[comp.misc] Leaving a Mac on 24hrs

bangs@husc8.UUCP (08/18/87)

*--*
I am interested in buying some Mac SE's with hard drives built-in, and
I was wondering about leaving a Mac on for 24hrs. If I've got a fan on it,
is it ok? I realize that some Mac's have flaky power supplies and thus might
be more vulnerable to failure. Anyone out there always leave theirs on? My
boss did and found out that one time he could not turn up the brightness--
something has blown.

Alex Bangs	Harvard Robotics Lab	bangs@metatron.harvard.edu

keith@uhccux.UUCP (Keith Kinoshita) (08/19/87)

In article <2693@husc6.UUCP> bangs@metatron.harvard.edu (Alex Bangs) writes:
>*--*
>I am interested in buying some Mac SE's with hard drives built-in, and
>I was wondering about leaving a Mac on for 24hrs. If I've got a fan on it,
>is it ok? I realize that some Mac's have flaky power supplies and thus might
>be more vulnerable to failure. Anyone out there always leave theirs on? My
>boss did and found out that one time he could not turn up the brightness--
>something has blown.
>
>Alex Bangs	Harvard Robotics Lab	bangs@metatron.harvard.edu

I used to routinely keep my Mac+ on for days, sometimes weeks on end,
and it's still functioning as good as when it came out of the box.
However, HECO (Hawaiian Electric Co) has seen fit recently
to provide my computer with numerous blackouts, power fluctuations,
and other nasty power beasties.  So I have now adopted the "turn it
off in case of a real beaut" policy.  If the power problems die out, I'll
probably go back to leaving it on.  (Oh yeah, I keep my Mac cool with
an IBM fan.  Yessiree, IBM makes great fans)

With you getting a hard disk, power problems are more acute, but I don't
think you were talking about my type of "power supply" problems, were
you?  :-)  BTW, Mac SEs have bigger, more robust power supplies, so
that's one in your favor.  I'd say leave it on.
--
Keith Kinoshita; c/o UHCC; 2565 The Mall, Keller Hall; Honolulu, HI 96822
UUCP:     {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!keith

anson@elrond.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (08/19/87)

In article <2693@husc6.UUCP> bangs@metatron.harvard.edu (Alex Bangs) writes:
>*--*
>I am interested in buying some Mac SE's with hard drives built-in, and
>I was wondering about leaving a Mac on for 24hrs. If I've got a fan on it,
>is it ok?

We have had a Mac running 24 hours a day for a couple of years now, with few
problems.  It started life as a 512K w/HyperDrive, and was recently upgraded
to a virtual Plus.  It has no fan, but probably should now that it's a Plus.
The SE with internal hard drive also includes a fan, so you're ok.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

dudek@utai.UUCP (08/20/87)

   I've been leaving my Mac+ on 24hrs since I got it about a
year ago with now problems.  It's not even in an air conditioned room.
   I have noticed, however, that if I do turn it off for a while
the screen gets all "jumpy" for about 10 or 20 minutes until it
seems to get nice and cookin' again inside.
--
Dept. of Computer Science (vision group)    University of Toronto
Usenet:	{linus, ihnp4, allegra, decvax, floyd}!utcsri!dudek

lyang%scherzo@Sun.COM (Larry Yang) (08/21/87)

In article <4042@utai.UUCP> dudek@ai.UUCP (Gregory Dudek) writes:
>   I've been leaving my Mac+ on 24hrs since I got it about a
>year ago with now problems.  It's not even in an air conditioned room.

I'm not so convinced that leaving a Mac on all the time is such a good
idea.  I own a Mac+, and after even a few hours of operation, the
side of the mac (the side with the analog board) feels *very* hot.  I'm
not convinced that the Mac's thermal design was done very well; I know
that Steve Jobs dictated the 'computers should be seen and not heard'
philosophy, and so not having a fan was one of the first decision the
designers made.  I've heard of Macs going down hard with just one of
those tiny vents blocked.

Being concerned about riding on the thermal edge like that, I
bought a fan for it.  Now it operates at a much more comfortable temperature.
(Comfortable for my peace of mind, that is.)  I've seen many flaky Macs; I didn't
want to give mine any reason to flake out, too.

--Larry Yang [lyang@sun.com,{backbone}!sun!lyang]|   A REAL _|> /\ |
  Sun Microsystems, Inc., Mountain View, CA      | signature |   | | /-\ |-\ /-\
    Hobbes: "Why do we play war and not peace?"  |          <|_/ \_| \_/\| |_\_|
    Calvin: "Too few role models."               |                _/          _/

prgclb@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Blesch) (08/21/87)

In article <4042@utai.UUCP>, dudek@utai.UUCP (Gregory Dudek) writes:

>    I've been leaving my Mac+ on 24hrs since I got it about a
> year ago with now problems.  It's not even in an air conditioned room.
>    I have noticed, however, that if I do turn it off for a while
> the screen gets all "jumpy" for about 10 or 20 minutes until it
> seems to get nice and cookin' again inside.

I just got a new power supply in my Mac 512K enhanced (I've heard
from more than one Mac owner that power supplies aren't the most
rugged component, to put it tactfully), and I noticed the same thing.
The screen is fuzzy for the first several minutes.  Patterns with dots
close together (like the desktop and the scrolling bars) shimmer, and
letters aren't very crisp.  After a while, things look okay.

One other oddity -- not really a problem, but an annoyance -- the
screen image is not truly centered on the CRT -- it's slightly off
to the left.  I see the whole image, but there's a narrower "margin"
on the left side than the right.

Are these things normal?  I'm going to ask the repair person, but
I'd like to collect other informed opinions . . .

Thanks,
Carl Blesch

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (08/22/87)

in article <5180@ihlpa.ATT.COM>, prgclb@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Blesch) says:

> I just got a new power supply in my Mac 512K enhanced (I've heard
> from more than one Mac owner that power supplies aren't the most
> rugged component, to put it tactfully), and I noticed the same thing.
> The screen is fuzzy for the first several minutes.  Patterns with dots
> close together (like the desktop and the scrolling bars) shimmer, and
> letters aren't very crisp.  After a while, things look okay.
>
> Are these things normal?  I'm going to ask the repair person, but

Normal?  No way.  The symptoms you describe are generally associated with
a power supply that's going to fail. Please take that Mac of yours back
to the repair shop post haste.  Get the technician to adjust the power supply
and whatever other components necessary to get rid of your video problem.

You see, the video driver and the power supply are on the same board ...
One of the most common systems of a power supply that's about to go to
Mac heaven is oddities in the video.  Something isn't right, even though it
straightens itself out once the macine warms up.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
seismo!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop

wmartin@ut-ngp.UUCP (Wiley Sanders) (08/24/87)

>Normal?  No way.  The symptoms you describe are generally associated with
>a power supply that's going to fail. Please take that Mac of yours back
>to the repair shop post haste.  Get the technician to adjust the power supply

   Not normal but not unusual. Judging from the traffic on this newsgroup,
a _lot_ of Macs have failed this way. Also, I don't think there is any
adjustment that can be made that will get rid of the twitching screen.
You just have to wait until it fails completely or else is so bad you
can't stand it any more, then gat another board. I know
from experience; I've had two fail in
the last three years and my third is on the way...
-w
--
Wiley Sanders, Civil Engineering Dept, UT-Austin
secret NSA CIA anti Soviet Iran terrorist nuclear drug decoder ring

bangs@husc8.HARVARD.EDU (Alex Bangs) (08/24/87)

Thanks to everyone who replied. Everyone who replied (as far as I can remember)
said that it is ok to do, especially with a fan. Also, people said that
problems are more likely to crop up on computers turned on and off everyday
than those left on for a year. The one essential for these systems, however,
is a screen saver.

Thanks for the help.

Alex

patm@omepd (Pat Mead) (08/25/87)

In article <6014@ut-ngp.UUCP> wmartin@ngp.UUCP (Wiley Sanders) writes:

>   Not normal but not unusual. Judging from the traffic on this newsgroup,
>a _lot_ of Macs have failed this way. Also, I don't think there is any
>adjustment that can be made that will get rid of the twitching screen.
>You just have to wait until it fails completely or else is so bad you
>can't stand it any more, then gat another board. I know
>from experience; I've had two fail in
>the last three years and my third is on the way...

I have seen this happen in many cases also but in my and others cases it could
be stopped without a analog board replacement. In most cases (not all but most)
the reason for this is that the solder joints on the connector that you plug
the wires from the logic board into get cracked and no longer make a proper
connection. The prime first sign of this is video problems that go away when
the mac warms up (the metal expands with heat and good contact is made). This
will get worse until it looks like your lost your analog board. A new board
will take care of the problem but so will re-soldering your connections. While
your at it also check the solder joints on the flyback transformer and all
other solder joints. If you see little cracks in the solder or bad solder
joints re-solder them or have someone you know can solder do it for you. I know
from mine and others experince that this works. My original 3 year old mac is
still going strong on it's original analog board.

If your mac is having problems with the analog board try this before spending
the bucks on a new board. If it fails then you lost nothing in trying but if
this is your problem (and it most likely will be) you saved money and the hassle
of taking your mac in for repairs.

usual disclaimers---

Patrick Mead			ogcvax!inteloa!omepd!patm

kopaz@rdlvax.RDL.COM (John 'Echo' Kopaz) (08/27/87)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.2 of Thu Aug 13 1987 on rdlvax (berkeley-unix)

>The screen is fuzzy for the first several minutes.  Patterns with dots
>close together (like the desktop and the scrolling bars) shimmer, and
>letters aren't very crisp.  After a while, things look okay.

>screen image is not truly centered on the CRT -- it's slightly off
>to the left.  I see the whole image, but there's a narrower "margin"
>on the left side than the right.

>Are these things normal?  I'm going to ask the repair person, but

this sounds to me like a case of EMI!  checking the connections is a good
place to start, but if your power supply is radiating that badly it might
need to be shielded from the crt.  i would check the specs on the power
supply to see if it has tolerable radiated emissions and maybe do some
field measurements..... if you have the equipment.

i think that an inspection of the wiring and connections by a qualified
person is the first step.

for further info on EMI check your freshman physics E&M text.

			.echo
--
                        john a. kopaz [aka echo.]
     associate research scientist / software engineer / test specimen

kck@wdl1.UUCP (08/28/87)

I leave mine on all the time for the various reasons listed in the responses
to the same question re IBM PCs.   It is warm on the top left, but not hot,
in spite of the fact that my study is not airconditioned.  I use Macsbug to keep
from wearing out the phosphor.  I hate to listen to see if a disk will spin up.
It has gone through a couple of powerouts ok, but I would really prefer to have
a power strip/protector which just leaves it down til I come back it the power
drops out.