[comp.misc] Commas

karl@haddock.ISC.COM (Karl Heuer) (11/05/87)

This isn't a C issue.  I am redirecting to comp.misc.

In article <10138@brl-adm.ARPA> fbaube@note.nsf.GOV (Fred Baube) writes:
>I have the new US Snooze & World Distort, and on p.66 is an IBM ad about
>voice recognition.  The screen show "Testing one, two, three", complete with
>commas!  Does anyone know how they do that?

The most likely scenario is that they have somebody type the string, complete
with commas, at a keyboard.  Or (slightly less deceptive) they have carefully
arranged their demo so that that particular situation appears as shown,
without handling the (impossible) general case.

Evidence to the contrary, anyone?

stuart@bms-at.UUCP (Stuart D. Gathman) (11/18/87)

Your second guess is almost true.  IBM's voice recognition
technique is statistical.  The machine has a large database of
phoneme/timing distributions.  Thus, the text is reproduced
with punctuation!  Unlike AI approaches, the text is not actually
"understood" by the machine.  It is simply output to match statistically
similar utterrances used to build their database.  The results are
not 100% correct, of course.  But you can bet that it gets the example
in the ad right every time!

I do not work for IBM.  I personally think that a neural network
approach is the way to go.  (Similar in concept, but vastly different
in implementation from the statistical route.)
--
Stuart D. Gathman	<stuart@bms-at.uucp>
			<..!{vrdxhq|dgis}!bms-at!stuart>