[comp.misc] Symbolic links to cross-posted articles

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (02/19/88)

In article <3379@killer.UUCP> jfh@killer.UUCP (The Beach Bum) writes:
>In article <23012@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>>Netnews uses UNIX "hard" links to link the multiple instantiations
>>of a news article into the multiple newsgroup directories. Netnews
>>is most certainly NOT making N copies of an article for appearance
>>in N newsgroups, except on VMS systems, under Eunice (but then,
>>they deserve to lose).
>
>There was an interesting mis-feature in VMS prior to version 3.0 which
>allowed (and may still allow) creating something like hard links by
>judicious use of COPY/OVERLAY and a few other simple commands to create
>a fake directory (which was then copied onto the real directory).

Hard links can be created on VMS just as on Unix by manipulating
directory entries directly.  I considered doing this when I did the
Eunice news code, but it's very risky; you might end up with
a corrupted disk or one that's full of unreachable files.

VMS has a "remove" call that deletes a directory entry (possibly
leaving an unreachable file) as well as a "delete" call that removes
both a file and a directory entry (possibly leaving other directory
entries pointing off into space).  But there is nothing that counts
the number of names a file has, so the Unix behavior (file disappears
when the last link is gone) is difficult to emulate).

Check out SET FILE/ENTER and SET FILE/REMOVE.  Carefully!

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,sun,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
	    Old Internet mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net