[comp.misc] Alphabets

biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (10/14/87)

International	English		French		German		Dutch

Alfa		Andrew		Anatole		Anton		Anna
						Aerger (A"..)
Bravo		Benjamin	Berthe		Berta		Bernard
Charlie		Charlie		Ce'lestin	Caesar		Cornelis
						Charlotte (Ch..)
Delta		David		De'sire'	Dora		Dirk
Echo		Edward		Euge`ne		Emil		Eduard
				Emile (E'..??)
Foxtrot		Frederick	Franc,ois	Friedrich	Ferdinand
Golf		George		Gaston		Gustav		Gerard
Hotel		Harry		Henri		Heinrich	Hendrik
India		Isaac		Irma		Ida		Izaak
Juliet		Jack		Joseph		Julius		Jan
Kilo		King		Kle'ber		Kaufmann	Karel
Lima		Lucy		Louis		Ludwig		Lodewijk
Mike		Mary		Marcel		Martha		Marie
November	Nellie		Nicolas		Nordpol		Nico
Oscar		Oliver		Oscar		Otto		Otto
						Oekonom (O"..)
Papa		Peter		Pierre		Paula		Pieter
Quebec		Queenie		Quintal		Quelle		Quotient
Romeo		Robert		Raoul		Richard		Rudolf
Sierra		Sugar		Suzanne		Samuel		Simon
						Schule (Sch..)
Tango		Tommy		The're`se	Theodor		Teunis
Uniform		Uncle		Ursule		Ulrich		Utrecht
						Uebermut (U"..)
Victor		Victory		Victor		Viktor		Victor
Whisky		William		William		Wilhelm		Willem
X-ray		Xmas		Xavier		Xanthippe	Xanthippe
								IJmuiden (IJ..)
Yankee		Yellow		Yvonne		Ypsilon		Ypsilon
Zulu		Zebra		Zoe"		Zacharias	Zaandam

Sometimes heard in Dutch:  Quirinus, Richard, Y-grec
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
	Their utter materialism is proven by the fact

gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) (10/21/87)

> International	English ...
>
> Alfa		Andrew
> Bravo		Benjamin
> Charlie	Charlie
> Delta		David
> Echo		Edward
> ...		...

A correction: "Juliett" is spelled with a double T, so that even the French
will pronounce it right.  (The J is a more formidable obstacle!)

I believe the U. S. Navy used these names, before the International standard
came along:

Able Baker Charley Dog Easy Fox George How Item Jot King Love Mike Nan Oboe
Peter Queen Roger Sugar Tare Uncle Victor William Xray Yoke Zebra.

Does anybody remember "B for mutton"?  Some stage comics had whole alphabets
like that.

---
	"Hay, be seedy!  He-effigy, hate-shy jaky yellow man, oh
	 peek, you are rusty, you've edible, you ex-wise he!"

					--Harry Mathews
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...!ihnp4!odyssey!gls

hdunne@amethyst.ma.arizona.edu (Hugh Dunne) (10/22/87)

In article <337@odyssey.ATT.COM> gls@odyssey.ATT.COM (g.l.sicherman) writes:
>Does anybody remember "B for mutton"?  Some stage comics had whole alphabets
>like that.

I heard an alphabet like this many years ago. All I can remember from it is
"'Ay for 'orses" and "G for police".

 - Hugh Dunne

"The banana welds itself to your hand!" -hack
Hugh Dunne	   | Internet: amethyst!hdunne@arizona.edu
Dept. of Math.     | UUCP: ..{cmcl2,ihnp4,seismo!noao}!arizona!amethyst!hdunne
Univ. of Arizona   | Bitnet: hdunne@arizrvax
Tucson, AZ  85721  | Phone: +1 602 621 6893  /  +1 602 621 4766

credmond@orchid.UUCP (10/27/87)

>>Does anybody remember "B for mutton"?  Some stage comics had whole alphabets
>>like that.
>I heard an alphabet like this many years ago. All I can remember from it is
>"'Ay for 'orses" and "G for police".

I can remember a few of the others:
A for 'orses
B for mutton