[comp.misc] Copyright law and licensing

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) (07/31/87)

In article <776@cod.UUCP>, rupp@cod.UUCP (William L. Rupp) writes:
> Software is copyrighted, as are books.  When you buy Lotus 123, you are
> in fact buying the disk.  You are not, however, buying the rights to
> replicate and sell copies of the program stored on that disk.  I don't
> like a lot of the details of software licensing, but I recognize that
> nobody would bother to create software if the licensing protection did
> not exist.

You just contradicted yourself.  Maybe you meant to say that
"nobody would bother to create software if the COPYRIGHT
protection did not exist."

Copyright law provides plenty of protection to the software
publishers.  You don't need an onerous shrink wrap license on
top of this already-existing protection.
--
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.