[comp.misc] What does nroff stand for ?

ken@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) (10/21/87)

> From: davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry)
>
> I've always wondered what the "n" [in nroff] was
> for though ("non-typesetter"?).

Probably "not".

--

From Ken Johnson			| Phone 031-225 4464 Ext 212
     AI Applications Institute		| Email ken@aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk

"Either you are what you eat, or you are what eats you." (Mister Bignose)

philip@axis.fr (Philip Peake) (10/26/87)

In article <180@aiva.ed.ac.uk>, ken@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) writes:
> > From: davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry)
> >
> > I've always wondered what the "n" [in nroff] was
> > for though ("non-typesetter"?).
>
> Probably "not".

Wrong. The history (like most other things about UNIX) was is explained
in at least one version of the manuals (probably pre-AT&T).

Once upon a time, there was a text formatting program running on DEC
system 10's called Run-off. This was re-written to make text processing
available on the early UNIX systems. It was called 'roff'.
Roff was nice, in that it was FAST. However, it didn't have macros.
So an new version was written New ROFF of nroff for short.
Later this was hacked to run a typesetter (Typesetter ROFF), and
hence troff.

You may have noticed that as [nt]roff and its macro packages have
increased in complexity they have become SLOW, this is why you find
(well, sometimes) a thing called sroff (Simple ROFF), deliverd with
system 5's. This seems to be basically roff, with a little bit of
macro handling.

So, once again, if you have any questions on unix commands,
remember the age old phrase 'RTFM'.

Philip

mikel@flmis06.att.com (Mikel Manitius) (10/28/87)

>From: davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry)
>
> I've always wondered what the "n" [in nroff] was
> for though ("non-typesetter"?).

A long time ago, print jobs were "run offs", hence "roff".

The 'n' in "nroff" is "Another ('nother) run off".

					Mikel Manitius @ AT&T
					mikel@codas.att.com

In article <180@aiva.ed.ac.uk>, ken@aiva.ed.ac.uk (Ken Johnson) writes:
> > From: davy@ea.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry)
> > I've always wondered what the "n" [in nroff] was
> > for though ("non-typesetter"?).
> Probably "not".

First there was runoff. When a version of this program was first implemented
on UNIX, it was called roff. Mainly because ASR33s aren't conducive to long
command names. I remember using roff, and I kinda wish it was still provided.
It was really easy to do simple documents, a lot faster than nroff/troff,
and available for non-UNIX systems (you can get it from the Software Tools
group in Fortran). NROFF stands for "New ROFF".
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.