[comp.misc] The truth about ITS & Multics & TSS.

lamaster@pioneer.UUCP (10/30/87)

In article <1720@geac.UUCP> daveb@geac.UUCP (Dave Collier-Brown) writes:

>  Some ITS people on the net! Spiffy!
>  Now that both systems are rare (and their discussion is unlikely
>to produce a full-fleged flame war), could we hear what ex-users of
>ITS and Multics thought were their beast and wirst points?  Er, best
>and worst points?
>
> David Collier-Brown.                 {mnetor|yetti|utgpu}!geac!daveb

I've noticed a few TSS people on the net too.  TSS was modeled on MULTICS
and had a very nice mix of features (and a few bugs), so, you might want
to include it in your discussion :-)

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP {topaz,lll-crg,ucbvax}!
  NASA Ames Research Center                ames!pioneer!lamaster
  Moffett Field, CA 94035    ARPA lamaster@ames-pioneer.arpa
  Phone:  (415)694-6117      ARPA lamaster@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

(Disclaimer: "All opinions solely the author's responsibility")

mrc@CAM.UNISYS.COM (Ken Leonard --> ken@oahu.mcl.unisys.com@sdcjove.cam.unisys.com) (11/05/87)

Am I alone here, not as a TSS person but as a person who was on the development
side of TSS and who benchmarked against MULTICS and ITS and UNIX and MVS?

I once "owned" a chunk of TSS VM services routines when I worked for Big Blue.

Who remembers "the Phantom", "Mad Mac", "IBFROGGY" (me), and "buffered out now"?

Let me hear from you!

ken@oahu.mcl.unisys.com@sdcjove.cam.unisys.com