[comp.misc] Multitech 224EH, MNP 5 & Speed Conversion.

IKS@PSUVM.BITNET (Indra K. Singhal) (08/26/87)

.
   MNP 5 for Multitech 224EH modems is around the corner.
   Microcom 9624/c has had it for some time now... Why
   should you get this $25 or $50 upgrade, as your case may
   be ? Couple of reasons:
.
   With MNP 3 we essentially got CRC checking at the
   firmware level... big deal (it was for long distance file
   transfers over packet switched networks). MNP 4 brought
   dynamic packet size adjustment and a larger default
   packet size... this provided smoother text scrolling and
   better efficiency over noisy lines. (I have a very
   clean line... I said... Hmmm...) larger packet sizes are
   nice. It also achieved upto 122% efficiency by
   optimizing data in its packets (remove start/stop bits at
   origin & replace at destination when speed conversion
   is used). MNP 5, hmmm $25. Hmmm. Should I ?
.
   I guess so. MNP 5 does dynamic realtime data compression.
   If you use your 224EH's speed conversion capabilities, it
   is said to provide up to 4800 baud throughput over 2400
   baud lines. Speed conversion means, your 'puter talks to
   the modem at 9600 baud while the modem continues at 2400.
   If you do not use speed conversion, MNP 5 will bring
   little or no benefit.
.
   To get speed conversion you need to go into your modem
   and flick a dip switch. You have to enable flow control.
   Switch 1 on the 4-position switch should be DOWN for CTS
   to act normally and NOT be forced on (UP is factory
   default). Then make sure the RTS jumper is set to
   function normally (which is the default, as per Rev. E
   User's manual of 1/15/87, page 9-9) and NOT forced on.
   Finally, the CTS/RTS jumper should be such that CTS
   follows RTS (again the default, page 9-10).
.
   Now for soft changes. Try the following configuration:
      &E1     - to set Auto-Reliable mode (see note below)
      &E4     - enable hardware flow control CTS/RTS
      &E13    - Pacing on
      $BA0    - disable baud adjust
      $SB9600 - serial port baud rate to 9600.
   Once you have it working, issue AT&W0 to save the config.
   Thereafter an AT Z will take you to this configuration.
   AND before you invoke your favourite Comm program, you
   should issue: MODE COM1: 9600,N,8,1 (or what ever).
.
   How do you know your speed conversion is working ? Get on
   to your favourite BBS, scan some text in non-stop mode
   and hit 'Pause' (or PC equivalent CTL-NUMLOCK (??)). You
   will see the text stop while the RD light stays on. Then
   hit any key to release the pause and try reading at 9600
   baud !!!
.
NOTE: some cheap modems get very upset at MNP detection data
   being thurst down their RJ11s. When calling them issue
   AT&E0 before dialing.
   *%*%* Have fun !!
2) I have no connectoin with Multitech other than being a happy
   user. The above is from my head AND I am not liable if you get into
   trouble for using it... darn skin... have to save it.

-------

     Keep Smiling (-:-)                  --Indra K. Singhal

asp@puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) (08/27/87)

In article <18989IKS@PSUVM>, IKS@PSUVM.BITNET (Indra K. Singhal) writes:
> .
>    MNP 5 for Multitech 224EH modems is around the corner.
	I've been following Indra's Multitech adventures.   I went for cheap
with the "desktalk II" and then the Turbo 2400 EC, both made by Incomm.
The Turbo is MNP 4, Hayes compatible, and 2400 baud.  I just called them
about the MNP 5 upgrade (4800 baud).  It should be shipping in 2 wks.  The
cost is around $200 from the distributor (USA FLEX).  More than Multitech,
but the Turbo came in for $319.  It will be upgradeable to 9600.  Looks
like comm speeds are going up faster than my phone bills!

--
Internet: asp@puck.UUCP				Andy Puchrik
uucp: {alliant,wjh12}!maynard!puck!asp		Moonlight Systems