[comp.misc] Mnemonics

majka@ubc-vision.UUCP (Marc Majka) (08/04/87)

The recent discussion of resistor colour codes brings up the subject
of mnemonics in general.  A few years ago I made a request for mnemonics
in net.jokes.  Here is a collection of mnemonics, partly from responses
to my request, partly from other sources.  If you have any other interesting
ones, please send them!  My apologies to those who sent any of these to me
originally:  I have lost your names!

---
Marc Majka

King Phillip came over for good soup

King Phillip come out for god sake

King Phillip calmly ordered five greasy steaks

Kingdom Phylum Class Order Family Genus Species
(Taxononic classification)

Toronto girls can flirt and only quit to chase dwarves.

Talc Gypsum Calcite Flurite Appetite Orthoclase Quartz Topaz
Corumdum Diamond
(Hardness scale 1-10 for minerals)

Father Charles Goes Down And Ends Battle

Reading from left to right, it tells you the order in which
sharps occur in major scales. That is, the scale with one sharp
has F sharp, the scale with two sharps has F sharp and C sharp,
and so on. Also, the name of the scale is the note immediately
following its last sharp in the list. For example, the scale with
four sharps -- F, C, G, and D -- si E major.

Reading the sentence backwards

Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles Father

gives you the order in which flats occur in major scales. You can
tell the name of the scale by using the list entry just to the
left of the last flat, wrapping around if need be. For example,
the scale with four flats -- B, E, A, and D -- is A-flat major.

Oh, Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me Right Now Sweetheart

Only Beer And Fine Grass Keep My Rattled Nerves Sane.

OBAFGKMRNS (Star classes on a stellar evolution diagram)

My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pickles

Mercury Venus Earth Mars Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto
(Planets)

Mother Very Thoughtfully Made A Jelly Sandwich Under No Protest

Mercury Venus Terra Mars Asteroids Jupiter Saturn Uranus Neptune Pluto
(Planets)

All cows eat grass

All cars eat gas

ACEG (the staff space notes for bass clef from bottom to top)

Every Good Bird Does Fly

Every good boy does fine

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

EGBDF (the line notes for treble clef)

King Hector died miserable death caught measles

Kilometer Hectometer Decameter Meter Decimeter Centimeter Millimeter
(Metric prefixes)

Some old hen caught another hen taking one away

S(in) = O(pposite)/H(ypotenuse)

C(os) = A(djacent)/H(ypotenuse)

T(an) = O(pposite)/A(djacent)

(Trigonometric equations)

Bad boys rape our young girls but Violet gives willingly - get
some now.

black brown red orange yellow green blue violet grey white gold
silver none

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 5% 10% 20%

(Resistor colour codes)

can dead men vote twice at elections.

transformation from compass reading to true
compass + deviation = magnetic;
magnetic + variation = true;
add east(ie subtract west)

also in the other direction the slightly sexist.

true virgins make dull companions

which is

true + variation = magnetic;
magnetic + deviation = compass
(and in this direction easterly variation and deviation is subtracted)

Camels often sit down carefully. Perhaps their joints creak.
Possibly early oiling might prevent premature rhumatism.

Cambrian Ordovician Sirillian Devonian Carboniferous Permian
Triassic Jurrasic Cretatious Paleocene Eocene Oligocene Myocene
Pileocene Pleistocene Recent
(Geolocical ages)

Practically every old man plays poker regularly.

Paleocene Eocene Oligocene Myocene Pileocene Pleistocene Recent
(Geolocical ages)

Roy G. Biv

Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet
(Rainbow colours in order)

May I have a large container of coffee? ...

How I want a drink, alcoholic of course, after the heavy chapters
involving quantum mechanics. One is, yes, adequate even enough
to produce some fun and pleasure for an instant, miserably brief.

Now I, even I, would celebrate
In rhymes unapt, the great
Immortal Syacusan, rivaled nevermore,
Who in his wonderous lore,
Passed on before,
Left men his guidance
How to circles mensurate.

See, I have a rhyme assisting my feeble brain, its tasks oft-times
resisting.

pi = 3.1415926535897932384626433832795... (Word lengths are digits)

Old people from Texas eat spiders

Occipital parietal frontal temporal ephnoid sphenoid
(Bones of the skull)

Every Bible Gets Dusty After Easter

E B G D A E (Standard guitar tuning)

Prime Minister - a toad!

Prophase Metaphase Anaphase Telophase
(Stages in cell division)

Oh my, such good apple pie, sweet as sugar.

Oh my sagging gonads, aching, pulsating, sore as shit.

oxalic, malonic, succinic, glutaric, adipic, pimelic, suberic,
azelaic, sebacic
((alpha, omega) dicaarboxylic acids from C2-C10.)

Spring forward - Fall back

Tells you how to adjust your clock for standard and daylight
saving time.

Lucy Can't Drink Milk

LCDM - The Roman numerals in order for 50, 100, 500 and 1000.

steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) (08/06/87)

ELI the ICE man.

Sophomore Physics, electricity and magnetism,
Circuit models for Inductance and Capacitance.

conventional variables:
E = EMF, or voltage
I = current
L = inductance (inductor)
C = cappacitance (capacitor)

When you feed AC through a {inductor,capacitor}
either current leads (peaks before) voltage or
the other way around.  In fact, E leads I through Ls
while I leads E through Cs

	What can I say?
	Steve Nuchia

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (08/12/87)

This is getting pretty far afield, but at one time I knew a mnemonic for
remembering the 12 cranial nerves.  It went something like "On Old Olympus,
a Fin and a ..." where the 'O' nerves are Olfactory, Optic, and something else.
'F' is facial.  The rest I forget.  Does anyone know it?

jv@mhres.mh.nl (Johan Vromans) (08/13/87)

In article <285@nuchat.UUCP>, steve@nuchat.UUCP (Steve Nuchia) writes:

> ELI the ICE man.
>
> [ stuff about electronic theory ... ]

Please re-direct this discussion out of this group.

--
Johan Vromans                           | jv@mh.nl via European backbone
Multihouse N.V., Gouda, the Netherlands | uucp: ..{seismo!}mcvax!mh.nl!jv

eva@cblpf.ATT.COM (Eva Martin) (08/14/87)

In article <369fdc75.b8ab@apollo.uucp> rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) writes:
>This is getting pretty far afield, but at one time I knew a mnemonic for
>remembering the 12 cranial nerves.  It went something like "On Old Olympus,
>a Fin and a ..." where the 'O' nerves are Olfactory, Optic, and something else.
>'F' is facial.  The rest I forget.  Does anyone know it?

I've heard it several different ways, but the way I first learned it was:

On Old Olympus' Towering Tops, a French And German Viewed Some Hops.

That was many years ago, in a 10th grade biology class.  I don't remember
what any of the nerves are excepted V is Vagus, the wanderer.

rodgin@hpccc.UUCP (08/14/87)

Here is another one, learned from a friend who was in the Merchant Marine:

	Righty-tighty, lefty-loosy.

	(which way you turn a screw to tighten it or loosen it)

dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) (08/14/87)

Another old favorite (in England at least) is "Richard of York gave battle
in vain". Now what's it a favorite for??
--
		dg@wrs.UUCP - David Goodenough

					+---+
					| +-+-+
					+-+-+ |
					  +---+

King Phillip, Come Out, For God's Sake.

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.

	-- Colin Fletcher, "The Complete Walker".

(which, by the way, is an amazingly good book. If only it came in Trade
Paperback size so it could be taken on walks).
--
-- Peter da Silva `-_-' ...!seismo!soma!uhnix1!sugar!peter (I said, NO PHOTOS!)

mark@applix.UUCP (Mark Fox) (08/17/87)

In article <301@wrs.UUCP> dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
 Another old favorite (in England at least) is "Richard of York gave battle
 in vain". Now what's it a favorite for??

How about Roy G. Biv?
--
                                    Mark Fox
       Applix Inc., 112 Turnpike Road, Westboro, MA 01581, (617) 870-0300

ddyment@water.UUCP (08/18/87)

For those who wish to add to Marc Majka's list of mnemonics, you should
check out a copy of Dr. Crypton's "Timid Virgins Make Dull Company",
published by Penguin (ISBN 0-14-00.80430), which contains an entire chapter
filled with such things, most of which are not on Marc's list.  One of my
favourite examples:  "Bourgeois dreamy damsel goads horny short sidekicks"
(Snow White's 7 dwarfs -- Bashful, Doc, Dopey, Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy).
Particularly impressive are paragraphs that recollect all the U.S. presidents
and all(!) the British monarchs in order.

--
Doug Dyment, Computer Science, University of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
    UUCP: {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,watmath,..}!water!ddyment

jsloan@wright.EDU (John Sloan) (08/19/87)

> In article <301@wrs.UUCP> dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>  Another old favorite (in England at least) is "Richard of York gave battle
>  in vain". Now what's it a favorite for??

Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet

The color spectrum

--
John Sloan  CSNET: jsloan@CS.Wright.EDU UUCP: ...!cbosgd!wright!jsloan
Computer Science Department, Wright State University, Dayton OH, 45435