[comp.misc] Motorola policy

joels@tekred.TEK.COM (Joel Swank) (02/10/88)

In article <1029@edge.UUCP>, doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
[speaking of Motorola policy in 1980]

> Motorola makes the 68000, but by company policy they won't sell them for
> use in home computers.

This is hard to believe! Not to mention STUPID policy, dictating the
possible end use of a product. It's like GM having a policy that says
they won't sell a truck to anyone who wants to haul rocks. How would
they enforce it anyway? I'd think that anyone but the most
arrogant would be eager to sell their product to IBM.

Joel Swank
Tektronix, Redmond, Oregon
joels@tekred.TEK.COM

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (02/10/88)

In article <1029@edge.UUCP>, doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
> [speaking of Motorola policy in 1980]
> Motorola makes the 68000, but by company policy they won't sell them for
> use in home computers.

	Isn't that restraint of trade, and thus illegal?  Aren't you
required by (US) law to give the same deal to all your customers, i.e. if
you will sell 68000's to XYZ Computer Company for $N each, in 1000 piece
lots, you must also sell them to anybody else with the same conditions,
regardless of what they plan on doing with them?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

friedman@porthos.rutgers.edu (Gadi ) (02/11/88)

In article <3138@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:

> 	Isn't that restraint of trade, and thus illegal?  Aren't you
> required by (US) law to give the same deal to all your customers, i.e. if
> you will sell 68000's to XYZ Computer Company for $N each, in 1000 piece
> lots, you must also sell them to anybody else with the same conditions,
> regardless of what they plan on doing with them?
> --
> Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy

I remember a case where K-Mart sued Izod because Izod would not
sell to discount stores.  If I remember correctly, K-Mart lost.

                           Gadi
--

uucp:   {ames, cbosgd, harvard, moss}!rutgers!aramis.rutgers.edu!friedman
arpa:   FRIEDMAN@ARAMIS.RUTGERS.EDU

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (02/12/88)

>> [speaking of Motorola policy in 1980]
>> Motorola makes the 68000, but by company policy they won't sell them for
>> use in home computers.

> 	Isn't that restraint of trade, and thus illegal?

I think it's more targeting.  You have to sell them pretty much the same
to all customers, varying the price by volumes more than anything.

But you get to set the price, if you're Motorola.  So you offer 68000s at
$100 each, and they won't end up in many $500 home computers, but $20,000
workstations won't mind, if there's nothing better in the same range.  Offer
them for $5 each and they'll very likely wind up in $500 home computers.

Since they ARE in fact winding up in $500 home computers, I guess you can
draw your conclusions about what Motorola is selling them for.  Of course,
the competition with others (dunno what Intel sells 8086s or 80286s for
these days) is another factor; they may not necessarily WANT to sell them
for $5 each, but they do want to sell them, and I don't think anyone would
pay $100 for a 68000 these days; that's 68020 terratory.

> Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy
> System Administrator, Public Health Research Institute
> 455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) (02/15/88)

In article <3138@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>In article <1029@edge.UUCP>, doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>> [speaking of Motorola policy in 1980]
>> Motorola makes the 68000, but by company policy they won't sell them for
>> use in home computers.
>
>	Isn't that restraint of trade, and thus illegal?  Aren't you
>required by (US) law to give the same deal to all your customers, i.e. if
>you will sell 68000's to XYZ Computer Company for $N each, in 1000 piece
>lots, you must also sell them to anybody else with the same conditions,
>regardless of what they plan on doing with them?
>--
>Roy Smith, {allegra,cmcl2,philabs}!phri!roy
>System Administrator, Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

	Yes, that would be restraint of trade of trade *if Motorla had such
	a policy*.  As far as I know Motorola has never had a policy even
	remotely like that suggested.  In fact, since the beginning of the
	68000 program, Mot has courted any and *all* customers.  How do you
	thing the 68000 got into the Amiga, the Atari, and the Macintosh?

	The 68000 didn't end up in the IBM pc, much as we would have liked
	to have had it, because, as someone correctly pointed out: it wasnt
	available in the time frame that IBM needed and they thought that the
	6809 didnt have enough performance.

--
Motorola Semiconductor Inc.                Hunter Scales
Austin, Texas           {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!hunter

jejones@mcrware.UUCP (James Jones) (02/18/88)

In article <1094@oakhill.UUCP>, hunter@oakhill.UUCP (Hunter Scales) writes:

> 	The 68000 didn't end up in the IBM pc, much as we would have liked
> 	to have had it, because, as someone correctly pointed out: it wasnt
> 	available in the time frame that IBM needed and they thought that the
> 	6809 didnt have enough performance.

That would be particularly amusing, if it weren't sad, in view of the
performance of the 6809 relative to the 8088 they did use.  Arf.

[I speak only for myself, and several butchers' aprons.]

		James Jones