[comp.misc] The truth about cat

dmr@alice.UUCP (10/17/87)

Good grief.  I've been taunted enough.

cat	is short for catenate, is one of the approximately 10 primordial
	Unix commands, and has nothing to do with G{E}COS.

daemon	dates to CTSS whence it came to Multics and Unix.

runoff	was Saltzer's very early formatting program on CTSS.  Probably
	the later ASCII version on CTSS was called roff, but in any event,...

roff	is short for runoff.

nroff	is new roff.

troff	is typesetter roff; it predates nroff, and also the typesetter
	attached to CGOS.  The Comp Center downstairs, who ran the GCOS
	machines, saw our C/A/T (Computer Aided Typesetter, a product of
	Graphic Systems, later bought by Singer, later or maybe earlier
	bought by Librascope), were envious, and bought one too; in any event,
	C/A/T is not to be confused with the cat command.

the gcos field
	sometimes we sent printer output or batch jobs to the GCOS machines.
	The gcos field in the password file was a place to stash the
	information for the $IDENT card.  Not elegant.

			Dennis Ritchie

mccarthy@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (10/19/87)

Written  3:47 am  Oct 17, 1987 by dmr@alice.UUCP (Dennis Ritchie)
>Good grief.  I've been taunted enough.
[....]
>daemon	dates to CTSS whence it came to Multics and Unix.
                 ^^^^
>runoff	was Saltzer's very early formatting program on CTSS.  Probably
                                                       ^^^^
>	the later ASCII version on CTSS was called roff, but in any event,...
                                   ^^^^
Now you're out to taunt us back, eh?  ;-)
What are you referring to when you use the abbreviation CTSS?  Around here
it stands for "CRAY Time-Sharing System", and not only do I think that it
does not use daemons or runoff, but it also came into use *after* Multics
and Unix.  That's why I think you mean something else than what it seems
to me; do you, and if so, what is it *really*?

I'm not saying you got it wrong, I'm saying I'd like to know what you're
using CTSS to stand for.
_____
D. J. McCarthy

cosell@cosell.bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (10/20/87)

CTSS was the Compatible Time Sharing System (can't remember what it was
compatible with any more).  It ran on the 7094.  In fact, as I recall the
transition IBM made from the 7090->7094 was the result of MIT-suggested
improvements *specifically* to make the machine time sharable.  [we did a
similar thing here at bbn at around the same time: in our case we were working
with DEC and specified the upgrade from the PDP-1c to the PDP-1d.  CTSS
was *not* compatible with us... :-)]

  /Bernie\

Bernie Cosell                       Internet:  cosell@bbn.com
Bolt, Beranek & Newman, Inc         USENET:    bbn.com!cosell
Cambridge, MA   02238               Telco:     (617) 497-3503

dmr@alice.UUCP (10/21/87)

Re CTSS:
Sorry for not spelling the acronym; as Bernie Cosell pointed out,
CTSS was "Compatible Time-Sharing System" at MIT, and ran on the
IBM 7090/94.  "Compatible" meant it had a batch mode that would run
FMS programs (FMS was Fortran Monitor System).  This was not used
much.

The 7090->7094 transition was not influenced by CTSS; the real
difference between the CTSS '90 or '94 and the commercial models was
the second core box (another 32K 36-bit words!) and a kludged-in
supervisor mode.  These were RPQs (sorry, another acronym:  "request
price quotation", i.e.  a special feature not ordinarily available.)
The stock 7094 was no more sharable than earlier models.

		Dennis Ritchie

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (10/22/87)

In article <48800008@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, mccarthy@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

> Written  3:47 am  Oct 17, 1987 by dmr@alice.UUCP (Dennis Ritchie)
> >Good grief.  I've been taunted enough.
> >daemon	dates to CTSS whence it came to Multics and Unix.
> >runoff	was Saltzer's very early formatting program on CTSS.  Probably
> >	the later ASCII version on CTSS was called roff, but in any event,...
> Now you're out to taunt us back, eh?  ;-)
> What are you referring to when you use the abbreviation CTSS?  Around here
> it stands for "CRAY Time-Sharing System",

Compatible Time-Sharing System.  Compatible with what, I don't recall.  That
was a time-sharing system developed by MIT people back when time-sharing was
unheard of (I think it was the third or so in operation).  This led to the
MIT AI people developing the Incompatible Time-Sharing system (ITS) for their
PDP-10 computers (and a queer beast it was!).

"Now go away, or we shall taunt you a second time!"

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw@eddie.mit.edu

"Cutting the space budget really restores my faith in humanity.  It
business of hate, debauchery, and self-annihilation."
		-- Johnny Hart

turner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (10/22/87)

> Written  7:51 am  Oct 19, 1987 by mccarthy@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
> >Written  3:47 am  Oct 17, 1987 by dmr@alice.UUCP (Dennis Ritchie)
>
> >daemon	dates to CTSS whence it came to Multics and Unix.
>                        ^^^^
> What are you referring to when you use the abbreviation CTSS?  Around
> here it stands for "CRAY Time-Sharing System"
> I'm not saying you got it wrong, I'm saying I'd like to know what you're
> using CTSS to stand for.
> _____
> D. J. McCarthy

CTSS (I assume) stands for Compatible Time Sharing System, an OS
designed at MIT circa 1962.  It ran on an IBM 7090 and was quite a
milestone in timesharing systems.  It supported up to 32 users
interactively and consumed only 5K 36 bit words.  Pretty amazing what
you can do with limited resources, eh?.  (The 7090 had only 32K words
to work with.)
 Steve Turner (on the Si prairie  - UIUC CSRD)

UUCP:	 {ihnp4,seismo,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uicsrd!turner
ARPANET: turner%uicsrd@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	 turner%uicsrd@uiuc.csnet            *-))    Mutants for
BITNET:	 turner@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu                Nuclear Power  (-%

msf@amelia (Michael S. Fischbein) (10/22/87)

In article <1877@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:
>  This led to the
>MIT AI people developing the Incompatible Time-Sharing system (ITS) for their
>PDP-10 computers (and a queer beast it was!).

It was incompatible when you weren't happy with the way it worked.  When
you were, or when ITS vs Multics bull sessions were held, it was the
Incomparable Time-sharing System!

	mike

Michael Fischbein                 msf@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov
                                  ...!seismo!decuac!csmunix!icase!msf
These are my opinions and not necessarily official views of any
organization.

ekwok@cadev4.intel.com (Edward C. Kwok) (10/22/87)

In article <5507@bbn.COM> cosell@bbn.com.UUCP (Bernie Cosell) writes:

>CTSS was the Compatible Time Sharing System (can't remember what it was
>compatible with any more).  It ran on the 7094.  In fact, as I recall the
>transition IBM made from the 7090->7094 was the result of MIT-suggested
>improvements *specifically* to make the machine time sharable.  [we did a

Subsequently, MIT made some more improvements and created a time-sharing
system called ITS, which was still in use the last time looked (1980).
ITS is, of course, a concatenation of "in" and "CTSS" (expanded).
Ah, the relentless pace of progress!

mikkel@cg-atla.UUCP (Carl Mikkelsen) (10/23/87)

In article <3190@ames.arpa> msf@amelia.UUCP (Michael S. Fischbein) writes:
>In article <1877@frog.UUCP> john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) writes:
>>  This led to the
>>MIT AI people developing the Incompatible Time-Sharing system (ITS) for their
>>PDP-10 computers (and a queer beast it was!).
>
>It was incompatible when you weren't happy with the way it worked.  When
>you were, or when ITS vs Multics bull sessions were held, it was the
>Incomparable Time-sharing System!
>
>	mike
>
>Michael Fischbein                 msf@prandtl.nas.nasa.gov
>                                  ...!seismo!decuac!csmunix!icase!msf

It was hardly incompatible.  There were four machines, on the same
floor, all running the same OS.  Through a local ARPA-net link, they
could directly access each other's disks, perhaps the first true
remote file system implementation.  I hacked TECO into being an
interactive screen editor, laying the foundation for Stallman and EMACS.

All of this was done on a PDP-10 with about 3-5 MICROsecond core
memory.  A 68000 makes it look slow!

Kernal documentation!  No problem.  The listings were the docs, and
everything was written in God's own programming language, PDP-10
assembler.

Although it was called Incompatible as a play on CTSS (which it used
parasitically to find out the time of day), I cast my vote for
Incomparable.

      | Carl Mikkelsen           |   ..!ism780c\                  |
      |                          | ..!cbosgd!ima>!cg-atla!mikkel  |
      | Compugraphic Corporation |   ..!ulowell/                  |
      | 200 Ballardvale St.	 |   ..!decvax/                   |
      | Wilmington, Ma. 01887    | (617) 658-5600 x 5220 (voice)  |
      |                          | (617) 658-0200 x 5220 (TT-auto)|