[comp.misc] ftp

dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) (10/19/87)

In article <2218@uunet.UU.NET> rsalz@uunet.UU.NET (Rich Salz) writes:
> Rick Adams (rick@uunet.uu.net) provides archive access to those on the
> Internet.  Access is available directly via anonymous FTP; look in
> ~ftp/comp.sources.unix/volumeN.  Rick and I have managed to work out
> an arrangement so that these archives are always current -- right as
> the sources are published.

For us mere mortals who do not know how do access things via FTP
*HOW_DOES_IT_WORK* ?????

I live in the midst of .UUCP land with no direct connections to anywhere
interesting, and would dearly love to be able to get at some of this
stuff, but ALL requests for information on how to drive this have fallen
on deaf ears. So again I ask HOW DOES IT WORK?

Thanks in advance,
--
		dg@wrs.UUCP - David Goodenough

		..... !rtech!--\
				>--!wrs!dg
		  ..... !sun!--/

					+---+
					| +-+-+
					+-+-+ |
					  +---+

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/22/87)

In article <421@wrs.UUCP> dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) responds:
> For us mere mortals who do not know how do access things via FTP
> *HOW_DOES_IT_WORK* ?????

	The key is the phrase "to those on the Internet".  FTP stands for
File Transfer Protocol, and is also the name of a program which uses that
protocol to copy files between machines.  If a site wants to make file
publicly available, they put them in an directory which outside people can
access with the username "anonymous" and no password (or sometimes, the
password "guest").

	While FTP works fine between any pair of machines which know how to
speak internet protocols at each other (note: this does not by a long shot
limit you to Unix systems) and with a network connection between them, when
people say "available via anonymous FTP" they are almost always talking
about machines on the DARPA internet, or simply, the Internet.  If you are
not on the Internet, you can't do anonymous FTP, at least not in the sense
Rich is talking about.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

blarson@skat.usc.edu (Bob Larson) (10/22/87)

In article <421@wrs.UUCP> dg@wrs.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>For us mere mortals who do not know how do access things via FTP
>*HOW_DOES_IT_WORK* ?????

Ftp (file transfer protocol) is part of the tcp/ip suite of protocols.
"the Internet" is a group of computer networks that talk to each other
using these protocols.  (Arpanet, milnet, nsfnet, and portions of
csnet.)  My understanding is it's not cheap to hook up to the internet
without DOD or NSF sponsership.

My understanding is uunet makes its archives available to its
customers.  Contact them for details.  (uunet!postmaster)  This is
probably much cheaper than trying to join the internet.
--
Bob Larson		Arpa: Blarson@Ecla.Usc.Edu
Uucp: {sdcrdcf,cit-vax}!oberon!skat!blarson		blarson@skat.usc.edu