[comp.misc] Doom and Gloom, Reply to Andrew Burt

jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) (02/11/88)

>From: aburt@isis.UUCP (Andrew Burt)
> You have still failed to back up your "off-the-cuff estimates.  Given that
> your original posting assumed 200 million Americans when in fact the figure,
> as I pointed out before, is 240 million, I am hardly willing to believe your
> back-of-the-envelope numbers unless you explain what they are -- in *detail*.

	IF there were black & white market size numbers it would be easy to
give you the PROOF you think you need. Unfortunately I haven't seen any
numbers which are specficly labeled "the offical PC 1988 market size". Lacking
such I BOLDLY used the following estimate DETAILED in my first posting:

	"Consider the US has a total population of about 200 million
	people, of which, less than 60 million are working adults who may have
	some exposure to using a computer in the work place ... many of those
	access a mainframe with a terminal. Maybe 1 in 3 (about 20 million)
	actually has or needs access to a PC (on their desk or shared use).

	"The real number is probably much smaller -- look around you for the
	next week and take your own sample of how many people in the general
	population have/need access to a PC for any reason."

	The art of estimating is a skill that used to be taught to all using a
slide rule. THINK about what the above MEANS --- DO A LITTLE CRITICAL thinking.
The above estimate of one PC for 10 people (20 million PC's for 200 million
people) is not outragously large (or small) ... to claim the number is either
as little as 1 in 5 or as large as 1 in 20 WOULD take some justification!
The 20% error in US population size estimate is in the noise given the other
error probabilities!

	In sampling my aquaintances I get a number of something larger than
1 in 15 ... that may be an quirk of this local. I can not in my wildest dreams
believe a number in 1988/89 of 1 in 5 or roughly 40 million units (or 48 million
units by the revised estimate of population size). After subtracting out
youth under 15, unemployed, housewives, and retired folks that would make
the ratio in the working class about 1 in 3 ... totally absurd!

	Try the following: pick numbers, at RANDOM in the phone book until
20 people answer the following survey -- Ask them "do you CURRENTLY use
a personal computer or have need to use a personal computer on a DAILY basis?".
Factor the result to market size .... post your finding to the net.

> Ok, let's make some small changes in your numbers (within the error range
> for your numbers?  I dunno, don't know anything about your numbers!)
>
> So assume a 25 million unit market, 3 year useful life, and current
> shipment of .8 million units/month current shipping, then we are talking about
> a drop from (.8 M/mon * 12 mon) 9.6 million units/year now to a replacement
> market alone of (25M/3) 8.3 million, a decline of only 13.5%.

	Great ... lets look at the numbers .... a 3 year useful life
means the product is discarded as scrap at the end of 3 years. THIS IS
not happening like it did with the first generation Z80 systems!!! Most
of the early (1981/82/83) IBM PC's and early clones are still in use with
minor upgrades like add-on memory and a hard card. The cost of repair or
replacement for motherboards and drives is a minor operating cost at the
current time. The life of the electronics is 10 years plus.

	The current PC boom is largely driven (80% or more systems) as
typewriter replacements. In any case the current MS/PC DOS 8088 systems will
run Word Perfect keeping a typist happy for atleast another 4 years. This
will make the average life atleast 5 years even if the machine is scrapped.

	The used PC market is becoming a significant factor in attracting new
users/owners as the original owners move up to 286/386 machines and
applications.  I expect the real useful life number to be between 5 and 10 yrs.
depending on where the industry goes in the next 5 years.

	This is VERY LIKE the automotive industry where current stats
show the median life of a car at about 10 years. A new car is obsolete
for the jet set in a year (new model comes out), first-owners keep a
new car an average of about 3 years, a typical car has 3 or 4 owners in
it's lifetime. A typical person buys ONE new car in their lifetime. A typical
new drivers first car is a USED car.

So assume a 25 million unit market, 5 year useful life, and current
shipment of .8 million units/month current shipping, then we are talking about
a drop from (.8 M/mon * 12 mon) 9.6 million units/year now to a replacement
market alone of (25M/5) 5.0 million, a decline of about 50%.

The .8 M/mon number is too low in reality since IBM is shipping about
0.25 M/mon and Apple/Atari/Comadore about 0.25 M/mon combined. There seem
to be ATLEAST 3 clones (AT&T, Compaq, Tandy, SONY, and imports) for every real
IBM box. This makes the number about .25 + .25 + .75 = 1.25 M/mon or 15 M/yr.
This would make the decline about 67%.

> Surely there
> will be SOME market for first time buyers.  I seriously doubt that the
> roughly 110 million households in the US all have computers; some will not
> want them, but who's to say?  My personal experiences indicate even lower
> income households purchase VCRs for example.  What's to say PCs won't suddenly
> interest them this way?

	Sure some will ... that is where I expect cheap used systems to go.
Consider that VCR's staturated in the market at 37% of US households last
Oct/Nov after 5 years of strong sales (made possible by the video rentals).
This is a $225 item that has strong appeal to middle/lower class households
with children where the cost of going out to the movies is $30 for the nite.
A good return on the investment, even as an alternative to cable.

	As of 1988 a PC hasn't a fraction of the utility of a VCR for
most households ... maybe some compelling application/software will be
developed in the next few years which will drive a stronger home market.
A PC with printer and hard drive (usable configuration) is also about
four times the cost of a VCR. I don't expect 1 in 3 households to have
a PC anytime in the next few years.

> The more powerful the machines become the more
> markets they open up.  Who'd of thought of the publishing market for PCs
> when Apple II's and TRS-80 model I's were the state of the art in micros,
> for example?  And this clearly ignores the business markets -- new businesses
> start, old businesses find new uses for PCs.

	Sure things will continue to get better -- but how fast and how
compelling will the upgrade/replacement cost be for the installed base of
PC's? We are finally at a point where computers will start getting more
expensive (after the initial market crash shock) since volumes will get lower
and technology cost improvements are slowing down.

(graph in posting # 2)
> I have several problems with this graph... (a) it lacks units on the
> Y axis; (b) it lacks sources for the data; (c) are you trying to say that
> "#" (number new sales) will be ***0*** by 1991???

	The graph was an off-the-cuff guesstimate specifically labeled
"not to scale" to help people put the "dizzying growth and pell-mell embracing
of PC technology"(from Larry Cambell's posting) in perspective with the
effect of an adjustment to market equilibrium and a brief resurgence in
the market as the first replacement wave hits. If you read the labels you
would note that "#" IS NOT "(number new sales)" BUT RATHER "first time buyer
sales" of new systems which I expect to go very close to zero. Most of the
"new sales" will be replacement systems for previous owners/users of a PC.

> >	1) the crash in 1982 took the analysts/industry COMPLETELY off guard.
> >	(no one did accurate market size projections - myself included!!)
>
> So why are your numbers suddenly more accurate this time???

	I didn't have any the first time - nobody I am aware of did!!
Of course, some of us learn from our mistakes .... the rest of you
shouldn't have to repeat them ....

> >	2) Companies only buy analyst reports that project a rose colored
> >	view of the industry for their prospective investors and bankers.
>
> Any well run company is not going to want rose-colored projections.  Maybe
> the companies you've worked with have only wanted the good news, but only
> a fool would plan this way; and a company with billion$ in sales such
> as IBM is not run by fools.  We may disagree with them, but they aren't
> stupid.

	Pretty strong statement ... but I guess mine was too ...
the world is not perfect ... sometimes people only buy what they THINK
they want to hear ... or are only given what someone else THINKS they
should/want to hear ....

> In general, I think you lack sufficient data to make so bold a claim.
> While I am no marketing whiz, my understanding of demand curves is that
> they tend to slowly reach a peak, then decline slowly, except with fads,
> which peak and decline rapidly.  I seriously doubt PCs are fads.

	I did not lack sufficient data to make the claim IT IS CLEAR
to the experienced eye!

	You should study demand curves for the introduction of
mass market products more carefully ... and see the errors in your
analysis. PC's are not a fad ... just the right product, at the right cost,
at the right time ... Just as VCR's and other trendy/fad high tech
product introductions.

> You are also ignoring the effect a drop in unit price has on demand.
> Your market of "20 million" may grow to "30 million" if the price for the
> same functionality drops 25% (hypothetical numbers).  Your figures ignore this.

	If transit busses were dropped to $500 ea I doubt they would
replace cars ... they are too expensive to maintain and cost to much in
fuel to operate. Cats are virtually free, not every household has one. Old
newspapers could be worth money ... yet people dump them in the trash
every day. Schools turn down donations of IBM 360/50's because they are
to expensive to operate and maintain.

	Even PC's require a need to aquire, otherwise they become just
so much clutter among one's personal effects. The day that a personal
computer was a valuable property is past, or very nearly so.

	In 1968 I would have given anything for an electronic calculator
with a single "memory". Today I have a box of them that haven't been used
in 5 years -- for good reason. In 1972 I would have given anything for
a computer that would run basic ... today you can get a sinclar for free
(or less than $5) at a garage sale -- who cares any more for a basic
computer???.

	The production costs of computers are starting to reach bottom.
The false econmomy of falling prices in this industry may revert to
normal ... IE everything goes up by inflation each year ... certainly
TV's, radios, and other electronics have started to. A sharp reduction
in volume will affect this some. The Yen probably more ...

	I look at the market size in terms of need/want .... not cost ...
If computers were free few people would have ten.

> Again, I ask -- no, challenge! -- you to document your data and the algorithms
> used in arriving at your figures.
> If you want anyone to believe you then you must justify your assertions.
> Otherwise why bother to post at all?  Just for attention?

	I did the first time ... you were just too busy cutting at what
you didn't want to hear to think critically about the statements made ...

> I suspect you're ignoring many factors, but I won't even listen to your
> claims until you give me some reason to.

	There are hundreds of factors I CHOOSE TO IGNORE ... they don't
significantly affect the outcome, but do significantly affect the error
probablility of the results --- and the ability to grasp the basics
of the problem .... heck you couldn't even see the obvious in the
population/market size estimates ..... why should I clutter up the problem
even more????

Have fun ...
John Bass
DMS Design

steve@crcmar.crc.uucp (Steve Ardron) (02/18/88)

in article <1222@polyslo.UUCP>, jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) says:

> 	IF there were black & white market size numbers it would be easy to
> give you the PROOF you think you need. Unfortunately I haven't seen any
> numbers which are specficly labeled "the offical PC 1988 market size". Lacking
> such I BOLDLY used the following estimate DETAILED in my first posting:
>
> 	"The real number is probably much smaller -- look around you for the
> 	next week and take your own sample of how many people in the general
> 	population have/need access to a PC for any reason."
>
> The above estimate of one PC for 10 people (20 million PC's for 200 million
> people) is not outragously large (or small) ... to claim the number is either
> as little as 1 in 5 or as large as 1 in 20 WOULD take some justification!
> The 20% error in US population size estimate is in the noise given the other
> error probabilities!
>
> 	In sampling my aquaintances I get a number of something larger than
> 1 in 15 ... that may be an quirk of this local. I can not in my wildest dreams
> believe a number in 1988/89 of 1 in 5 or roughly 40 million units (or 48 million
> units by the revised estimate of population size). After subtracting out
> youth under 15, unemployed, housewives, and retired folks that would make
> the ratio in the working class about 1 in 3 ... totally absurd!
>
> 	As of 1988 a PC hasn't a fraction of the utility of a VCR for
> most households ... maybe some compelling application/software will be
> developed in the next few years which will drive a stronger home market.
> A PC with printer and hard drive (usable configuration) is also about
> four times the cost of a VCR. I don't expect 1 in 3 households to have
> a PC anytime in the next few years.

  I also have a few problems with your projections. When I lived in the States,
almost 100% of households that I knew had Home computers! Many, almost half,
had more than one! As computers become more prominent, most middle class
families buy >one computer for their children at school, many universities
require students to buy their own computers, and many households don't
resell their computers, they just get stuffed in a closet.

  You were also argueing against yourself later in your article, as you said
that a change in price wouldn't affect the total demand, yet later you said
that more people would buy a VCR than a PC because a PC system was 4X the
cost.

  You also based almost all your arguements on using PCs as typewriters, an
invalid assumption if I ever heard one. Many people use their machines for
games at home, and many small businesses and not a few households use them
(or will use them) for database applications, an application that is very
dependant on the machine for how well it will run. With these applications
in mind, a printer isn't needed, and not even a hard drive is required,
bringing the price of the PC down to the level of a VCR. This is still
rapidly falling with no sign of letting up.

  As was said by others, and I don't feel adequetly rebutted by you, there
are still many other uses for PCs showing up. Many of these aren't brand
new, and have allready completed much of their integration. Such things
as computer shopping and banking have great potential for expanding the
PC market when a PC and modem costs only a few hundred, along with
the previously mentioned heating and light control, aswell as games,
typing and databases that are allready there. I'd say these things
made a PC a hell of alot more useful than a VCR that is only for
entertainment.

					Stevie.

P.S. please excuse the many typos and bad grammer, since I was in a hurry.

erict@flatline.UUCP (eric townsend) (02/19/88)

In article <1222@polyslo.UUCP>, jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) writes:

> 	In sampling my aquaintances I get a number of something larger than
> 1 in 15 ... that may be an quirk of this local. I can not in my wildest dreams

I would imagine this is a quirk.  The only even semi-valid use or your
sample would be in making statements about the sample itself.  There
is really no predictive value in your sample.  It sounds nit-picky,
but it's rather important not to make hasty assumptions...

> 	Try the following: pick numbers, at RANDOM in the phone book until
> 20 people answer the following survey -- Ask them "do you CURRENTLY use
> a personal computer or have need to use a personal computer on a DAILY basis?"

This is better, but still not really valid each person in America does not
have an equal chance of being chosen for the sample.  A test of this
sort using a list of names from the Census would be a little better...
A phone book is better than "asking the guys at work", but still not perfect.

> 	This is VERY LIKE the automotive industry where current stats
> show the median life of a car at about 10 years. A new car is obsolete
> for the jet set in a year (new model comes out), first-owners keep a
> new car an average of about 3 years, a typical car has 3 or 4 owners in
> it's lifetime. A typical person buys ONE new car in their lifetime. A typical
> new drivers first car is a USED car.

I think this is very valid with computers... I owned a C= 64, one of the
first few thousand sold in America (how many of us payed $600+ for a C64?).
Now I use a rather used 3b1.  The C64 lasted me at least 7 or 8 years, I
expect I'll use the 3b1 for 10 or 15..  If I don't sell it to someone else.

As for how many households have computers, I would suggest to you the
_Statistical_Abstract_of_the_United_States_ for the most recent year
that they surveyed for computer ownership.

--
Just say NO to skate harassment. | Just another journalist with too much
If I wish really hard, will IBM go away forever?        | computing power..

roger_warren_tang@cup.portal.com (02/26/88)

"After subtracting out the under 15s, homemakers..etc"

  Flare lit tip off that Mr. Bass doesn't klnow what he's talking about.
The civilian labor force ALREADY excludes these figures and is far above
the paltry figure he posits.