[comp.misc] Obnoxious software

chips@usfvax2.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) (07/27/87)

In article <870@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
} In article <6146@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
} >I think Ken & Dennis would have croaked anybody who tried to make
} >UNIX utilities print out identifying messages etc.
}
} If you use Microsoft's make utility to compile a collection of say
} 20 C files using Microsoft's C compiler, and then link them with
} Microsoft's linker, you get a steady barrage of obnoxious copyright
} messages:
}      one from the make program when it starts up
}      20 from the C compiler, one for each file compiled
}      one from the linker

Well, you can get rid of the 20 C compiler messages.  Use the "-nologo"
option to "cl".  No, it's not documented; but it works anyway.  :-)

} Now, a solution for the paranoid.  You CAN display a copyright message
} without harrassing the user.  Just do it only if your program is
} invoked without the proper arguments.

I like this idea.  And send it to standard error, just in case the standard
output is piped elsewhere.

} Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  {ihnp4,seismo}!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

--
Chip Salzenberg            UUCP: "uunet!ateng!chip"  or  "chips@usfvax2.UUCP"
A.T. Engineering, Tampa    Fidonet: 137/42    CIS: 73717,366

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (08/03/87)

In article <870@bsu-cs.UUCP>, dhesi@bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
> In article <6146@brl-smoke.ARPA> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
> >I think Ken & Dennis would have croaked anybody who tried to make
> >UNIX utilities print out identifying messages etc.
>
> Wish Ken and Dennis could get a lynch mob together.  If you use
> Microsoft's make utility to compile a collection of say 20 C files
> using Microsoft's C compiler, and then link them with Microsoft's
> linker, you get a steady barrage of obnoxious copyright messages:
>
>      one from the make program when it starts up
>      20 from the C compiler, one for each file compiled
>      one from the linker.....
> (complaints about other compilers, and solution for paranoid)

Allow me to dissent slightly...

There's one advantage to having the compiler spit out messages as it does
things: knowing that the machine is actually doing something. Under the MSC
compiler, and others that insist on telling you that they're copyrighted 16
million different ways and they'll come and take you away if you even think
about copying the code, it's easy to tell how far along a long compile is.

If I'm doing a 'cc foo*.c -o foo', there's no way to tell short of switching
consoles (easy under Microport) and running ps. Bleh. I'd like a way to know
how far along things are going so I can test my program.

--
>splut!<...Jay Maynard, K5ZC | uucp: ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!splut!jay
"Don't ask ME about Unix...  | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD            (...e-i-e-i-o!)
I speak SNA!"                | CI$: 71036,1603   FidoNet: SysOp @106/64
The opinions herein are shared by neither of my cats, much less anyone else.

In article <24@splut.UUCP>, jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) writes:
> If I'm doing a 'cc foo*.c -o foo', there's no way to tell short of switching
> consoles (easy under Microport) and running ps. Bleh. I'd like a way to know
> how far along things are going so I can test my program.

You haven't achieved guru-nature yet, grasshopper.

Instead of doing 'cc foo*.c -o foo', try making a makefile:

# Makefile for foo:
OBJS= foo.o foo1.o foo2.o foo3.o

foo: $(OBJS)
	cc $(OBJS) -o foo

This way you can also not recompile already compiled programs. Believe
it or not, but there are actualy filters that work on the output of cc.
One that I know of generates an annotated listing, another just plain
inserts the error messages as comments in your source. You don't want to
prevent such things, do you? Also, there are a couple of cases I know of
where cc is actually run in shell scripts. I guess you don't mind having
weird copyright messages showing up in the middle of a menu somewhere.
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)