[comp.misc] 8 port serial card

neg@ucrmath.UUCP (Neil Gretsky) (11/11/87)

Does anyone in net-land have recommendations on 8-port serial cards
for use with Microport Unix/386. Why intelligent vs nion-intelligent?
Thanks in advance.
				Neil Gretsky
				Univ. of California, Riverside

				ucrmath!neg

steve@wolf.UUCP (Steven Harrison) (11/14/87)

In article <60@ucrmath.UUCP>, neg@ucrmath.UUCP (Neil Gretsky) writes:
> Does anyone in net-land have recommendations on 8-port serial cards
> for use with Microport Unix/386. Why intelligent vs nion-intelligent?
> Thanks in advance.
> 				Neil Gretsky

Neil,

We use the intelligent card from Computone in Atlanta, GA.  Their support
has been wonderful even while they went through a reorganization!  I have
talked with Sharon many times and she always seems to have the answers
on the tip of her tongue ready to answer before I am finished with the
question!

Intelligent cards can buffer the input from the ports before generating the
interrupt.  This is seen as an amazing increase in throughput on the
machine in question.  In a way it looks a lot like the Intel 310 with
intelligent front end processors for serial I/O.

Last and none to helpful part is that I don't know if they support Microport
at all.  We tried their version and I gave up on Microport.

--
Steven Harrison    Systems'n'Software    San Diego, California

UUCP: ihnp4!jack!wolf!steve
ARPA: jack!wolf!steve@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

mike@cimcor.UUCP (Michael Grenier) (11/15/87)

In article <554@wolf.UUCP>, steve@wolf.UUCP (Steven Harrison) writes:
> In article <60@ucrmath.UUCP>, neg@ucrmath.UUCP (Neil Gretsky) writes:
> > Does anyone in net-land have recommendations on 8-port serial cards
> > for use with Microport Unix/386. Why intelligent vs nion-intelligent?
> > Thanks in advance.
> > 				Neil Gretsky

Neil,
   You can try the Inteligent Controller Card from Bell Technolgies
(1-800-for-unix) which I've been using under uPort 286. It seems
to work great for offloading the interrupt requests from the CPU.
This card and the one from Digiboard have fast CPUs on board with
enough memory to buffer the character streams at speeds up to
one megabit per second. As I understand the driver, it actually
polls the board every so often for information (still many times
a second) and if info is available the card transfers the data
via DMA. Even at 60 times a second, thats still only one interrupt
every 16 milliseconds versus 125 Microseconds for 8 channels
each receiving data at 9600 baud. The actual transfer then takes place
as fast as the memory/bus allow. There is an excellent description of
this approach (as well as decriptions of UNIX under the 286 and 386) in
a new book, part of the Waite Group I believe, called the UNIX papers.
Its in most book stores.
    -Mike
Both boards should work under Microport 386.

    {ihnp4, amdahl, rutgers}!meccts!cimcor!mike