[comp.misc] Leaving AT

lawitzke@eecae.UUCP (John Lawitzke) (08/12/87)

I, too, am a firm beliver in leaving my PC's on. The ones at work we
leave on constantly. We have a couple we've had for over three years
and they're working as good as our newer ones. For my personal XT at
home, I leave it on constantly except for during thunderstorms or
when I know I'll be gone or not using it for a few days.

The thing I've always wondered about is monitors. I turned mine off
when they won't be used for a few hours. I've looked at screen saver
programs, BUT:

Most screen saver programs save the screen contents in memory and then
display a blank screen. So, the CRT is still powered up and all
the sweep circuit is still going. Therefore, my question is:

IS it better for the CRT to be left on constantly (as far as the cathode
and analog sweep circuitry) or to be turned on and off once a day?

--
John H. Lawitzke                 UUCP: ...ihnp4!msudoc!eecae!lawitzke
Division of Engineering Research ARPA: lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu  (35.8.8.151)

dave@spool.wisc.edu (Dave Cohrs) (08/13/87)

In article <1623@eecae.UUCP> lawitzke@eecae.ee.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
>IS it better for the CRT to be left on constantly (as far as the cathode
>and analog sweep circuitry) or to be turned on and off once a day?

I can't speak about an AT monitor in particular, but here in the UW CS
dept, we leave the monitors on for all terminals and workstations 24
hours a day, all year long.  In the case of the B/W uvaxII monitors,
cycling the power is really hard on their circuits.  We recently moved
to our new building and lost three or four monitors because we had to
turn them off and on.  My monitor now has problems but is still usable
(it's been replaced once already).  I also leave the monitor on my home
terminal on all the time (I do turn down the brightness when I'm not
using it); cycling the power on it also makes the screen do strange
things until it is fully warmed up.

Dave Cohrs                                             Proud member of NOTHING
+1 608 262-2196                             UW-Madison Computer Sciences Dept.
dave@cs.wisc.edu                 ...!{harvard,ihnp4,seismo,rutgers}!uwvax!dave