) are
     writeable by everyone, so if I used the 'cu' command to call a few
     other comuters I could just edit the audit files...Not smart!

These are a few of the major points of security, and they run rampent on
almost all systems around the world.  Your first line of defense are the
passwords.  Make sure every one on your system has a password, otherwise
it is fairly simple to get accses to the system.  If the hacker only
has one account, all he has to do is to look at the /etc/passwd file and
get at least 3-4 more accounts without a pass.  Also, make sure you
backup your system reguarly (like a full backup once a week...archive it
every day).  This will prevent major damage in case a rodent decidedes to
try and take out your system.
    If you are setting up a new system, then give one of your friendly
unix gurus a call, and he will be happy to help you with the security of your
system.
    In summary....Really, the real hackers are nice people (take me for an
example).  They don't try to hurt systems, but infact are just trying to
learn everything they can about something they love - Computers.

              Robert Lord, Hacker Extrodinare (retired)
                       ihnp4!killer!robertl

P.S. I retired for a few reasons...Namely it got boring.  I decided to go into
     comercial programing...and am dooing pretty well considering I'm still
     in high school.

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (06/29/87)

Hello Charley,

In article <7232@mimsy.UUCP> mangoe@mimsy.UUCP (Charley Wingate) writes:

>From this point of view, ALL systems have a "flashing light on top".
>Security holes don't create break-ins; people create break-ins.  The
>attitude that "someone is asking for it" is one of the things that help
>raise the crime rate.
>
>C. Wingate

	I do fully agree with what you are saying but only _if_ that is
the 'real' attitude that exists - but I think not.  I dispute that is
particularthat on average attitude we see today is an attempt to protect
criminals but rather more of an attempt to examine the possible ignorance
of some people who fail to protect themselves in a society with _known_ crime
rate. Let me see if I can offer a possible perspective on my reasoning in this
matter . I am not trying to direct my comments at anything you have said
in in what follows. I just want to examine some new [?] ideas...

[ enter soapbox mode :) ]

	What of institutions that due to _willful_ ignorance _fail_ to protect
people because of an assumption that law in and of itself will protect their
clients? I see the issue at hand as if a persons bank kept it's money in a shoe
box in the center of a park with no one watching. I would just as much DEMAND
that laws protect people against THAT kind of stupidity as I would crime in
general because crime is _known_ to exist. It is _not_ a matter of protecting
the criminal at all but one of protecting people against criminal stupidity
_and_ criminals.  Consider, what would people think if the USA [ or your
country here] disbanded it's law enforcement and all of it's military in favor
of laws that made crime and international crime illegal :-)? Yes that analogy
isn't that good but it does sort of ask people to consider the division
of responsibilities. -I believe ideas at least roughly like that are
the real points to be addressed. We _know_ we can not expect to have a man
in uniform at every house on the planet unless everyone is a policeman to
some extent. We have to help victims of crime just as much as we need to
educate them how to better protect themselves when the law is unable to
impress the wouldbe criminal to give up his ways... I personally find that
some laws that fail to have institutions also handle some responsibility to
protect it's clients, as in the case of the recent ECPA and radio telephones,
are just about as criminal as the very criminal it considers to be targeted
for - roughly similar in manner as if the USA disbanded it military in
favor of civil laws when considering _known_ factors - and this _is_ silly
in many ways... So, if we _fail_ to have certain institutions take measures
to protect their clients from criminal activities we in a very real way
end up _protecting_ the criminal - as we _know_ we can not expect the present
day law enforcement system to hold our hands _around_the_clock_ but we
_can_ make the job of the legal system _much_ easier to do by bearing
_some_ kind of resonsibility in protecting social interests on our own....

	I feel it is a great public service to inform people how to better
protect themselves from common crime. One can talk about the responsibility
of law enforcement all one wants but if everyone in north America left
their house unlocked I would say that someone isn't pulling their fair
share. Indeed one could look at this as if society itself were placing
a burden it's own law enforcement system and reducing it's very ability
to even keep up with it's real job of attempting to protect people. But
just what is it we are protecting people from ? Crime or their own
ignorance ??? I would only want that those attempting to find weaknesses in
the system were on our side rather then on the criminals...

	Hope this makes some sense,... Comments ???

Best Regards,

# Mike Gore
# Institute for Computer Research. ( watmath!mgvax!root - at home )
# These ideas/concepts do not imply views held by the University of Waterloo.

magore@watdcsu.UUCP (06/29/87)

One last point..

In article <3552@watdcsu.UUCP> I wrote:
[might...]
>	So, if we _fail_ to have certain institutions take measures
>to protect their clients from criminal activities we in a very real way
>end up _protecting_ the criminal - as we _know_ we can not expect the present
>day law enforcement system to hold our hands _around_the_clock_ but we
>_can_ make the job of the legal system _much_ easier to do by bearing
>_some_ kind of resonsibility in protecting social interests on our own....

	Least there be any misunderstanding I was addressing _defensive_
measures that the public can take _not_ measures that would be taking the
law into their own hands [ offensive measures , so to speak ]

jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) (06/29/87)

In article <1594@celtics.UUCP>, roger@celtics.UUCP (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
> Why do people seem to think that the advent of computers has liberated
> them from moral education?  Electronic crime is still crime.  Would you
> papplaud your local police picking up street gang members, and, instead of
> punishing them, paying them to teach how to perform assaults?  I agree
> that it is important to beef up security... but this "aren't hackers
> cute?" mentality is the MAJOR threat.  Someone who destroys a financial
> record should be jailed for robbery.  It's THAT simple.  I don't care
> if your tool is a jimmy or a keyboard.  Scum is scum, no matter how
> high-tech the pond it's floating atop.

I seem to recall that there was an episode of Max Headroom where someone
describes computer/credit fraud as being "worse than murder".

There also was a story written by Isaac Asimov (I think) about someone
in a ultra-computerized society who commited computer fraud.  His punishment
was to be prevented to from using a computer for a year.  He was conditioned
psychologically to vomit every time he ouched a computer device of any type.

I my opinion, a little of all aspects of protection is necessary.  A
combination of stiffer penalties for computer fraud/vandalism/theft, strong
education on the fact that these actions are immoral (or at least illegal --
no flames about "morality" please), and better security procedures.

With regards to maintaining better security procedures, these could include
(but in no means be limited to) the following ideas:

1) Distribution of random letter combination privaledged passwords at random
   intervals through secure communication channels.
2) Forcing users to change their passwords regularly.
3) Callback systems to verify the system is being accessed from a known
   terminal.
4) Implementation of a key card system, in which the user must insert his/her
   card into a slot in the terminal so that it can be read and verified.
   Login name and password would still be required, but this would help
   prevent users from looking over someones shoulder to find out their
   password and get onto the system. (I believe that IBM already implemented
   a system like this as an option on their 3270 series terminals).
5) Use of encryption systems (RSA public key preferably) for communication and
   storage of private data/messages.
6) Keep accurate accounting files tracking all commands/system calls executed.
7) Make sure that all acounts autologout after a relatively short period
   of idle time (perhaps send a warning message after 30 seconds idle time,
   then autologout if still no key hit within 30 seconds).  This would prevent
   the "root forgot to log out and left an open terminal as superuser" problem.

At one system that I know of, new student and faculty user id's are posted in
the computer center.  The initial password is always the person's social
security number.  There are always those users who never change their
passwords, leaving a gaping hole in security.  There are others who never
use their account, leaving it open to anyone who takes the time to figure
out the users social security number (not very difficult at a university
where SS# doubles as school id number).

					Spidey!

--
DON'T PANIC!!!                                          /\ Josh /\   At last! a
                                                       //\\ .. //\\  spider that

rem@remsit.UUCP (Roger Murray) (06/30/87)

In article <1610@stb.UUCP>, michael@stb.UUCP (Michael) writes:
> Well, from personal experience, I learned a lot by screwing around. Sometimes
> on my system, sometimes on other people system (the security holes were truck
> sized). Damage anything? Never. Steal unused cycles? A few.
>
> Belive me, if the people are not ?ssholes, then it does work.

For example, when Michael was running his BBS on his TRS-80 Model I, we would
spend hours thinking of ways of getting into BASIC, modifying the program, etc.
They ranged from the very basic (password hacking, etc) to the very complex
(replacing SYS files, replacing the RS232 driver, sending a stream of ^S's).
But every time we managed to do something, we told him.  Well, there was that
one time..... :-)

Now it's running on a Model 16.  Streams of ^S's don't do it anymore, but wait
till he gets a load of the new /xenix I installed!  :-) :-) :-)

Enter your name (or handle)? BASIC/CMD
Delete this? Y

Ah, those were the days!
--
Roger Murray

UUCP: ...!{ihnp4,randvax,sdcrdcf,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem
ARPA: cepu!ucla-an!remsit!rem@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

worley@dana.UUCP (John Worley) (06/30/87)

daveb@rtech writes:

> Ah, we're talking hypotheticals and analogies.
>
> I have a house and garden next to a city park.  There is no fence
> between them, and no 'no trespassing' signs.

    Your analogy is already faulty.  The "fence" here is the phone number you
must dial to get access to the computer in the first place.  Like a good fence,
it requires a positive action to "cross".  The "lock" or "no trepassing" sign
is played by the login routine, which normally requires the user to identify
himself/herself and supply a secret comfirmation code (password).

    So, by dailing up and logging in, the security breaker has overcome three
explicit and unavoidable barriers.  Further, he/she has misrepresented himself/
herself to the system to gain unauthorized access.

	[ Scenarios of "if they ... can I" deleted ]

> The analogies to computer security are clear.  If electronic
> tresspassing is illegal (as I think may be the case), I had better put
> up whatever 'fences' the law requires for me to fall under it's
> protection.  I cannot expect this law to protect my system from illegal
> access.

    Ref. above - the 'fences' are already there.  The intent of the system
owner is clear, as is the intent of the electronic tresspasser.

> If I want to protect my data from destruction or dissemination, I should
> plug whatever holes places them in jeapordy.  I am responsible for it
> because it is my data.

    For every lock ever built, there is a way to open it w/o the proper key.
It is irrelevant that the lock can be picked, or even that the method to do so
is well known.  By locking your garage, house, car, bike, you have proven your
intent to secure your possesion against unauthorized use; by overcoming the
lock, no matter how simple, the thief has demonstrated his/her intent to
violate your property.

> I see Jobs' "scholarship" as inviting people to locate potential
> problems, in a way that will not greatly endanger the real security of
> the the systems in question.  This does not seem cause for
> villification.

    It's Wozniak, not Jobs.

    I see his scholarship as an attempt to legitimize the criminal activity
of breaking system security.  If a computer house wants to test its security,
it will authorize someone to try.  Abetting, yes even financing, a criminal
action is certainly cause for vilification, especially for someone of Steve
Wozniak's position of community leader - a position now in great doubt in my
mind.

						John Worley
						hplabs!dana!worley

edw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Eddie Wyatt) (06/30/87)

In article <1226@osiris.UUCP>, jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:

> I my opinion, a little of all aspects of protection is necessary.  A
> combination of stiffer penalties for computer fraud/vandalism/theft, strong
> education on the fact that these actions are immoral (or at least illegal --
> no flames about "morality" please), and better security procedures.

     You have to be able to catch them first. Not a simple problem.

> With regards to maintaining better security procedures, these could include
> (but in no means be limited to) the following ideas:
>
> 1) Distribution of random letter combination privaledged passwords at random
>    intervals through secure communication channels.
> 2) Forcing users to change their passwords regularly.
> 3) Callback systems to verify the system is being accessed from a known
>    terminal.
> 4) Implementation of a key card system, in which the user must insert his/her
>    card into a slot in the terminal so that it can be read and verified.
>    Login name and password would still be required, but this would help
>    prevent users from looking over someones shoulder to find out their
>    password and get onto the system. (I believe that IBM already implemented
>    a system like this as an option on their 3270 series terminals).
> 5) Use of encryption systems (RSA public key preferably) for communication and
>    storage of private data/messages.
> 6) Keep accurate accounting files tracking all commands/system calls executed.
> 7) Make sure that all acounts autologout after a relatively short period
>    of idle time (perhaps send a warning message after 30 seconds idle time,
>    then autologout if still no key hit within 30 seconds).  This would prevent
>    the "root forgot to log out and left an open terminal as superuser" problem.
>
> 					Spidey!
>

> --
> DON'T PANIC!!!                                          /\ Josh /\   At last! a
>                                                        //\\ .. //\\  spider that
> A message from Spidey, and the Spidey Team.  ----->>>  //\((  ))/\\  looks like
> Available via UUCP: ...[seismo,mimsy]!jhu!osiris!jdia  /  < `' >  \  a spider!

1)  Not really save.  If someone knows what the procedure is then
    they will be able to use the passwords.

2)  If you force users to  change their passwords regularly then - 1. you'll
    have your users forgetting their passwords regularly, 2. have a less
    friendly system, 3 probably have the user cycle between two different
    passwords.

3)  Is only as safe as the phone lines.  If you have broken Ma'bell, you could
    probably fool this mechanism.

4)  This is only as safe as an extra password.  At some level this will
    get turned into a bit stream.

5) Isn't one of the problems with data encryption for communications, the
   fact that the both systems have to agree on the key?  And hence the key
   must be transmitted.

6) is easy to break, what if someone writes this loop -

	while (1) logged_system_call();

    when the log file is filled (ie. no more disk space) does your system
    come to a grinding halt or do you truncate the log file. Either
    solution is unexpectable.

7) easy to fool, plus makes the system very unfriendly.  You'll find users
   writing little programs like

	while (1) { printf("Hello\n"); sleep(29); }

   Theses are a start though and will help keep the novice from doing damage,
but if someone wants to get onto your system, I'm sure they'll find away
around those security  measures.

--
					Eddie Wyatt

e-mail: edw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu

terrorist, cryptography, DES, drugs, cipher, secret, decode, NSA, CIA, NRO.

kurt@fluke.UUCP (06/30/87)

[ the line eater is a security hole ]

No computer system with dialin lines is secure.  There is, in the final
analysis, no way to prevent an unauthorized user from using a legitimate
key to gain access.  No computer on a network with any insecure computer is
secure.  Access to the network can be obtained from the insecure computer.
No electronic security is any better than the surrounding physical security,
since if one can obtain access to the console, there is often no limit to
the things one can do.  Computer security is like a castle wall and moat.
In the history of castles, those castles with thick stone walls and moats
were never stormed successfully, but were frequently taken by treachery
or patient seige.

There is also a tradeoff between security and convenience.  If every action
requires a password, computer users will spend 99% of their time typing
passwords.  The problem of memorizing all these passwords also leads to
counterproductive shortcuts like using short, duplicate, or easily memorized
passwords for too many things.  Tight, rigid security gets in the way of
legitimate use of the system.  Computer security, like a suit of armor,
cannot be made so heavy it prevents movement.

No security is absolute.  (Most) computer systems are not "wide open".  UNIX,
for instance, has numerous holes through which a break in may take place, but
you still give a name and password to log on.  Computer security is like your
own home.  You have locks on your doors, but windows made of glass.  It is a
trivial matter to break a window and go in, but breaking and entering is still
a crime.  The login/password is like a door lock.  It can only serve as a
reminder that access is restricted.  As functioning members of society, we
are each responsible to respect the rights of others to lock doors they own,
and not try to kick them down just because we can.

Password hacking is an unethical activity that violates property rights,
privacy rights, and often results in monetary damage.  The fact that it is
an activity that does not require an investment in tools, and that can be
practiced without actually damaging anything does not make it ethical.  I am
surprised that a university would endorse such unethical activity, but money
talks, and this is not the first university to become a moral prostitute.

Is there a "need" for password hackers?  Does the knowledge of the size and
shape of security holes lead to better computers?  I would be interested to
hear how.  In what instances in the past has improved electronic security
led to a benefit to society or ended a situation that was detrimental to
society?  The people I know who "need" electronic security have instead
implemented physical security.  Bank computers no longer have dialin lines.
Defense plants build huge Faraday cages around their computer systems.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (06/30/87)

In article <1226@osiris.UUCP> jdia@osiris.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:
>There also was a story written by Isaac Asimov (I think) about someone
>in a ultra-computerized society who commited computer fraud.  His punishment
>was to be prevented to from using a computer for a year.  He was conditioned
>psychologically to vomit every time he ouched a computer device of any type.

Several members of my family feel that way. Could they have been
convicted of computer crime?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)
  {chinet | philabs | sesimo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen

dougs@sequent.UUCP (Doug Schwartz) (07/01/87)

In article <4332@drutx.ATT.COM>, dlo@drutx.ATT.COM (OlsonDL) writes:
> I don't know the details, but I heard that recently someone
> was caught breaking into SPRINT and got his butt carted off to jail.

I believe the charge was "theft of services", analagous to tapping into HBO
and not paying for the service.

Doug Schwartz
Sequent Computer
...!tektronix!ogcvax!sequent!dougs

forys@sigi.Colorado.EDU (Jeff Forys) (07/01/87)

In article <2780@mtgzz.UUCP> gcm@mtgzz.UUCP (g.c.mccoury) writes:
>>In article <2757@mtgzz.UUCP> gcm@mtgzz.UUCP (g.c.mccoury) writes:
>>   Wonder why we have so many security problems at our comp centers -
>
> I was speaking about comp centers in general - I should have
> made that clear in the initial article (Hacker Scholarship) I posted.

I work for the Computer Center at the University of Colorado @ Boulder.
I am also an indirect beneficiary of the Wozniak Scholarship.  I receive
one of these `hacker's to delegate some of my workload to and, in return,
the `hacker' has an excellent opportunity to learn.  In retrospect, I was
lucky enough to get the same breaks when I was younger...

The term `hacker', as used here, is a person who is seriously interested
in learning more about computers as opposed to "just knowing enough to
get by".  Perhaps this is what some people are afraid of, I dont know.
Anyways, to be selected, they must have a `decent' GPA and have some
"special quality" (loosely defined by an *equally* special selection
committee).  In answer to your question, our group is looking forward
to their arrival.  I myself, will probably learn a couple things too,
uh, but dont tell anyone that...  :-)
---
Jeff Forys @ UC/Boulder Engineering Research Comp Cntr (303-492-4991)
forys@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  -or-  ..!{hao|nbires}!boulder!forys

dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/02/87)

I can't help but throw in my $0.02 worth - the impression I get is that
Woz's concept of a hacker is somewhat different from the concept of
a phreak (the official term for a malicious hacker): I consider myself
a hacker because I find interesting ways to do things, and I have
a tendancy to go into systems programming at the driver level. I do _NOT_
attempt to break into other computer systems, or send trojan horses
programs out to local BBS's. However I can't help but wonder if Woz
is working on the basis of "Set a thief to catch a thief"
--
		dg@wrs.UUCP - David Goodenough

					+---+
					| +-+-+
					+-+-+ |
					  +---+

msf@amelia (Michael S. Fischbein) (07/03/87)

One point that no one seems to have brought up yet in this discussion is
the "attractive nuisance" laws.  As I understand them (ie, my nodding
acquaintance with the topic), some items (such as a swimming pool) are
"attractive nuisances" and it is the owner's responsibility to set up
security measures (such as a fence to prevent the local toddlers from
drowning).

Given the current state of US culture (no pro or con arguments, just
let it be there), maintaining a computer system without minimal
security is certainly an attraction, both to the irresponsible
`crackers' and the curious 'hackers'.  Extending this sort of
opportunity might even be contributing to the delinquency of a minor,
or something.

No, people should not have to triple lock their doors, hire armed
guards, etc.  But bank vaults should.  Not all computers need call
back modems, multiple encryption schemes, etc.  But some do.  If you
leave your door open and someone steals your stereo, you were not
quite brilliant for leaving it open, but the thief is just that, a
thief.  If you leave your stereo on the curb and someone picks it up
thinking you are throwing it away, what then?  How about if you leave
it in a public area, unsecured, for several days?

Computer breakins are just a phone call away -- if someone calls your
home phone and you don't want to talk to them, are they stealing your
telephone access?  If so, what sort of penalty should be imposed?  How
does this impact direct telephone marketers?  If someone calls your
computer, that you want to keep secure, and you don't have at least a
non-well-known account/password combination, you have left your data
in a public place (the telephone exchange) without even a sign on it
that says "mine."  There is a big difference between someone tapping a
phone or committing b&e to get a password to enter a nominally secure
system and someone who connects to a modem tone and gets "Welcome to
the Whizzo Co orders database" without being asked for id.  I don't
know of any multi-user computer system capable of remote access that
doesn't offer that level of security for free.  Yes, it requires a
system administrator with an IQ > 50.  Yes, it can be broken in
several ways, depending on the specific system.  But if you park your
car with the window down and the engine running, it may get stolen.
Lock it, it might still be stolen but the chances are less -- and
there is next to no chance that it will be stolen on a lark, by
someone out for a joyride rather than profit.

		mike

(maybe I should have said LaRC? :-))

edw@ius2.cs.cmu.edu (Eddie Wyatt) (07/04/87)

In article <2231@ames.arpa>, msf@amelia (Michael S. Fischbein) writes:

> One point that no one seems to have brought up yet in this discussion is
> the "attractive nuisance" laws.  As I understand them (ie, my nodding
> acquaintance with the topic), some items (such as a swimming pool) are
> "attractive nuisances" and it is the owner's responsibility to set up
> security measures (such as a fence to prevent the local toddlers from
> drowning)

  Attractive nuisance laws where made to protect people from hazardous areas
that are readily accessable to the public.  In the case of a pool, you are
require to put up a fence around it even though it is your own property because
any child could accidently fall into the pool.   Instead you having
the owner of the pool put the blame on the child for trespassing, the
blame is on the owner of the pool for not taking some sort of protective
measure.

  I do not see why attractive nuisance laws extend here since the
aim of the law was not to put the blame on the victum of a crime
because he didn't protect himself, but to have people exercise
more caution in instances where OTHERS MAY BE INDANGERED (in the above
example the pool owner was a victum of trespassing).

   This is not the case with publicly accessable computers.  No one
is physically or mentally at wrisk by there existance!

> Given the current state of US culture (no pro or con arguments, just
> let it be there), maintaining a computer system without minimal
> security is certainly an attraction, both to the irresponsible
> `crackers' and the curious 'hackers'.  Extending this sort of
> opportunity might even be contributing to the delinquency of a minor,
> or something.

  The analogy you are trying to draw generizes to , if you are a victum
of property crime then its not the fault of the criminal, its your  fault,
you were temping him too much.  That is  unless you can show you've excessively
protected yourself.  If not, show me where your attitude differs.

> If you leave your stereo on the curb and someone picks it up
> thinking you are throwing it away, what then?  How about if you leave
> it in a public area, unsecured, for several days?

  He is guilty of theft.  He would be guilty of theft even if he was taking out
of your garbage.  If you find property, you are legally responsible for
reporting it to the police.  If no one claims it after n number of days, they
may give it to you. As simple as that.  Are you advocating - finders keeper,
loosers weepers?

[a lot of bad analogies]

  Lets consider all of us adopt your policies, which I'm intepreting as :
computer owners must take preventive measures to protect access to their
computers, otherwise hackers that invade their system would not be consider
responsible for their actions.

   I have a hacker trash my disk system and he is caught.  What do I have
to do to show that I was not negliable in protecting my system?

ken@rochester.arpa (Ken Yap) (07/05/87)

|	case 1. (Source OS class)  Linear password decomposition algorithm.
|
|	Two very interesting utilities in a certain unknown OS combined to
|	provide a technique of decoding any password in linear time respective
|	of the length of the password.  The utilities were a facility
|	for determining when a page fault occurred in a application
|	program so that the user could finely tune a program preformance
|	and the other happened to be the password untility and the way
|	in which it was coded.  The password function read in a character
|	at a time and compared it to the system password.  If the given
|	character didn't match, the password function would jump to another
| 	place in the program causing a page fault, then continue reading the
|	rest of the password.  One can obviously see how the method
|	works.  Type in a character, see if there is a page fault.
|	If so, start again with new character else look for next
|	character in password.  The fix to the problem is also obvious,
|	that is read the whole password before testing to see if it
|	matches the system password.

This is described in Hints for System Designers by Butler Lampson.

	Ken

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (07/07/87)

In article <2780@mtgzz.UUCP> gcm@mtgzz.UUCP (g.c.mccoury) writes:
< In article <6674@ism780c.UUCP>, tim@ism780c.UUCP writes:
< > In article <2757@mtgzz.UUCP> gcm@mtgzz.UUCP (g.c.mccoury) writes:
< > <   Wonder why we have so many security problems at our comp centers -
< > < read on.
< > You have so many security problems because you have idiots running
< > your comp centers.
< 	I was speaking about comp centers in general - I should have
< made that clear in the initial article(Hacker Scholarship) I posted.
< By the way, on what information do you base your accusations about
< the lack of competence of our comp centers employees??

It was clear that you were talking about comp centers in general.
My answer was about comp centers in general.  Since you used "we"
to refer to comp centers in general, it seemed appropriate to
use "you" to respond.  I wasn't talking about your specific comp
center.
--
Tim Smith, Knowledgian		{sdcrdcf,seismo}!ism780c!tim

batie@agora.UUCP (Alan Batie) (07/08/87)

In article <1063@killer.UUCP> robertl@killer.UUCP (Robert Lord) writes:

>Look..There has ben alot of talk floating around about hackers and such
>beeing 'scum' and other derogatory types of life.  90% of hackers are just
>computer buffs who have no other way of getting computer time.  They have
>there Apple //e's with thier modems, and they want to expand and learn more.
>How do you expect them to do this?  Go to there scholl where they can teach
>the teacher, and have the same computers as thsi little hacker does at home?

This is a bad argument for two reasons:

1.  It's no justification.  I present the time honored analogy of stealing
(actually "joyriding") a car: "I don't have any way of getting there, so
I'll use this here car (gee, they even left the keys in it, but it would
have been easy to hot wire anyhow).  It's the middle of the night, and the
owner isn't using it now; I'll have it back by morning -- he'll never know
I used it.  I'll learn more about driving in the process, and well, if I
wreck it, gee, I'm so sorry."

Most people I know would be upset if someone did this.

2.  It's false.  There are public access Unix systems all over the place
now where one can get free access to do everything you're trying to accomplish
(except cracking the system).  I run one myself (agora, 503-640-4262) --
there's absolutely no need to crack a system to expand your horizons, unless
you're such a twit that no one will give you an account (and I doubt that).
--
Alan Batie
batie@agora

dlm@codas.UUCP (07/09/87)

In article <1063@killer.UUCP>, robertl@killer.UUCP (Robert Lord) writes:

> 90% of hackers are just computer buffs who have no other way of getting
  computer time.

> ....Really, the real hackers are nice people
>
>               Robert Lord, Hacker Extrodinare (retired)

Sure!  And rapists are just nice guys trying to learn something about sex!
This is the stupidest article I've seen.  I suppose that if someone stole
your car, and then told the police that he was just trying to learn how to
drive, you'd think he was a nice guy looking for an education?

dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/10/87)

In article <1135@codas.ATT.COM> dlm@codas.ATT.COM (Don_L_Million) writes:
> Stuff deleted
>
>Sure!  And rapists are just nice guys trying to learn something about sex!
>This is the stupidest article I've seen.  I suppose that if someone stole
>your car, and then told the police that he was just trying to learn how to
>drive, you'd think he was a nice guy looking for an education?

[Getting out my flamethrower :-)]

I think someone here is forgetting the original definition of a hacker
as opposed to a phreak. Using the above analogy, a hacker would be
roughly like Casanova, whereas a PHREAK would be your rapist. In other
words phreak is the term that should be used to describe people that
attempt malicious damage or theft. I use the term hacker to describe
someone like myself who writes a 90% full implementation of rogue on
a Z80, or who doesn't like the BIOS for his system, so he re-writes
it, or who just generally isn't afraid to spit on his hands and go to
work with assembler doing things that not even C can acheive. NOTHING
I have done while wearing my hacker hat has ever constituted theft or
malicious damage. I think that trojan horses are just plain sick,
BBSs are there for useful interchange of information, or entertainment.

[Flamethrower away]

P.S. I missed a golden opportunity - Listening to KFOG this morning they
had Woz in the studio for at least 1/2 an hour, and I never got a
chance to call him up and get his thoughts on the matter. C'est la vie.
--
		dg@wrs.UUCP - David Goodenough

					+---+
					| +-+-+
					+-+-+ |
					  +---+

biff@nuchat.UUCP (Brad Daniels) (07/11/87)

In article <2240@bunker.UUCP>, rha@bunker.UUCP (The Minister of Myrth) writes:
>      Electronically stored information should be no different from any other
> tangible good.  If a computer system has even basic security features and
> this security is violated by someone who is not authorized, then this person
> should be guilty of either larceny or breaking and entering, whichever is
> more applicable to the particular circumstance.

I don't think this is an accurate assessment.  You could possibly argue that
breaking into a computer system (with or without security) is the moral
equivalent of breaking and entering or maybe trespassing, but the fact
remains that that is not what the person is actually doing.  Nobody is
physically entering your property or breaking your locks.

Similarly, "stealing" information is not strictly "stealing"....  If
you leave me alone in your office and leave confidential information
where I can get at it, and then I take pictures of that information
to look at later, I am hardly stealing anything.  You would still have
the information, but I would now have it also.  Granted, it seems
that there is something morally wrong with doing such things, but
it certainly doesn't qualify as larceny.

I agree that some methods of obtaining information are acceptable,
while others aren't.  I certainly do not want people randomly
invading computers and discovering information which I would prefer
to keep confidential.  However, the information is not a "tangible
good."  The person obtaining the information can and should only
be punished if a law was broken in obtaining the information.  I
firmly believe that unauthorized possession of confidential infor-
mation should not constitute a crime.

As for the issue of accessing computers without authorization, I
agree that there should be some law against it.  I do not, however,
believe that it is breaking and entering.

what I am trying to say is that the issue is not at all cut-and-dried.
Should we treat a kid who just wants to see if he can get into a real
computer the same as we treat a professional thief who is trying to
make a companies computer mail him money?  At present, people can only
be punished if they commit a crime (such as toll fraud, embezzlement,
etc.) when they break into a system.  Perhaps that is how things should
remain.

			- Brad
--
Brad Daniels				...!soma!eyeball!biff
Now that I have my own account,		biff@tethys.rice.edu

dlm@codas.ATT.COM (Don_L_Million) (07/13/87)

In article <234@wrs.UUCP>, dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:

> ... phreak is the term that should be used to describe people that
> attempt malicious damage or theft. I use the term hacker to describe
> someone like myself who writes a 90% full implementation of rogue on
> a Z80, .. NOTHING I have done while wearing my hacker hat has ever
> constituted theft or malicious damage.

OK, as long as you're hacking away on your own machine, I have nothing
but respect for your ingenuity.  As soon as you intentionally break into
someone else's machine YOU ARE A CRIMINAL!  I don't care whether you damage
anything or not!  Just like you wouldn't care whether or not I found some-
thing to take; if I broke into your house, you'd want me prosecuted.

BTW this may sound like a flame, but it's not intended as such.

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (07/14/87)

In article <1139@codas.ATT.COM> dlm@codas.ATT.COM (Don_L_Million) writes:
>In article <234@wrs.UUCP>, dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>>
>> ... phreak is the term that should be used to describe people that
>> attempt malicious damage or theft. I use the term hacker to describe
>> someone like myself who writes a 90% full implementation of rogue on
>> a Z80, .. NOTHING I have done while wearing my hacker hat has ever
>> constituted theft or malicious damage.
>>
>OK, as long as you're hacking away on your own machine, I have nothing
>but respect for your ingenuity.  As soon as you intentionally break into
>someone else's machine YOU ARE A CRIMINAL!  I don't care whether you damage
>anything or not!  Just like you wouldn't care whether or not I found some-
>thing to take; if I broke into your house, you'd want me prosecuted.
>
>BTW this may sound like a flame, but it's not intended as such.

Just to try to set the record straight on what a "hacker" is, for those who
do not yet understand...The following is taken from the Jargon File, which
is maintained on MIT-AI and a few other machines.  Of the six definitions of
the word given here, only *one* has *anything* to do with breaking the
security of computer systems (many "real" hackers prefer to use the term
"cracker" for such malicious vandals).

HACKER [originally, someone who makes furniture with an axe] n. 1. A
   person who enjoys learning the details of programming systems and
   how to stretch their capabilities, as opposed to most users who
   prefer to learn only the minimum necessary.  2. One who programs
   enthusiastically, or who enjoys programming rather than just
   theorizing about programming.  3. A person capable of appreciating
   hack value (q.v.).  4. A person who is good at programming quickly.
   Not everything a hacker produces is a hack.  5. An expert at a
   particular program, or one who frequently does work using it or on
   it; example: "A SAIL hacker".  (Definitions 1 to 5 are correlated,
   and people who fit them congregate.)  6. A malicious or inquisitive
   meddler who tries to discover information by poking around.  Hence
   "password hacker", "network hacker".

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (07/14/87)

In article <1139@codas.ATT.COM> dlm@codas.ATT.COM (Don_L_Million) writes:
>OK, as long as you're hacking away on your own machine, I have nothing
>but respect for your ingenuity.  As soon as you intentionally break into
>someone else's machine YOU ARE A CRIMINAL!  I don't care whether you damage
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would be interested in knowing the specific CRIMINAL laws that have
been violated.

Regardess of your personal value system, an action can only be CRIMINAL in
nature if it contravenes a specific statute, defining it to be a CRIMINAL
action.

I totally agree that intentionally breaking into someone else's machine is a
repulsive, and vile thing, that SHOULD be a CRIMINAL action if it isn't
already.

--
{ihnp4!alberta!ubc-vision,uunet}!van-bc!Stuart.Lynne Vancouver,BC,604-937-7532

dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/14/87)

In article <1139@codas.ATT.COM> dlm@codas.ATT.COM (Don_L_Million) writes:
>In article <234@wrs.UUCP>, dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>>
>> ... phreak is the term that should be used to describe people that
>> attempt malicious damage or theft. I use the term hacker to describe
>> someone like myself who writes a 90% full implementation of rogue on
>> a Z80, .. NOTHING I have done while wearing my hacker hat has ever
>> constituted theft or malicious damage.
>>
>OK, as long as you're hacking away on your own machine, I have nothing
>but respect for your ingenuity. As soon as you intentionally break into
				 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>someone else's machine YOU ARE A CRIMINAL! I don't care whether you damage
>anything or not!
>BTW this may sound like a flame, but it's not intended as such.
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks!

Exactly my point: people seem to think that anyone who programs computers
as a hobby (oops - it's out - don't tell my boss I'm getting paid
$26000 / annum for working on my hobby) will automatically delight in
breaking into someone elses computer and nuking the password file; or
creating the All-American compiler for mess-dos that really formats
any hard discs it can find. It just isn't so. Sadly there are twisted
mentalities out there that are like that, but I can assure you that we
aren't all like that. I for one was very glad to see a program in the
IBM SIG P.D. library which does the same basic job as strings. As far
as I know in the Seattle area (where I used to live) it was responsible
for spotting at least three trojans. Any one who wants C source (MY OWN,
NOT STOLEN from AT&T or UCB or anywhere) for a similar program is welcome
to ask. As for anyone who still holds onto the notion that a hacker, by
definition should not be let out of sight with a terminal and a modem,
Well my flamethrower is full of gas, and warmed up and ready... - the
correct term here is phreak.
--
		dg@wrs.UUCP - David Goodenough

					+---+
					| +-+-+
					+-+-+ |
					  +---+

karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) (07/15/87)

In article <555@agora.UUCP>, batie@agora.UUCP (Alan Batie) writes:
> In article <1063@killer.UUCP> robertl@killer.UUCP (Robert Lord) writes:
> > (Dissertation comparing hacking to joyriding deleted)
> >
> 2.  It's false.  There are public access Unix systems all over the place
> now where one can get free access to do everything you're trying to accomplish
> (except cracking the system).  I run one myself (agora, 503-640-4262) --
> there's absolutely no need to crack a system to expand your horizons, unless
> you're such a twit that no one will give you an account (and I doubt that).
> --

True -- in the Chicago area, there are at least five public-access Unix
systems I know of, and probably a few I don't know about. Nice, inexpensive
systems like the 7300 and Microport's proliferation have been largely
responsible for this (heck, we run it here).

We permit public access to our system (in a limited manner). Some other
sites are much more open than we are (although they do not have the diverse
choice of facilities and software available that we do). Also, gaining what
essentially amounts to full access here requires only a modest contribution
to help us maintain our phone lines, etc....

In short -- you want to learn Unix, learn. If you're going to hack (be
destructive and/or invasive), you're way out of line.

(Modem number below is public access line)

--

Karl Denninger				UUCP : ...ihnp4!ddsw1!karl
Macro Computer Solutions		Dial : +1 (312) 566-8909 (300-1200)

dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/16/87)

In article <1016@van-bc.UUCP> sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) writes:
>In article <1139@codas.ATT.COM> dlm@codas.ATT.COM (Don_L_Million) writes:
>>OK, as long as you're hacking away on your own machine, I have nothing
>>but respect for your ingenuity.  As soon as you intentionally break into
>>someone else's machine YOU ARE A CRIMINAL!  I don't care whether you damage
>                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I would be interested in knowing the specific CRIMINAL laws that have
>been violated.

I would say that among others, Copyright law is very likely to be broken,
together with some law concerning privacy (4th. Amendment perhaps - forgive
me if I get it wrong: I'm Canadian, and we (Obviuosly) don't have the
U.S. Constitution, instead the Canadian Charter of Rights (Which incidentally
adds up to about the same effect)).
--
		dg@wrs.UUCP - David Goodenough

					+---+
					| +-+-+
					+-+-+ |
					  +---+

elg@killer.UUCP (Eric Green) (07/18/87)

in article <225@ddsw1.UUCP>, karl@ddsw1.UUCP (Karl Denninger) says:
> In article <555@agora.UUCP>, batie@agora.UUCP (Alan Batie) writes:
>> In article <1063@killer.UUCP> robertl@killer.UUCP (Robert Lord) writes:
>> > (Dissertation comparing hacking to joyriding deleted)
>> >
>> 2.  It's false.  There are public access Unix systems all over the place
>> now where one can get free access to do everything you're trying to accomplish
>> (except cracking the system).  I run one myself (agora, 503-640-4262) --
>> there's absolutely no need to crack a system to expand your horizons, unless
>> you're such a twit that no one will give you an account (and I doubt that).
>> --
>
> True -- in the Chicago area, there are at least five public-access Unix
> systems I know of, and probably a few I don't know about. Nice, inexpensive
> systems like the 7300 and Microport's proliferation have been largely
> responsible for this (heck, we run it here).

Free public-access systems are a recent innovation, driven by the declining
price of hardware. Until recently, the only available public access systems
were "for-pay" systems like Compuserve or The Source, due to the high cost of
the necessary hardware.  For example, a friend has some '70s vintage 80-meg
hard drives designed for a DEC minicomputer... the size of a washing machine,
consumes 1000 watts of power. Cost probably in the 10s of thousands originally
(altho he didn't pay that much, of course, since it was being scrapped... he's
STILL trying to figure out what he's going to do with those three PDP-8's that
he salvaged!). Needless to say, if you've got 10 or 15 of those on-line, you
have a pretty hefty A/C system, and a lot of free space (like,
WASHATERIA-size!). Ain't no way someone would run such a system as a hobby.

Nowadays, I could get an 80 meg drive for a Pee-Cee for $900 (and the AT clone
with Microport Unix for less than $3,000).

I would venture to say that for-pay on-line systems are the most common
victims of "hacking" (in the news-media sense of the word, not in MY sense of
the word!). For example, one popular gambit on Quantum Link (a Commodore
on-line system) is for people to log on with a forged certificate number and
fake credit card number... a month later, the account is deleted, upon which
they log in under yet another forged number....

Also needless to say, until the recent proliferation of powerful
microcomputers such as the Commodore Amiga, or the IBM AT clone running
Microport, the only way that a high schooler could get access to a "real"
system would be to get it illegally. Most schools still have an Apple ][ as
their most powerful computer (suburban schools, that is -- inner-city schools
don't have computers, because they don't have enough money, because school
systems are funded by sick racists).  What would YOU say if you're Joe Public,
and your kid says "Hi, Dad, I'd like you to give me $400/month to use The
Source, so I can learn how to program"?
   Hell, most people won't even give their kids money to buy programming books
or any OTHER educational book! I can't count the number of times that I've
answered chat on my BBS, to find it's a kid asking simple programming
questions... and when I recommend that they get some particular book (e.g., if
they're trying to program in assembler, the SAMS book _C-64 Assembly Language
Programming_), "uh, how much is it?  I don't have the money right now..." and
when I tell'em "why don't you ask your parents, they'll probably be glad that
you want to learn something" but usually their parent's answer is "no! Now go
back to your room, I don't want to be bothered with miserable little snivelly
kids underfoot while I'm watching nighttime soap operas!". It's amazing how
little time and money that most modern parents spend on their children's
growth, development, and education... usually, "here, here's $400 worth of
toys, get to your room out of sight because I don't want to be bothered with
the sight of you while I'm conspicuously consuming." (cut to boxed C-64 with
1541 and disk drive and modem).

--
Eric Green   elg%usl.CSNET     Ron Headrest: A President
{cbosgd,ihnp4}!killer!elg      for the Electronic Age!

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (07/20/87)

In article <246@wrs.UUCP> dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
Re: what crime does a hacker commit?

>I would say that among others, Copyright law is very likely to be broken,
>together with some law concerning privacy (4th. Amendment perhaps - forgive
>me if I get it wrong: I'm Canadian, and we (Obviuosly) don't have the
>U.S. Constitution, instead the Canadian Charter of Rights (Which incidentally
>adds up to about the same effect)).

Copyright law is only broken if the hacker copies something copyrighted
from the system broken into, not if he/she takes anthing else or just
mucks around.

The US Constitution prevents the government from violating the privacy
of a citizen, not one citizen of violating another's privacy.  I would
be surprised if it differs in Canada.

To make hacking illegal would require specific legeslation.  I
remember hearing about a computer cribe bill a few years ago, don't
know if it passed.  I think it could have made you guilty of a crime
if you stored your phone numbers on the company's computer without
permission.

Now if we only had cyberspace we could explain to the jury that the
hacker was trespassing!
--
/|/~\~~\    The entire world             Warren Burstein
 |__/__/_/  is a very narrow carrot.
 |          But the farmer               philabs!tg!pluto!warren
/           is not afraid at all.        Why doesn't life come with subtitles?