[comp.misc] PC Mags

cjdb@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (02/15/88)

In article <129@ghostwheel.UUCP> ned@ghostwheel.aca.mcc.com.UUCP (Ned Nowotny) writes:
>[...]
>I was developing a few doubts about DDJ before this, but now I am really
>concerned.  Coupled with the recent changes at Byte, I'm afraid that the
>future of the computer-related popular press is MacWorld and a bevy of clones.

A magazine I stumbled upon which I just subscribed to is Micro
Cornucopia. It's eclectic, technically oriented, and doesn't assume
you're some sort of guru (though it does assume you're technically
oriented and want to know/do more). Good style, too. (Refreshing.)

I mention it here because I'd never heard of it before, and I think
it's worth checking out.

--
Bitnet:	  	 lib.cb@uchicago.bitnet
Internet:      lib.cb@chip.uchicago.edu

justin@inmet.UUCP (02/25/88)

/* Written 10:43 pm  Feb 16, 1988 by wtm@neoucom.UUCP in inmet:comp.misc */
Yes, I do remember.  CP/M-86 would run on 8088s.  In Wordstar, one
only need change one byte in the PSP to get the CP/M-86 version of
ws3.2 to run under MS-DOS 1.0.  It's been about four years, so I
forget exactly what it was that one changed.  I suppose if you get
a copy of the book "Underground Wordstar" it has the patch listed.
We did this on a DEC Rainbow.

--Bill
/* End of text from inmet:comp.misc */

Excuse me, we seem to have serious confusion here. As I recall, the original
poster said that one only need change one byte from the *CP/M* version to
get the MS-DOS version. If he meant CP/M-*86*, then he should have said so.
That was, I assume, what the comment about different opcodes was referring
to.
(Some of us remember when plain old CP/M was the only real operating system
for micros, and don't automatically assume that it refers to CP/M-86).

						-- Justin du Coeur