[comp.misc] Sorting by date

swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) (11/06/87)

Re: Order of date components

The claim is made that dates are written (for computer display and input)
in an awkward sorting order (i.e. mm/dd/yy) because most people write them
that way and would not want to change.

Let's not be so parochial as to believe that "most" people are only American
people.  There are lots of other people out there who have different ideas
about how a date should be displayed.

In fact, there are so many opinions on the matter, isn't there an ISO standard
stating that the "correct" display format is 19XX MM DD?

---------------------
Steve Harrold			...hplabs!hpsmtc1!swh
				HPG200/13
				(408) 447-5580
---------------------

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/07/87)

In article <11630005@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
> ISO standard stating that the "correct" display format is 19XX MM DD?

	Boy, talk about built-in obsolescence!  What's going to happen in
another 12 years and 2 months?
455 First Avenue, New York, NYBUFSAAA

jay@ncspm.UUCP (11/09/87)

In article <3013@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>In article <11630005@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> swh@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (Steve Harrold) writes:
>> ISO standard stating that the "correct" display format is 19XX MM DD?
>
>	Boy, talk about built-in obsolescence!  What's going to happen in
>another 12 years and 2 months?

And what about in 112 years and three months when all those electronic
calendars decide that 2100 is a leap year?  I have yet to see one that
doesn't assume that leap years occur EVERY four years.  We're really
just lucky that the next NN00 year happens to be one in which the NN
is evenly divisible by four.  Yeah, I know, the e-calendars will all
be replaced by then 2100.

And what about in 8012 years when the five digit years start?  It's
never too early to plan for the future.

This reminds me of all the software written for addresses with
five-digit ZIP codes, and that tries to make two-letter abbreviations
out of names of countries.  I've seen computer-printed mail returned
to the university with addresses like:

Johann Deutsch
Bonn, WG 00000

Jay Smith                     uucp:     ...!mcnc!ncsuvx!ncspm!jay
Domain:	jay@ncspm.ncsu.edu    internet: jay%ncspm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/10/87)

In article <501@ncspm.ncsu.edu> jay@ncspm.UUCP (Jay Smith) writes:
> And what about in 112 years and three months when all those electronic
> calendars decide that 2100 is a leap year?  I have yet to see one that
> doesn't assume that leap years occur EVERY four years.

	Unix's "cal" command knows about the "if it's divisible by 4,
except if it's divisible by 100 but not by 400" rule.  Try "cal 2 2100" (or
"cal 9 1752" for trivia buffs).  I don't suppose those $2.99 LCD
clock/calendars are so sophisticated, however.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016