[comp.misc] Looking fo a Grade II Braile convertor

terry@calgary.UUCP (Terry Heintz) (01/21/88)

We have a braille printer that just prints each character
as it sees it. Our blind computer science students are thinking
writing a Grade 2 convertor so as to cut down on paper and have
easier output that is easier to read.

Question:
	Does anyone know if this has been done. If so where
	can we find it.  What we would like it is the source,
	but if binaries are only available then it would be a start.
	This must run on a Vax running 4.3BSD or a Sun running 3.2 SunOS.

	There must be some other peple out there that has blind students
	in need of such a beast, but I have never seen such a product for
	Unix machines.

 I do not read all these sections all the time so I would appreciate if
 you would mail me directly.  I will repost any answers that are positive
 back to the net.  Thanks in advance

	Terry Heintz
	Compute Science Dept.
	University of Calgary
	Calgary Alberta

	UUCP:  calgary!terry

	  you can get to calgary thru
	     1. ihnp4!alberta
	     2. seismo!ubc-vision!alberta
	     3. utai

===============

dan@rna.UUCP (Dan Ts'o) (01/26/88)

In article <1300@vaxb.calgary.UUCP> terry@calgary.UUCP (Terry Heintz) writes:
>We have a braille printer that just prints each character
>as it sees it. Our blind computer science students are thinking
>writing a Grade 2 convertor so as to cut down on paper and have
>easier output that is easier to read.

	It is not an easy thing to write, but I have written one. To avoid
commercials, you may email me for more details.

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o
				Dept. Neurobiology	212-570-7671
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan