[comp.misc] Home Automation Interest?

rickb@bucket.UUCP (Rick Bensene) (01/14/88)

I've noted a bit of discussion here and there regarding the
X-10 system for remote control of lights and appliances,
discussion of various infrared remote control boxes, as
well as occasional mention of other home automation subjects.
I have a keen interest in such topics, and am wondering if
there are many others out there with an interest in this topic?
The volume discussed thus far doesn't really seem to justify a newsgroup,
however, maybe if such a place existed people would get into
discussions and get the thing off the ground.  I do not know
the proper procedure to propose a new newsgroup, so maybe
people could just begin discussing it in comp.misc or
sci.electronics  (<<<PLEASE>>> If you followup to this
article - post your message to one or the other of the newsgroups,
not BOTH!), and if it really got rolling, we could campaign
to get a new newsgroup created.  Another possibility would be
a mailing list, which I'd be GLAD to head up, if someone would
take the time to explain to me how to set up a such a list.

It seems to me that it is simply a matter of time before home automation
becomes fairly commonplace - the price of the technology to implement
an intelligent home has come down drastically, and it is expected to continue
this trend.  So far, the home automation industry is in its fledgeling
state - with a few larger leaders, and a lot of smaller companies
all in the fray.  The big problem is that everyon has their own idea of
how the system(s) should work, and thus different systems are incompatible.
Also, no one seems to have effectively INTEGRATED many of the systems
together, combining security, environmental, communications, lighting,
appliance control, signal distribution, and communications into a complete
system.  There's work underway by some association of home builders to
come up with a 'home bus', serving as a bus over which audio, video, and
data can flow throughout a home - using wiring not much more complex
than wiring in today's houses.  This seems to me to be a pretty exciting
idea, however progress has been slow because of the many differing opinions
on how it should be done.  However, even though there are yet no 'standards',
many hardware/software tinkerers have implemented their own systems at home.
From simple X-10 only systems, to more sophisticated systems using dedicated
computers, lots of wire strung in the walls, and really fancy software.
I've got a lot of ideas regarding home automation, and have implemented
that which I can afford (and my wife will tolerate) in my own home, and
have learned a lot, and had a lot of fun in the process.  I'd like to hear
from others out there as to their experiences, viewpoints, and general
ideas with regards to home automation.

Regards,

Rick Bensene
--
Rick Bensene        Tektronix, Inc.  PO Box 500 39-124     Beaverton, OR  97077
..tektronix!tekig4!rickb (work)          Voice: (503) 627-3559 (10A-5P Pacific)

max@trinity.uucp (Max Hauser) (01/15/88)

Please forgive me for cross-posting, which I have done deliberately,
as I think this is germane to both groups.

In article <676@bucket.UUCP> rickb@bucket.UUCP (Rick Bensene) writes:

>I've noted a bit of discussion here and there regarding the
>X-10 system for remote control of lights and appliances, ... as
>well as occasional mention of other home automation subjects.
>I have a keen interest in such topics, and am wondering if
>there are many others out there with an interest in this topic?
>The volume discussed thus far doesn't really seem to justify a newsgroup,
>however, maybe if such a place existed ...

I agree that this is an interesting and expanding topic.
However I not only resist but must actively protest the sensibility,
increasingly widespread on the net, that finds it perfectly
reasonable to propose a new group simply because a new and
interesting topic arises. Neither is this an established
sufficient justification for a new group, nor is it necessary to
sustain a lively discussion on the topic. In particular,
sci.electronics is a lightly-trafficked group and could certainly
sustain the discussion for the indefinite future, during which
incidentally we would find out whether or not the topic actually,
as well as potentially, thrives. Moreover I imagine that many
peripherally interested readers could be exposed to the topic
automatically, while it remains in broader-interest groups.

I am convinced that Rick has the best possible intentions here
and I hope he understands that I appreciate them and mean him no
ill will. Unfortunately the incidence of proposing new groups,
many incidentally by relatively new readers, is reaching a frenzy,
and most of it is inappropriate. Even were sci.electronics crowded
and people there protesting the postings about remote control
(which is hardly the case!), this would still not be sufficient
justification per se for starting a new group.

>...  I do not know
>the proper procedure to propose a new newsgroup, so maybe
>people could just begin discussing it in comp.misc or
>sci.electronics  ...

Proper procedure includes discussing whether a new group is really
necessary, before "we" enthusiasts of the new topic simply take
for granted that it would be a good idea.  Amid Rick's enthusiasm
for a newsgroup or mailing list, by virtue of the topic's
merit and timeliness, I still can find none of the other necessary
justification: why the existing groups are NOT adequate.

Now on to the purely technical discussion:

>... There's work underway by some association of home builders to
>come up with a 'home bus', serving as a bus over which audio, video, and
>data can flow throughout a home - using wiring not much more complex
>than wiring in today's houses.  This seems to me to be a pretty exciting
>idea, however progress has been slow because of the many differing opinions
>on how it should be done.  However, even though there are yet no 'standards',
>many hardware/software tinkerers have implemented their own ...

I wonder about the NV Philips "DDB" (Domestic Data Bus), a standard that
has existed for years; and even the Integrated Services Digital Network
(which seems to fill half the professional telecom magazines these
days). I am not familiar with these big-time domestic communications
standards but it seems to me they could be relevant. Anyone
knowledgeable care to comment?

Max Hauser / max@eros.berkeley.edu / ...{!decvax}!ucbvax!eros!max

UC Berkeley EECS Department

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (01/17/88)

In <676@bucket.UUCP> rickb@bucket.UUCP (Rick Bensene) writes:
>I've noted a bit of discussion here and there regarding the
>X-10 system for remote control of lights and appliances,
>discussion of various infrared remote control boxes, as
>well as occasional mention of other home automation subjects.
>I have a keen interest in such topics, and am wondering if
>there are many others out there with an interest in this topic?

This sounds great.  If you set up a mailing list, please put me on it.

I vote YES for a newsgroup.

--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (01/20/88)

I vote that no group be created for home automation.  I feel that there
is enough available bandwidth in both the sci.electronics and comp.misc
groups (the most likely places for such postings) to handle the traffic.

Also, don't forget comp.risks!  As home automation becomes more popular,
expect to see lots of articles describing (possible) mistakes and draw-
backs.

                                                                 Phil Kos
...!decvax!decuac!\                                   Information Systems
  ...!uunet!mimsy!aplcen!osiris!phil           The Johns Hopkins Hospital
...!allegra!/                                               Baltimore, MD