[comp.misc] Computer Tape Disposal

pc6300@cbnscs.UUCP (Linda Dunlap - AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OSTC) (10/07/87)

Our Environmental department asked me if there is anything they need
to be concerned with regarding the disposal of a large number of
700' and 2400' reels of magnetic tape.  They seemed to think there were
trace amounts of mercury in them.  Can anyone advise?

Linda Dunlap - AT&T, Columbus, Ohio  cbnscs!pc6300

In article <276@cbnscs.UUCP>, pc6300@cbnscs.UUCP (Linda Dunlap  - AT&T Network Systems, Columbus OSTC) writes:
> Our Environmental department asked me if there is anything they need
> to be concerned with regarding the disposal of a large number of
> 700' and 2400' reels of magnetic tape.  They seemed to think there were
> trace amounts of mercury in them.  Can anyone advise?

	My organization did a lab study for a toy manufacturer a few years
back to determine if there were any materials in magnetic recording tape
which could injure a young child if they were to ingest the tape from a
broken tape cassette.  I won't event begin to speculate what would possess
a child do do this. :-)  In this day and age, manufacturers of consumer
products - especially toys - are concerned to the point of paranoia about
product liability.
	In any event, I am have some familiarity with magnetic recording
tape composition as a result of this study.  Computer tape does have a
different formulation from that of audio tape, but it's close enough for
the present discussion.
	The tape itself (sans magnetic compounds) is a polyester film;
chemically, it is (poly) 1,4-butylene terephthalate or (poly) tetramethylene
terphthalate.  The film also contains small amounts of stabilizers and a
coloring agent.
	While we did not study computer tapes per se, my educated guess is
that a 2,400 foot 1/2 inch computer tape with a magnetic coating thickness
of 250 microinches will contain approximately one ounce (weight) of magnetic
coating material.  The magnetic coating material will most likely be a
blend of ferric oxide and chromium dioxide, along with a resin which binds
the material together and causes adherence to the polyester film.  There
may also be a small amount of a molybdenum compound (like molybdenum
disulfide) as a lubricant.
	That's it.  All of the above compounds in the quantities which may
be found in magnetic recording tape are intrinsically safe to the
environment.  Magnetic recording tape is not "bio-degradeable", but over
hundreds of years it will probably depolymerize into powder.
	There is no mercury or mercury compounds intentionally added to
any magnetic recording tape that I am aware of.  In our study for the
toy manufacturer, we examined about 20 samples of tape from different
manufacturers of audio cassettes.  We conducted a general analysis for
heavy metals by means of AA and ICP spectrophotometric analysis.  While
we did find traces of heavy metals (including mercury), the amounts were
insignificant (in the ppb range); this is no more than would be found by
analysis of any common object like say, a paperclip.
	I suppose I shouldn't say this, but the only possible environmental
hazard of magnetic recording tape could result from burning it.  At
temperatures between 250 and 500 deg C the chromium dioxide would be
converted to chromium trioxide, which is a rather corrosive substance.
However, the quantities involved in the tape are still rather small, and
burning probably represents no worse a scenario than the production of
hydrogen chloride by the burning of PVC.
	So, to sum up: I don't see any potential environmental harm posed
by the landfill disposal of magnetic recording tape.  There is a slight
potential environmental harm posed by incineration of recording tape, but
the effects of this can be mitigated by combustion in an incinerator
equipped with a waste gas scrubber (pretty common these days).

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231       {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) (10/08/87)

[]
In article <276@cbnscs.UUCP>, pc6300@cbnscs.UUCP writes:
> Our Environmental department asked me if there is anything they need
> to be concerned with regarding the disposal of a large number of
> 700' and 2400' reels of magnetic tape.  They seemed to think there were
> trace amounts of mercury in them.  Can anyone advise?
>
> Linda Dunlap - AT&T, Columbus, Ohio  cbnscs!pc6300

If you are concerned about environmental impact, why not erase them
and sell them to a surplus place (or at least donate them to a college).
(Unless they are too beaten up and worn to use.)
You can bulk erase them if you are concerned about security.
Hasn't your Environmental department heard of recycling and the
surplus market?

Here in New Jersey, recycling is THE LAW!
The landfills are too full.  Localities choose what to recycle,
usually glass and aluminum.
It's an idea whose time has come!

In article <2166@sfsup.UUCP>, jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) writes:
> > Our Environmental department asked me if there is anything they need
> > to be concerned with regarding the disposal of a large number of
> > 700' and 2400' reels of magnetic tape.
>
> If you are concerned about environmental impact, why not erase them
> and sell them to a surplus place (or at least donate them to a college).
> You can bulk erase them if you are concerned about security.
> Hasn't your Environmental department heard of recycling and the
> surplus market?

	The truth of the matter is that computer tape designed for digital
recording makes a rather unsatisfactory audio tape.  Not that 1/2 inch
computer tape slit to audio size won't work, mind you, but the audio
quality will be poor.  The reason is that digital data recording is a
"saturation" type of recording whereby there are only 0's and 1's written
on the tape, with such binary elements being determined by signals of
proper magnetic polarity.  The magnetic oxide material on digital computer
tapes has a B-H magnetic response curve which is optimized for such
saturation recording.  Not the same type of B-H curve found on audio tape.
	Incidently, there is (or pretty much was) a 1/2 inch tape which
was not that bad when slit for audio use.  This is tape designed for
IRIG-spec analog instrumentation recorders which were extensively used in
military and aerospace applications during the 1950's through 1970's.
These recorders did record signals in analog form, and their tape had decent
B-H curves.  Such analog instrumentation recorders are still used today,
but they are rapidly being replaced by digital signal processing which
uses digital recorders.
	HUGE amounts of surplus analog instrumentation recorder tape
abounded during the 1960's and 1970's, but surplus sources for it have
significantly diminished.  Most of the audio tape that resulted from
sltting surplus tape used analog instrumentation tape.
	So my point is: an honest surplus dealer won't touch surplus
digital tape with a ten-foot pole, so there is effectively no market for
it.  Then again, there are dishonest surplus dealers...

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231       {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|seismo|utzoo}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) (10/12/87)

[]
In article <2093@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP writes:
> In article <2166@sfsup.UUCP>, jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) writes:
> > > Our Environmental department asked me if there is anything they need
> > > to be concerned with regarding the disposal of a large number of
> > > 700' and 2400' reels of magnetic tape.
> >
> > If you are concerned about environmental impact, why not erase them
> > and sell them to a surplus place (or at least donate them to a college).
> > You can bulk erase them if you are concerned about security.
> > Hasn't your Environmental department heard of recycling and the
> > surplus market?
>
> 	The truth of the matter is that computer tape designed for digital
> recording makes a rather unsatisfactory audio tape.  Not that 1/2 inch
> computer tape slit to audio size won't work, mind you, but the audio
> quality will be poor.  The reason is that ....

I agree that digital tapes are not audio tapes, but I didn't either
directly nor indirectly say that they should be used in any way
contrary to their intended purpose.
I haven't seen the original poster comment on the condition of the tapes.
If they are still useable, then there must be somewhere where tapes are
sorely needed, such as a college where many backups are made but rarely
used, and few projects deserve 'the good stuff'.
Case in point: as an undergrad, I kept a few tapes of my stuff
off-line to conserve disk space.   The tapes saw little use,
and now are quite unimportant.  I couldn't see it worth my spending a
few bucks for new tape, so a box of surplus tapes would've been
very helpful then (I used old tapes because I was too cheap).

Just trying to match a need with an excess.

Jeffrey Jonas
[ihnp4 | allegra} attunix ! jeffj

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (10/16/87)

In article <2093@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> In article <2166@sfsup.UUCP>, jeffj@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Jonas) writes:
> > > Our Environmental department asked me if there is anything they need
> > > to be concerned with regarding the disposal of a large number of
> > > 700' and 2400' reels of magnetic tape.
> > If you are concerned about environmental impact, why not erase them
> > and sell them to a surplus place (or at least donate them to a college).
>
> 	The truth of the matter is that computer tape designed for digital
> recording makes a rather unsatisfactory audio tape. ...
> 	So my point is: an honest surplus dealer won't touch surplus
> digital tape with a ten-foot pole, so there is effectively no market for
> it.
At MIT, my computer center used surplus DIGITAL tape in our computers
all the time.  What are you talking about?

(We also occaisionally used them for constructing swings in the computer
room when they failed to pass "tptest" :-).

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
		-- Johnny Hart