[comp.misc] The New Chips

palarson@watdragon.waterloo.edu (Paul Larson) (01/22/88)

I'm having some trouble cutting through al the hype surrounding the Intel
80386 and the Motorola 68020.  Conflicting claims are flying back and
forth like hornets.  Could someone tell me how these two chips differ,
and what, if aything, one can do better than the other?
IBM is sticking with the Intel line, so the 80386 will probalbly be more
than the 68020.
Disclaimer: I am not trying to start a my-computer-can-beat-your-computer
war.  Please e-mail any resonses, I'll summarize is nececessary.

	Johan Larson

sipples@husc2.UUCP (sipples) (01/24/88)

>IBM is sticking with the Intel line, so the 80386 will probalbly be more
>than the 68020.

Whoa!  Not to diminish IBM's proven wisdom :-), but other manufacturers think
very differently.  Ever heard of Apple?  Sun?  Not to mention the brains
behind Postscript laser printers, including, I believe, IBM's.  Also keep in
mind the Atart ST/Mega series and the Commodore Amiga 500/1000/2000.  Would
it make much sense, anyway, for IBM to abandon a large installed base of
80xx(x) machines, even if a better chip comes along?

Anyway, the Motorola 68030 is now state-of-the-art, with the 68040 announced.
If you are inquiring about benchmark results, I don't know of any direct com-
parisons between the 68030 and the 80386.  However, according to Byte and
other sources, the Motorola family now outpaces the Intel family in most tests.
The microprocessor wars continue, however, with Intel supposedly working on
an 80486.  [Caveat: benchmarks are sometimes misleading.]

Instruction sets: the 68xxx is a little more RISC-like than the 80xx(x);
I've heard arguments on both sides over which is superior.

Support chips: the 68xxx's math coprocessors apparently handle transcendentals
better than the 80xx(x)'s counterparts.  Apple's move in making the math
coprocessor standard on the Macintosh II will provide developers with a nice
incentive to take advantage of the extra mathematical capabilities.

Timothy Sipples  |  sipples%husc2@husc6.harvard.edu

tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) (01/25/88)

>IBM is sticking with the Intel line, so the 80386 will (probably be
>better) than the 68020.

IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.  Considering that they
owned the company, and the 802xx stuff was coming out around then, you
think they would have looked at the specs and built the PC to move in
a forward direction.  Instead they just pushed a machine out the door,
sold 15 million of them, and forced everyone into many and several revisions
(perhaps for the money in it).  Deadbeats.  There's little reason to expect
better of them now, I should think.  Anyway, what would motivate them to
move away from Intel at this point?  They're not adverse to selling junk,
based not on inherent quality but how well it will be supported.  They
made deadbeat decisions long ago, and at IBM, history sticks around for a
LONG time.

alan@pdn.UUCP (Alan Lovejoy) (01/26/88)

In article <1430@husc2.UUCP> sipples@husc2.UUCP (Timothy Sipples) writes:
>>IBM is sticking with the Intel line, so the 80386 will probalbly be more
>>than the 68020.
>
>Whoa!  Not to diminish IBM's proven wisdom :-), but other manufacturers think
>very differently.  Ever heard of Apple?  Sun?  Not to mention the brains
>behind Postscript laser printers, including, I believe, IBM's.  Also keep in

IBM also uses a modified 680x0 (I forget which) and a stock 680x0
together in the AT/370 to emulate the S/370 instruction set.

And in the infamous RT, the 68881 FPU is the standard floating point
co-processor.

IBM's GX graphics accelerator is based on multiple 68020's.

The 68020 outsold the 80386 in 1984 (the '386 didn't exist), in 1985
('386 only in sampling beginning late summer), in 1986 ('386 in full production by late summer) and even in 1987 (thanks to the Mac II and to the '020's wide
use as a controller in industrial/commercial devices (such as laser printers)).
The '386 is PROJECTED to outsell the '020 in '88, but then, that was the
projection for '87.  If Apple releases an "SE" type Mac with a '020 in it
(say at 12 MHz costing $3000 for the complete system), then the projection may
turn out wrong again.  Even so, the installed base of '020's is now in
the millions and its software base completely dwarfs 32-bit '386
software.  32-bit software for the 386 is not expected to be available
in quantity until 1990 AT THE EARLIEST!!   There's hardly even any '286
protected-mode (16 Meg address space) software yet!

All those benchmarks you've seen showing how fast the '386 is on the
Dhrystone (3500-5500 Ddhrystones/second for 16MHz CPUs) suffer from
two flaws:  1) Those numbers come from code produced by highly
optimizing compilers generating '386 native mode (32-bit) code (most
CURRENTLY AVAILABLE application code is for the 8086); 2) the Dhrystone
spends most of its time doing string comparison, which the Intel CPU's
have special instructions for and the Motorola CPU's don't:  and the
string comparison operation is assumed to be a primitive whose algorithm
is not specified by the benchmark!!!.

On a graphics benchmark (requiring bit-field manipulation), the Motorola CPU's
leave the '386 in the dust.

The Mac II executes the Dhrystone about 4 times faster than the Mac
Plus.  The '386 machines execute the Dhrystone about twice as fast as
the '286 machines.  Using the best optimizing compiler available, the
Mac II does about 3300 Dhrystones/second.  A SUN 3/260 (25MHz 68020)
or an Apollo DN/4000 do about 7000 Dhrystones/second using optimizing
compilers and static ram caches.  The NS32532 reportedly does 16,000
Dhrystones/second (at 30 MHz).  The 68030 should produce similar
numbers.  SUN's 4/260 (SPARC "RISC" CPU) does about 20,000
Dhrystones/second.

By the time the Intel/MS-DOS/OS2 world is getting a reasonable supply of
'386 code on 30MHz machines (1990; 12,000 Dhrystones/second), the
Motorola world will have a larger supply of 68040 software on 40 MHz
machines doing 70,000 Dhrystones/second.  Really.  No kidding.  The
68040 will implement most of its instructions using combinatorial logic
instead of microcode, and will thus reduce the average number of cycles
per instruction from 5 or 6 (on the '030) to almost 1.  That's a speed
increase of 500% just from that (larger on chip caches, faster clock
rates, 3-operand instructions and other changes may mean additional
speed ups).

Intel likes to talk about compatibility.  But it's Motorola who have
actually delivered it from the 68000 to the 68040, without needing
special compatibility modes.  The fact that the 80386 executes three
different instruction sets (8086, 80286, 80386) is sugar coating on
a fundamentally poison pill.  As time goes on, this will become more
apparent.

--alan@pdn

koko@uthub.toronto.edu (M. Kokodyniak) (01/26/88)

In article <1430@husc2.UUCP>, sipples@husc2.UUCP (sipples) writes:
> Instruction sets: the 68xxx is a little more RISC-like than the 80xx(x);
Either a CPU is RISC or it isn't.  The 68xxx has an instruction set which
is more orthogonal than that of 80xx(x).

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (01/26/88)

In article <1430@husc2.UUCP> sipples@husc2.UUCP (Timothy Sipples) writes:

| Anyway, the Motorola 68030 is now state-of-the-art, with the
| 68040 announced.  If you are inquiring about benchmark results,
| I don't know of any direct comparisons between the 68030 and the
| 80386.  However, according to Byte and other sources, the
| Motorola family now outpaces the Intel family in most tests.
| The microprocessor wars continue, however, with Intel supposedly
| working on an 80486.  [Caveat: benchmarks are sometimes
| misleading.]

	I ran some benchmarks of my own on a 16MHz 80386 (1ws)
and a Sun 3/280S (25MHz 68020, ?ws). I would have to say that
the results were inconclusive, at best. The 68881 was better at
transendental functions, but inferior in simple floating
arithmetic. 32 bit int was better on the Sun, even after
correction for the clock speeds.

	The 80386 machine did not have cache, the Sun (I'm told)
does. On another 80386 I measured 25% improvement with cache on.
Cache is not quite as good as 0ws memory, but it does halp a
lot.

	I concluded that the 80386 machines were available in a
useful configuration at a much lower price than the 68020
machines I have seen. This doesn't claim that the 80386 is
*inherently* cheaper, although that may be true due to less
stringent memory requirements.

	Current price for a small 80386 UNIX system is about $4k
for 2MB memory, UNIX runtime and C, 40MB hard drive, mono
display. I was unable to find a 68020 based system with a
similar configuration which is available for less than ~$5600 to
the end user. I didn't count discounts on either type of
machine.

	The 80386 allows running MS-DOS programs under UNIX. No
matter what your opinion of MS-DOS, there is a lot of good,
cheap, software available for it, and many people would rather
have the option than not. Witness that there are DOS cards for
the Amiga, ATT 7300, Sun, etc.

	The 68030 has a modified Harvard archetecture, and
splits the data and code internally, using a separate cache for
each and multiplexing bus to the outside world. I'm not
qualified to say that this is/isn't better than having one big
external cache on an 80386.

	Any detailed discussion of details belongs in comp.arch.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (01/26/88)

In article <4227@utai.UUCP>, tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
> >IBM is sticking with the Intel line, so the 80386 will (probably be
> >better) than the 68020.
>
> IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
			          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Where do you people come from.  IBM did _not_ own Intel.  It was simply
that Intel provided a complete chipset for a personal computer whereas
most other companies only supplied individual chips (i.e. CPU).

Greg Pasquariello
ihnp4!picuxa!Tinman!gpasq

las@apr.UUCP (Larry Shurr) (01/28/88)

<exchange over superiority of 68xxx over 80x86 (or was it superiority of
80x86 over 68xxx) omitted>

Is it ALREADY time for another round of "Your favorite microprocessor
is shit! - No your's is!" ?
--
"The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."
- Oscar Wilde, James Whistler or George Bernard Shaw depending on who you ask

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (01/28/88)

In article <4227@utai.UUCP> tjhorton@ai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:

>IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.

IBM has never 'owned' Intel.  At most, they owned about 12% of the stock,
which always struck me as a reasonable move, since they were dependent on
Intel for many of their products (not just for the PC line, by the way).
If I remember correctly, the major portion of the stock purchase was
AFTER the release and success of the PC.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

kds@mipos3.intel.com (Ken Shoemaker) (01/28/88)

In article <1430@husc2.UUCP> sipples@husc2.UUCP (Timothy Sipples) writes:
>Anyway, the Motorola 68030 is now state-of-the-art, with the 68040 announced.

I hadn't heard that the 68040 had been announced, but whatever.  When is
Mot saying that they will have samples?  Also, state-of-the-art is a very
subjective measurement.
--
"I guess people just like to shoot their guns.  It is indicative of a
considerable amount of stupidity." Sgt. Robert McLin, L.A. County Sheriff Dept.

Ken Shoemaker, Microprocessor Design, Intel Corp., Santa Clara, California
uucp: ...{hplabs|decwrl|amdcad|qantel|pur-ee|scgvaxd|oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!kds
csnet/arpanet: kds@mipos2.intel.com

In article <883@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John Delaney) writes:
>Those discussing IBM's commitment to the 80x86 family should keep in
>mind IBm's purchase of a nontivial share of Intel (~10%) a few years
>back. That may tend to mix cause and effect.

Actually it reached a peak around something like 17%. Not that Intel did
anything particularly special for them that I could see. (I worked there
beteen 83-85.). Also by now you have heard that as of february they
will have sold all of the shares they bought and have a 0% stake in
them.

--Chuck McManis

gregs@cerebus.UUCP (Greg Shubin) (01/28/88)

(Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>(Timothy J. Horton) writes:
>>
>> IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
>			           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>Where do you people come from.  IBM did _not_ own Intel.

They DID own 20% of Intel stock, which is closer to owning
Intel than anyone else (except maybe Intel). BTW, IBM has
recently finished selling all of their Intel stock.

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Bobmon) (01/28/88)

to John Mashey (whose return address didn't work) --

OK, You've confused me by the following article (exerpts from comp.sys.ibm.pc).
You seem to assume that RISC machines require relatively few clock cycles
per "vax-mip".  This would suggest that the instruction set is closely
matched to the things the benchmarks do ("vax-mip-instructions"?).

I thought that one principle of RISC was that simpler instructions could
run fast enough to allow using more of them to get the job done.  This would
mean (to me, anyway) more clocks per "vax-mip", albeit at a higher clock speed.
Would you please explain why Lower cycles/vax-mip means more RISCiness?

In article <1417@winchester.mips.COM> mash@winchester.UUCP (John Mashey) writes:
- The simplest measure of RISC-vs-CISC is the number of cycles per equivalent
- amount of work, i.e., cycles/vax-mip, for example (which is NOT the
- same as cycles/(native instruction).  The way you compute this is:
- 	...
- Rel	Clock	Clock/	Machine
- Perf	MHz	Perf	Type
- 1	5	5	VAX 11/780 [4.3BSD]
- 2.1	16.7	8	68020 (Sun-3/160)
- 4*	25	6.2	68020, 64K cache (Sun-3/260) (had to guess on this one)
- 8.4	16.7	2	SPARC (Sun-4/200) [a RISC]
- 11.3	15	1.3	MIPS R2000 (MIPS M/1000 system) [a RISC]
- 	...
- may fix that (2-cycle bus interface helps).  Notice the difference
- that the cache makes between the 2 Suns in dropping the cycle/vax-mips number.
-
- Finally, note that even outright RISC machines differ in their
- RISCyness according to this metric.

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (01/28/88)

In article <1430@husc2.UUCP> sipples@husc2.UUCP (Timothy Sipples) writes:
>Anyway, the Motorola 68030 is now state-of-the-art, with the 68040 announced.
>If you are inquiring about benchmark results, I don't know of any direct com-
>parisons between the 68030 and the 80386.  However, according to Byte and

The Jan88 issue of Dr. Dobb's has an article titled "386 vs. 030: The
Crowded Fast Lane."  One amusing section of the article is titled "Lies,
Damn Lies, and Benchmarks."

The article is not an in-depth one.  However, it does provide some
interesting insights....todd

--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program
UUCP:		{ihnp4,uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!todd

todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) (01/28/88)

In article <4227@utai.UUCP> tjhorton@ai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
>>IBM is sticking with the Intel line, so the 80386 will (probably be
>>better) than the 68020.
>
>IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.  Considering that they
>owned the company, and the 802xx stuff was coming out around then, you
>think they would have looked at the specs and built the PC to move in

I think you may have things a bit backwards here.   As I recall, IBM chose
the Intel 8088 over the Motorola 68K because the support chips and 8-bit
bus for the 8088 was cheaper and more plentiful.  IBM started buying large
chunks of Intel after they started building the PC, not the other way
around.  Moreover, IBM recently sold off large chunks of Intel stock.  A
number of analysts said that the reason IBM bought into Intel years ago was
to insure that Intel stayed in business and therefore able to supply chips
to IBM.  Since IBM now seems to believe that Intel can run on their own
without a big blue life support, they sold off a lot of Intel stock.

--

larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) (01/28/88)

In article <462@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>In article <4227@utai.UUCP>, tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
>> IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
>
>Where do you people come from.  IBM did _not_ own Intel.

You're both right.  IBM did not own a majority of Intel, but owned (owns?)
a significant block of Intel's stock.

delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John Delaney) (01/28/88)

In article <40222@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:
> Not that Intel did
> anything particularly special for them that I could see. (I worked there
> beteen 83-85.).

I have heard otherwise from one top technical type at Intel. A project he
was running was killed and others he tried to started were stillborn because
of interference by IBM. He ended up being ordered to stop certain activities
by an executive of IBM, not by Intel's management. I for one am glad to see
IBM out of Intel.

As for my original remark and some comments one it, let me say I knew IBM
firts bought into INTEL after it became a major user of Intel CPUs. But it
is hard to believe that their continuing commitment thereafter was purely
technical in motivation. The question now that IBM has sold out its share
of Intel is whether IBM will continue a high level of commitment to Intel
CPUs, go with another vendor, or user IBM-developed and manufactured CPUs.
I would bet on the last. After all, IBM has some of the best manufacturing
and packaging technology in the world in-house.

John

joel@peora.ccur.com (Joel Upchurch) (01/29/88)

In article <2751@fluke.COM>, kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) writes:
> Those discussing IBM's purchase of a nontrivial share of Intel (~10%) should
> keep in mind IBM's recent partial divestiture of it's Intel stock.  It is
> more than possible that to IBM, Intel is "just a supplier" and beyond that,
> a sole-source supplier with demonstrated problems with its manufacturing
> process.  The stake in Intel may have been nothing more than a way to insure
> delivery during a critical period.  One should note that IBM could have
> purchased Intel on the open market for cash during the time it bought it's
> 10% stake.

I would think that IBM would have good right to be concerned. I seem to
recall that a couple of computer makers went out of business in the 70s
because of problems getting 8085 chips. Didn't IBM get the right to use
the Intel photomasks and manufacture their own chips? I suspect that
IBMs interest in Intel decreased a lot after they got their hands on those.
If IBM had bought out Intel, it seems to me that it would put them in a
uncomfortable position with regard to potiental antitrust action, since
they would be supplying critical components to their competitiors. If there
were significant problems supplying chips to those companies, IBM might
find themselves in Federal Court.
--
   Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (305-850-1040)
   Southern Development Center/2486 Sand Lake Road/ Orlando, Florida 32809

pl@tut.fi (Pertti Lehtinen) (01/29/88)

From article <462@picuxa.UUCP>, by gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190):
> In article <4227@utai.UUCP>, tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
>> IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
> 			          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Where do you people come from.  IBM did _not_ own Intel.  It was simply
> that Intel provided a complete chipset for a personal computer whereas
> most other companies only supplied individual chips (i.e. CPU).

	As far as I know, IBM owned part of Intel on those days.
	And I think that chipset was not so very complete,
	as basic display controller (MC6845) is from Motorola.

				Pertti Lehtinen
				pl@tut.fi

--
pl@tut.fi			! All opinions expressed above
Pertti Lehtinen			! are preliminary and in subject

bobb@elrond.CalComp.COM (Robert J. Boulanger) (01/29/88)

As a former Intel employee, until Jan 12, 1988, I can assure you that
IBM NEVER owned Intel.  A few years ago, IBM did purchase approximately
20% of Intel's outstanding stock, but it has since resold most, if not
all, of its holdings in the Intel Corporation.

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (01/29/88)

In article <1416@winchester.mips.COM>, mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
> >IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
> Nonsense.  They started with the 8088 long before there was any relationship.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!  I have been getting flamed all week for saying
the same thing.  It's good to know that there are others out there that know
the real story!

Greg Pasquariello
ihnp4!picuxa!Tinman!gpasq

sedwards@esunix.UUCP (Scott Edwards) (01/30/88)

in article <686@uthub.toronto.edu>, koko@uthub.toronto.edu (M. Kokodyniak) says:

> In article <1430@husc2.UUCP>, sipples@husc2.UUCP (sipples) writes:
>> Instruction sets: the 68xxx is a little more RISC-like than the 80xx(x);
> Either a CPU is RISC or it isn't.  The 68xxx has an instruction set which
> is more orthogonal than that of 80xx(x).

Sheilds up, Mr. Sulu!

    The 68000 orthogonal?  ha ha ha Ha Ha Ha HA HA.

    I dare you find more that 4 operators that allow exactly the same
    set of operand sizes, sources and destinations.

    32xxx = almost orthogonal.
    80xxx = kind of, sort of orthogonal.
    680xx = orthogonal only in Motorola Ministry of Propaganda literature,
            otherwise a joke.

delatizk@lf-server-2.BBN.COM (Jonathan Delatizky) (01/30/88)

IBM has in fact been selling most of the remaining Intel stock it owns
over the last few months. I'm not entirely sure, but I think I read a
statement to the effect that IBM would sell it all.

hsu@santra.UUCP (Heikki Suonsivu) (01/30/88)

In article <2101@pdn.UUCP> alan@pdn.UUCP (0000-Alan Lovejoy) writes:
>projection for '87.  If Apple releases an "SE" type Mac with a '020 in it
>(say at 12 MHz costing $3000 for the complete system), then the projection may
>turn out wrong again.  Even so, the installed base of '020's is now in

Right now can 386-based AT-clones with 2 meg ram and reasonable hard
disk be bought for less than $3000, with 16 MHz zero waits. Maybe not
much but it is certainly faster than 12 MHz 68020. To get something
reasonable done, you have to add MMU also, but using 68030 would be
more sensible anyway, maybe they choose it.

>software.  32-bit software for the 386 is not expected to be available
>in quantity until 1990 AT THE EARLIEST!!   There's hardly even any '286
>protected-mode (16 Meg address space) software yet!

There's already unix available from 3 sources (counted xenix in also),
and I guess that alone gives quite a bunch of software available, gnu
emacs has already been ported, and there is lots of other goodies,
lots of it avaiable free.  Who would want 286 protected mode software?
Or 286 at all? Not me. Others?

>[lots of numbers from dhrystone benchmark]

I'm running 8 MHz 286 and 10 MHz 68010, no waits for both, Unix on
both. Dhrystone tells me that 8 MHz 286 is faster than 10MHz 68010.
That's bullshit, tells my eyes and watch. Referring to dhrystone
is like comparing dos machines with Norton's SI.

>By the time the Intel/MS-DOS/OS2 world is getting a reasonable supply of
>'386 code on 30MHz machines (1990; 12,000 Dhrystones/second), the

OS2 is 286 operating system. Doesn't make sense to wait when they get
it bugfree and look like operating system, specially when it's made
for obsolete processor (286 is't high-tech, is it?). I would rather
run unix.

>Motorola world will have a larger supply of 68040 software on 40 MHz
>machines doing 70,000 Dhrystones/second.  Really.  No kidding.  The

I would love to get such a thing, but right now, I have to select
between $3000 taiwanese 386 clone and $6000 68020 unix box. I would
rather take $3000 in cash and $3000 taiwanese clone. Though, right now
I couldn't afford either... :-(

>Intel likes to talk about compatibility.  But it's Motorola who have
>actually delivered it from the 68000 to the 68040, without needing
>special compatibility modes.  The fact that the 80386 executes three

Only upward compatibility. Intel has modes, but their previous
processors are pure shit. Though, it's not a good argument either way,
operating systems should make it possible for me to forget about what
chip there is in the machine (YARUU = Yet Another Reason to Use Unix).

>different instruction sets (8086, 80286, 80386) is sugar coating on
>a fundamentally poison pill.  As time goes on, this will become more
>apparent.

Mostly I use 8086 compatibility to be able to run Flight simulator and
other nice games. And sometimes, to compile programs developed under
unix for customers too stupid, poor or tied-with-ibm-because-their-
boss-doesn't-understand-anything-about-computers to get anything but a
mess dos.

I would love to see IBM, Intel and Microsoft to collapse, development
of computers would speed up a lot. Meanwhile, I try to find best
alternatives available, and as I'm using unix most of time, I don't
pay much attention to the processor, price is more important, what I
get for my bucks. :-)

jed4885@ritcv.UUCP (Jason Dyer) (01/31/88)

In article <623@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>In article <4227@utai.UUCP> tjhorton@ai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
>>
>>IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
>
>IBM has never 'owned' Intel.  At most, they owned about 12% of the stock,
>which always struck me as a reasonable move, since they were dependent on
>Intel for many of their products (not just for the PC line, by the way).
>If I remember correctly, the major portion of the stock purchase was
>AFTER the release and success of the PC.
>
>--
>Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
>{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate
>        unisoft!gethen!farren | it.  You may want to change your mind someday."
>gethen!farren@lll-winken.llnl.gov ----- Tom Reingold, from alt.flame

People, please, I'm getting sick of seeing arguments of how much Intel stock
IBM does or doesn't own in comp.sys.m68k.  Please check your followup line
before you go shooting these things off.

					-Jason

(With my luck this will some how get cross posted to rec.whale.lovers. :^)

doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (02/02/88)

>IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.

As many folks have already pointed out...  this is a pure crock.  IBM
didn't own anything of Intel until long after the PC was well established.
And then they only bought about a 1/4 interest, and they've sold that off
(before the October stock market crash, the lucky dogs!)

>and the 802xx stuff was coming out around then

More nonsense.  The 80286 wasn't even thought of when the PC was designed.
 - - - - -
"Sherman, set the Wayback machine for 1980, location: Boca Raton, Florida."

Here we find the designers of the PC trying to decide which CPU to use.
The obvious choice is the Z-80.  The big problem with the Z-80 is that
*everybody* uses it -- it'd be easier to differentiate the product if
it used a different CPU.  Like maybe a 16-bit CPU.  Sure!  That would
give it an edge in the market.  And maybe allow more than 64K of memory
without bank-switching!

Let's see, who makes 16-bit CPUs...  Intel makes the 8086.  For 64K programs,
it's as easy to program as the Z-80, and there's an 8080-to-8086 translator
program available.  The 8086 is a bit yucky for bigger programs, but it sure
beats the bank-switching that would be needed for a Z-80.

Zilog makes the Z-8000 series.  The Z-8002 can only address 64K, but the
Z-8001 can address 8 Meg using an even messier segmented addressing scheme
than the 8086, one which requires the addition of the Z-8010 MMU chip in
order to use effectively.  Ick, bank switching would be easier.

Motorola makes the 68000, but by company policy they won't sell them for
use in home computers.

DEC makes the LSI-11.  But it's expensive and only addresses 128K.  And
buying a single-sourced critical component from a competitor is risky
business.  No way!

There are a bunch of oddball chips from manufacturers like Fairchild and
National Semiconductor, but none are serious contenders for the design.

The only real possibilities are the 8086 and Z-8000.  The decision is made
easier because there's an 8-bit-bus version of the 8086 (the 8088).  This
significantly reduces the number of other chips needed in the design --
albeit at a definite reduction in performance on any 16-bit operations.

So the choice is fairly obvious.  And "the rest is history".
 - - - - -
The point that most people miss when they berate IBM for having gone with
Intel is that the 68000 was *not* an available option at the time.  A few
years later, Apple would get its foot in the door with the Lisa (not a home
computer), and then managed to pry the door wide open with the Macintosh.

Other than the 68000, what would *you* have designed in, hmmm?  And remember
that this is supposed to be a low-cost home computer: the standard machine
has 16K of RAM, uses cassette tape for storage, and BASIC in ROM; for the
big-time user the mother-board can hold up to 64K of RAM and you can put
two single-sided 160KB floppy disk drives in the machine.
--
Doug Pardee         {ames,hplabs,sun,amdahl,ihnp4,allegra}!oliveb!edge!doug
Edge Computer Corp., Scottsdale, AZ                 uunet!ism780c!edge!doug

In article <889@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@XN.LL.MIT.EDU (John Delaney) writes:
|> I have heard otherwise from one top technical type at Intel. A project he
|> was running was killed and others he tried to started were stillborn because
|> of interference by IBM. He ended up being ordered to stop certain activities
|> by an executive of IBM, not by Intel's management. I for one am glad to see
|> IBM out of Intel.

Well let me be more clear without violating any nondisclosure agreements I
signed... Intel did not do anything special for IBM because it owned some
percentage of the company, that is not to say things were not done for IBM
as a large customer. Basically, if you buy > $100,000,000 worth of chips from
Intel you can ask them to put things into them, or change things around, or
test to a given speed parameter. Ford does it all the time with the Engine
controllers that Intel builds for them. By the same token if any big customer
throws some money at you to build something, and is either paying for the
development or preordering some fixed quantity of the final product (which
is the same thing essentially). You build it no? You want an 8088 with 32
bit address registers and a linear address segment? Send Intel $10,000,000
and I am sure they would be glad to build it for you. By the same token
if you are a 'top technical type' and working on a project that is being
funded by a large customer, you are responsible for meeting the needs of
that customer, so they can tell you, "No, we don't want it to work like
that, we want it to work like THIS." You don't have a choice really, except
to do it that way. About the only interference IBM ever caused was to
be very aggressive about verifying the Intel test patterns. Generally,
if you couldn't show them a test pattern that verified a particular spec
they got really upset. And in that regard, I would say that IBM actually
increased the quality of Intel parts significantly because of the additional
testing. Of course that helped everyone, not just IBM.

--Chuck McManis

In article <2757@peora.ccur.com> joel@peora.UUCP writes:
> If IBM had bought out Intel, it seems to me that it would put them in a
> uncomfortable position with regard to potiental antitrust action ...

Everyone that knew that Texas Instruments started life as a division of
IBM raise you right hand. Ok, for you trivia fans, can you name the
antitrust case where IBM was ordered to divest themselves of that business?
(No, I don't remember it off hand, but I do remember talking about it around
'77 - '78 when IBM was defending itself against Memorex et al)

--Chuck McManis

FYS-MA@FINTUVM.BITNET (Matti Aarnio) (02/02/88)

In article <1480@uhccux.UUCP>, todd@uhccux.UUCP (The Perplexed Wiz) says:
>The Jan88 issue of Dr. Dobb's has an article titled "386 vs. 030: The
>Crowded Fast Lane."  One amusing section of the article is titled "Lies,
>Damn Lies, and Benchmarks."

  That particular section title sounds like one  Inmos  paper telling us
quirks behind Dhrystone, and some other *popular* bencmarks.

Among others it points out, that "well" made  string library for C language
helps 80x86 family to get especially good results when comparing to other
cpus without string instructions.  (Inmos talks about their Transputers)

It points out also, that most of *popular* bencmarks rely on some special
features, that usually are tought to be atomistic, and same on everywere.

They also backtracked Dhrystone to original Algol source, where they found
that string dependency.

To compare cpus with running similar applications on them is sometimes
impossible.   I could run some global weather model with big net of
Transputers, but I could never run it in any of my home "computers".

Comparing them with running UNIX clones ?  Maybe, but it asks also for
GOOD implementation, and fast disks.  (main traps on UNIX, you know)

>Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii Faculty Development Program

  / Matti Aarnio, U. of Turku (Physics departement/WPL),  FINLAND
UUCP:   mea@kolvi.hut.fi
BITNET: FYS-MA at FINTUVM   (different computers)
<food-for-tail-eater>

han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han, fire fighter) (02/03/88)

Can we please move this discussion to comp.misc?  According to Mr. Spock,
"Cross posting is an illogical wastage of USEnet resources"

Besides my 'n' and 'k' keys are getting weaker... :-)

--
------------------------ Byron Han,  Communications Tool ----------------------
     Apple Computer, Inc.  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 27Y  Cupertino, CA 95014

alan@pdn.UUCP (Alan Lovejoy) (02/03/88)

/
/Right now can 386-based AT-clones with 2 meg ram and reasonable hard
/disk be bought for less than $3000, with 16 MHz zero waits. Maybe not
/much but it is certainly faster than 12 MHz 68020. To get something
/reasonable done, you have to add MMU also, but using 68030 would be
/more sensible anyway, maybe they choose it.

That depends on availability of the 68030 in quantitiy.  If it can be
done, I'm sure Apple will do it.

Whatever.  This week's Computerworld says Sculley has let it be known
that a machine somewhere between (pricewise) the Mac II and the SE will be
released this summer.  CPU not specified, but NuBus slots and optional color
video hardware are to be expected.  Time will tell.

/>software.  32-bit software for the 386 is not expected to be available
/>in quantity until 1990 AT THE EARLIEST!!   There's hardly even any '286
/>protected-mode (16 Meg address space) software yet!

/There's already unix available from 3 sources (counted xenix in also),
/and I guess that alone gives quite a bunch of software available, gnu
/emacs has already been ported, and there is lots of other goodies,
/lots of it avaiable free.  Who would want 286 protected mode software?
/Or 286 at all? Not me. Others?

UNIX is system software.  It's of great interest to SOME hardcore computer
jocks.  Its of no interest to 90% (at least) of all computer users.
Besides, just where do you think most UNIX application software
currently comes from?  Why, from 680x0 machines!  Portability works both
ways, of course.  '386 UNIX applications should be easily portable to
the 680x0.  Of course, the easier it is to port applications accross
CPUs, the more likely it is that people will migrate en masse to the
best hardware available.  In such a world, neither the '386 nor the '030
would be the CPU of choice.  Since this is not happening, portability
must be less than advertized in some way.  Maybe it's just that it only
works for source code at this point.  Or is it because people are still
too ignorant? Hmmm...

Who wants '286 protected mode software?  I don't, but then I haven't
invested ANY money in '286 hardware or software.  If I were a
corporation with 5,000 ATs, I'd probably be VERY interested in software
that would let me use 16MB of memory on my machines, instead of limiting
me to 640K.

/>[lots of numbers from dhrystone benchmark]
/
/I'm running 8 MHz 286 and 10 MHz 68010, no waits for both, Unix on
/both. Dhrystone tells me that 8 MHz 286 is faster than 10MHz 68010.
/That's bullshit, tells my eyes and watch. Referring to dhrystone
/is like comparing dos machines with Norton's SI.

Your phrasing is strange here.  I interpret your comments to the effect
that the Dhrystone benchmark is not a good indicator of relative
performance of different CPUs.  I heartily agree with THAT!

/>By the time the Intel/MS-DOS/OS2 world is getting a reasonable supply of
/>'386 code on 30MHz machines (1990; 12,000 Dhrystones/second), the

/OS2 is 286 operating system. Doesn't make sense to wait when they get
/it bugfree and look like operating system, specially when it's made
/for obsolete processor (286 is't high-tech, is it?). I would rather
/run unix.

Most users would rather use either the Finder or the Presentation
Manager.  Software companies are going to produce most software under
these two environments.  It's where the market is going; UNIX will NEVER
be an operating system for the common man.

/I would love to see IBM, Intel and Microsoft to collapse, development
/of computers would speed up a lot. Meanwhile, I try to find best
/alternatives available, and as I'm using unix most of time, I don't
/pay much attention to the processor, price is more important, what I
/get for my bucks. :-)

If IBM, Intel and Microsoft all "collapsed" it would make the Great
Depression look like a picnic.  Get real.

The people who buy the most computers (corporations) are a lot more
sophisticated than you are in their purchasing decisions.  They consider
factors such as reliability, service, support, vendor strength and
stability and also price.  Many of them have to worry about these things
on a world-wide scale (not just in one city).  They also have to
consider connectivity, training costs, administrative costs and
maintenance costs.   This doesn't mean they always make the best
decision, and they certainly don't always buy the most technically
excellent systems (note the distinction).  They tend to be conservative.
They prefer to let someone else debug new technologies before they buy
in to them.  'Let the pioneers get the arrows in their backs' is their
attitude.

A new technology cannot supersede an existing technology unless the
benefits of change evidently (to those paying the bills) outweigh the
costs of junking the old technology.  This is the central point at
issue.  Apple has been having ever-increasing success in arguing the Mac is
a technology sufficiently better than the PC to justify its adoption.
The UNIX vendors have been successful with this argument in the
minicomputer and high-end workstation market.  They have not been
successful in the personal computer market.  Since UNIX's competition
in this market is improving faster than UNIX is, it is VERY unlikely
that the situation will change.

--alan@pdn

clay@oravax.UUCP (McFarland) (02/03/88)

In article <40675@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:

>Everyone that knew that Texas Instruments started life as a division of
>IBM raise you right hand. Ok, for you trivia fans, can you name the
>antitrust case where IBM was ordered to divest themselves of that business?
>(No, I don't remember it off hand, but I do remember talking about it around
>'77 - '78 when IBM was defending itself against Memorex et al)
>
>--Chuck McManis

Everyone with your right hand up go stand in the corner. Texas
Instruments started life in the 30's as Geophysical Services, Inc. In
the late 40's GSI merged with an obscure Arizona company which had a
Big Board listing and changed the company name to Texas Instruments.
GSI remained a division of TI. In the 60's some Semiconductor Division
managers and marketeers seemed to think that TI belonged to IBM, but
the relationship was never more than friendly coercion ("If you go
into the computer business, we'll make our own semiconductors...").
The coercion had some effect; the first computer for which I was
architect was described in the TI annual report as a "special purpose
digital data-handling device". That should get a smiley face, but it's
a direct quote.

Clay Brooke-McFarland		    Odyssey Research Associates

--------------------------------------------------------------|
"Wait! There's something we're all overlooking!" Chorus: "What|
is it, Doctor?" "I don't know. I'm overlooking it myself."    |
--------------------------------------------------------------|

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (02/03/88)

In article <7313@apple.UUCP> han@apple.UUCP (Byron Han, fire fighter) writes:
>Can we please move this discussion to comp.misc?  According to Mr. Spock,
>"Cross posting is an illogical wastage of USEnet resources"

I didn't know Spock was on USENET but if he is, he's wrong. Cross
posted articles are implemented as pointers, the articles are only
stored once.

>Besides my 'n' and 'k' keys are getting weaker... :-)

So use K in rn.
--
The VT220 keyboard sucks, but the VT320 is usable.
DEC finally got it right!

Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or phil@amd.com

jesup@pawl5.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (02/03/88)

In article <1029@edge.UUCP> doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>"Sherman, set the Wayback machine for 1980, location: Boca Raton, Florida."
>Here we find the designers of the PC trying to decide which CPU to use.
>Motorola makes the 68000, but by company policy they won't sell them for
>use in home computers.
>The only real possibilities are the 8086 and Z-8000.  The decision is made
>easier because there's an 8-bit-bus version of the 8086 (the 8088).  This
>significantly reduces the number of other chips needed in the design --
>albeit at a definite reduction in performance on any 16-bit operations.
>The point that most people miss when they berate IBM for having gone with
>Intel is that the 68000 was *not* an available option at the time.  A few
>years later, Apple would get its foot in the door with the Lisa (not a home
>computer), and then managed to pry the door wide open with the Macintosh.

Hmmm.  According to a friend of mine who worked at Boca at and after that
time, there were 3 competing design teams.  Of those three, one used the
8088, the other two used the 68000.  The general opinion at Boca was that
the 68000-based machines were much better, but that internal politics hurt
them in the evaluation.

Where does this "68000 is outlawed for home machines" come from, anyway?

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) (02/03/88)

Just a clarification on a point by Doug Parde...  he stated that the 80286
wasn't even thought of when IBM came out with the PC...

I can't state when the 286 work began, but do know from documentation that
it was well into design by 1982...  in fact, the design of the 386 began in
1982...  I would assume that intel *was* working on the 286 at the time the
PC came out...

A working chip?  Well, they're still working on it.

steve

rod@cpocd2.UUCP (Rod Rebello) (02/03/88)

In article <2129@pdn.UUCP> larry@pdn.UUCP (0000-Larry Swift) writes:
>You're both right.  IBM did not own a majority of Intel, but owned (owns?)
>a significant block of Intel's stock.

IBM no longer owns any Intel stock.

corey@svo.UUCP (Corey McCormick) (02/05/88)

In article <161@spked.UUCP> you write:

>Just a clarification on a point by Doug Parde...  he stated that the 80286
>wasn't even thought of when IBM came out with the PC...
>
>I can't state when the 286 work began, but do know from documentation that
>it was well into design by 1982...  in fact, the design of the 386 began in
>1982...  I would assume that intel *was* working on the 286 at the time the
>PC came out...
>
>steve

For what it is worth, some people that were working for a couple of very
large IBM accounts were told by IBM in '75-'76 that IBM had designed and
built a computer with the same rough capabilities of an IBM 360 (model
60 I think, I've no idea what they are) ~1Mb addressable RAM, 64Kb
segments, ala 8086/8.  BTW, most posters of the '286 have a (C) 1982 on
the mask...

			Corey

jwhitnel@csi.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (02/05/88)

In article <330@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP writes:
|In article <1029@edge.UUCP> doug@edge.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
|>"Sherman, set the Wayback machine for 1980, location: Boca Raton, Florida."
"Yes, Mr. Peabody" :-)

|>Here we find the designers of the PC trying to decide which CPU to use.
|>Motorola makes the 68000, but by company policy they won't sell them for
|>use in home computers.

|Where does this "68000 is outlawed for home machines" come from, anyway?

Most of the following is second hand from Hal Handeburg's (sp?) newsletter
DTACK Grounded.  This newsletter was published from late 79 to about two
years ago and very pro-68000, but not always pro-Motorola.  According to
Hal (or FNE as he titled himself in the newsletter), Motorola's marketing
was to position the 68000 as a PDP-11 killer and that it was too powerful
and expensive for the home market.  Since his company Digital Accoustics
built a 68000 add-on board for the Apple // (remember this is around 1980)
he had lots of dealings with the Morotola salespeople but very little help.
Only when Intel started wiping the floor with Morotola due to the IBM PC did
Motorola see the light.

|     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development

Jerry Whitnell				Been through Hell?
Communication Solutions, Inc.		What did you bring back for me?
						- A. Brilliant

ned@ghostwheel.UUCP (Ned Nowotny) (02/05/88)

In article <2753@omepd> hah@mipon3.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:
>There is a fair article in the Jan issue of Dr. Dobbs Journal of Software
>Tools:
>
>	"The 68030 How good is it"

"Fair" is a bit too kind.  For Dr. Dobbs Journal, the article was almost
content free.  Other than a general description of the separate instruction
and data caches on chip, the article had very little to say about the
processor.  Instead, a significant portion of the article was devoted to
the usual litany of benchmark inadequacies.  However, no benchmarks were
presented.  Since the article was on a new processor and not on the
trouble with benchmarks, the wasted column inches could have been better
used to describe other enhancements over the rest of the 680XX family.  In
particular, a detailed look at the on chip memory management functions and
how they differ from the facilities offered by the 68451 and the 68851 would
have been appreciated.

The most unfortunate part is that Tyler Sperry, the new managing (?) editor,
was responsible for this article.  Amazingly, a guest editorial replaced
his monthly editorial because he was too busy with this "lead" article.

I was developing a few doubts about DDJ before this, but now I am really
concerned.  Coupled with the recent changes at Byte, I'm afraid that the
future of the computer-related popular press is MacWorld and a bevy of clones.

Ackkkk!!!

--

Ned Nowotny (ned@ghostwheel.aca.mcc.com.UUCP)

In article <9342@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@zephyrus.UUCP (william E Davidsen) writes:
>In article <4227@utai.UUCP> tjhorton@ai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
>>
>>IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.  Considering that they
>>owned the company, and the 802xx stuff was coming out around then, you
>>think they would have looked at the specs and built the PC to move in
>
>I don't mind you expressing your opinion, but I do take offense
>at presenting blatent lies as fact. IBM does not own Intel. IBM
>never did own Intel. At one time they had a small block of Intel
>stock (about 15% as I recall).

While the corrections are appreciated, please note that anything like
a 15% share of a publicly traded corporation is not "small".  IBM
gained a considerable amount of clout over Intel with its acquisition
of this block of stock.

However, the stock was most likely purchased by IBM as an insurance policy
for its PC line and not because of a desire to base all their microprocessor
based products on Intel chips.  In fact, the stock was purchased after the
IBM PC was developed.

--

Ned Nowotny (ned@ghostwheel.aca.mcc.com.UUCP)

gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) (02/06/88)

In article <2129@pdn.UUCP>, larry@pdn.UUCP (Larry Swift) writes:
> In article <462@picuxa.UUCP> gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> >In article <4227@utai.UUCP>, tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
> >> IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
> >
> >Where do you people come from.  IBM did _not_ own Intel.
>
> You're both right.  IBM did not own a majority of Intel, but owned (owns?)
> a significant block of Intel's stock.

We are not both right.  IBM began using the Intel stuff before they had any
(financial) interest in Intel.  After a while, IBM bought about 10 percent of
Intel stock.  Since then, I believe (although I'm not sure) that IBM has sold
some or all of it's Intel stock.

Greg Pasquariello
ihnp4!picuxa!Tinman!gpasq

jay@splut.UUCP (Jay Maynard) (02/06/88)

In article <161@spked.UUCP>, croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) writes:
> Just a clarification on a point by Doug Parde...  he stated that the 80286
> wasn't even thought of when IBM came out with the PC...
>
> I can't state when the 286 work began, but do know from documentation that
> it was well into design by 1982...  in fact, the design of the 386 began in
> 1982...  I would assume that intel *was* working on the 286 at the time the
> PC came out...

Well, you're right.
Unfortunately, this isn't too relevant: you must compare the chips available
at the time the PC was being designed, not when it came out (despite what
some PC-bashers on the net would like to believe, it wasn't rushed out the
door in 6 months).

The PC's basic design was set down in 1979, I believe. Certainly not later
than 1980. Selecting a processor was one of the first decisions to be made,
and was influenced primarily by two facts:
1) There was a mountain of CP/M software that could be fairly simply
transported, and much more simply than it could have been ported to the
68000. This made it much more likely to get software support early on.
2) The 8086 family of chips was a complete set, that could be wired together
to produce a complete machine. There were few-to-none support devices for
the 68000 available. Needless to say, this was also true for the 286...

--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC (@WB5BBW)...>splut!< | GEnie: JAYMAYNARD  CI$: 71036,1603
uucp: {uunet!nuchat,academ!uhnix1,{ihnp4,bellcore,killer}!tness1}!splut!jay

bownesrm@beowulf.UUCP ( Stowaway aboard the Long Shot) (02/06/88)

	I don't know 'bout the rest of ya'll, but I'm getting mighty
tired or reading the old IBM-does-Intel gossip in comp.sys.m68k. This is a
newsgroup for discussion about the 68000 series processors, not the
Intel/Motorola war. Please take it elsewhere gentlebeings.

Bob Bownes, aka iii, aka captain comrade bob    | Since I AM my employer,
Function Consulting,	Albany, New York, 12203 | I guess these opinions are
(518)-482-8798 voice (518)-482-9228 (anon uucp) | those of my employer
 bownesrm@beowulf.uucp				| my houseplants, and my TR-6.

ray@micomvax.UUCP (Ray Dunn) (02/08/88)

 RE: 80386 and 680x0

Please PLEASE note:

 > Disclaimer: I am not trying to start a my-computer-can-beat-your-computer
 > war.  Please e-mail any resonses, I'll summarize is nececessary.
 >
 >	Johan Larson  watdragon.waterloo.edu

We dont want to start that one all over again!

ram@elmgate.UUCP (Randy Martens) (02/09/88)

I used to be and Intel 8088/8086/80186/80286/80386 fan,
but I got better.

68000 family forever !!

Seriously folks, the 8088 was originally designed a a stepping stone chip for
those users of old 8080 & 8085 stuff who wanted more performance without
having to redesign equipment to accomodate a bus larger than 8 bits.  The
fact that IBM chose what was supposed to be  only a replacement/upgrade chip
to base an entire family of computers around boggles the mind.  And
unfortunately Intel chose to perpetuate all its errors thoughout the whole
family of chips.  This is nice for code designers, who can run their 8088
code on an 80386, but real unpleasent for hardware folks.

Sigh.  The comment that "Intel Architectures Build Character" is a quite
succinct summation.

Thank ghod I get to use real chips like the 68020 now.

flames to /dev/null

--
* Randy Martens @ rochester!kodak!elmgate!ram
* "You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."

In article <462@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
> In article <4227@utai.UUCP>, tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
> > IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
> Where do you people come from.  IBM did _not_ own Intel.

For that matter IBM didn't design the IBM-PC. It burst fully fleshed from Zeus'
head... uh... Seattle Computer Products.

Anyone have the complete story on how the IBM-PC really came about. The
original hardware and DOS came from the aforementioned company (modulo typos),
but how close was the original IBM-PC to its predecessor?
--
-- Peter da Silva  `-_-'  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter
-- Disclaimer: These U aren't mere opinions... these are *values*.

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/11/88)

In article <1446@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
| [...]
| For that matter IBM didn't design the IBM-PC. It burst fully fleshed from Zeus'
| head... uh... Seattle Computer Products.

  I don't believe that's correct. SCP wrote a CP/M lookalike called QDOS
(quick and dirty operating system), supposedly done in less than a week
by a resident hacker. I was a dealer for SCP at the time, and they never
gave any indication of development other than S100.

  If someone has some hard facts to the contrary I'd like to see tham.
Rumour need not apply.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/11/88)

In article <1446@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <462@picuxa.UUCP>, gp@picuxa.UUCP (Greg Pasquariello X1190) writes:
>> In article <4227@utai.UUCP>, tjhorton@utai.UUCP (Timothy J. Horton) writes:
>> > IBM used the 80xx stuff because they owned Intel.
>> Where do you people come from.  IBM did _not_ own Intel.
>
>For that matter IBM didn't design the IBM-PC. It burst fully fleshed from Zeus'
>head... uh... Seattle Computer Products.

Uh, you're going to get flamed for this one.  This is completely
false.  MS-DOS originally came from SCP.

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/11/88)

In article <1446@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>For that matter IBM didn't design the IBM-PC. It burst fully fleshed from Zeus'
>head... uh... Seattle Computer Products.

Bad news.  Bad information.  Seattle Computer wrote the first version of
what later became MS-DOS, but did NOT have anything to do with the design
of the IBM PC.  Seattle Computer's DOS (which I think, but am not certain,
was called QDOS, for Quick DOS) was intended only to provide a CP/M-like
interface to their 8086 computer, which I believe, but am again not certain,
was an S-100 bus machine.

--

mikewa@microsoft.UUCP (Mike Walma) (02/11/88)

In article <9498@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1446@sugar.UUCP> peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>| [...]
>| For that matter IBM didn't design the IBM-PC. It burst fully fleshed from Zeus'
>| head... uh... Seattle Computer Products.
>
>  I don't believe that's correct. SCP wrote a CP/M lookalike called QDOS
>(quick and dirty operating system), supposedly done in less than a week
>by a resident hacker. I was a dealer for SCP at the time, and they never
>gave any indication of development other than S100.
>
>  If someone has some hard facts to the contrary I'd like to see tham.
>Rumour need not apply.
>--

According to Gordon Letwin, long time software guru here at Microsoft,
Microsoft bought the rights to something called SCP-DOS written by
Tim Paterson at SCP, in or around August 1981.  Microsoft used it
as the basis of MS-DOS 1.0.  Gordon descibes it as a CP/M-80
clone that ran on the 8088's.  My reference for this is Gordon's
new book, Inside OS/2.  If people really need to know more, I suppose
I could ask him for more info.

Mike Walma

Microsoft rarely shares my opinions.

croft@spked.UUCP (Steve Croft) (02/12/88)

In article <1446@sugar.UUCP>, peter@sugar.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> For that matter IBM didn't design the IBM-PC. It burst fully fleshed
> from Zeus' head... uh... Seattle Computer Products.

Well, the way I heard SCP only did the DOS; the hardware was all Big Blue
(according to "Fire in the Valley"...  of course, they could be lying....)

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (02/12/88)

In article <1157@microsoft.UUCP> mikewa@microsoft.UUCP (Mike Walma) writes:

> According to Gordon Letwin, long time software guru here at Microsoft,
> Microsoft bought the rights to something called SCP-DOS written by
> Tim Paterson at SCP, in or around August 1981.  Microsoft used it
> as the basis of MS-DOS 1.0.  Gordon descibes it as a CP/M-80
> clone that ran on the 8088's.  My reference for this is Gordon's
> new book, Inside OS/2.  If people really need to know more, I suppose
> I could ask him for more info.

MS-DOS 1.0 was a d*mn good clone of CP/M, too. A friend purchased an original
IBM PC (16k!) when it first came out.  We got WordStar up and running under
DOS 1.0 by changing a _single_ byte from a CP/M version.  What may be even more
amazing is the fact we had a legal copy of WordStar!

On another note, didn't SCP sue Microsoft in 1986 or '87 concerning the rights
to DOS? As I recall, SCP needed to clarify their legal (and financial) assets
for a bankruptcy reorganization. I _think_ MS won.

Kurt Arthur
Software Services of Florida, Inc.

ralf@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralf Brown) (02/13/88)

In article <2037@codas.att.com> karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) writes:
}MS-DOS 1.0 was a d*mn good clone of CP/M, too. A friend purchased an original
}IBM PC (16k!) when it first came out.  We got WordStar up and running under
}DOS 1.0 by changing a _single_ byte from a CP/M version.  What may be even more
}amazing is the fact we had a legal copy of WordStar!

I'll say it's amazing, since the 8080/Z80 has completely different opcodes
from the 808x!  I don't suppose your legal copy happened to be source? :-)

}Kurt Arthur

--
{harvard,uunet,ucbvax}!b.gp.cs.cmu.edu!ralf -=-=- AT&T: (412)268-3053 (school)
ARPA: RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU |"Tolerance means excusing the mistakes others make.

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/14/88)

Accoding to some stuff I read recently, Microsoft bought the
right to market qdos from Seattle Computer Products at the time
that Microsoft was courted by IBM.  At the time, the story has it,
qdos was one of the few operating system products that would run on
the 8086/8088.  Digital Research made the unfortunate mistake of
snubbing IBM, and Bill Gates had the great fortune and business
acumen to be in the right place at the right time to win the IBM
contract.

Qdos eventually became IBM's DOS 1.0.  It really was a pretty
terrible operating system, that was not really much different form
CP/M.  1.0 didn't even have a heirachical file structure.  After
Microsoft picked up qdos, they did the further development to add
the heirarchical file system and all the goodies that we know and
love/hate now.

There was recently a law suit were Microsoft and SCP locked horns
about who actually owned the rights to the current version of DOS /
MS-DOS.  SCP argued that they had retained rights to sell all
future versions of DOS.  Microsoft argued that Microsoft had
expended great effort to improve the current releases of DOS and
that the current releases were virtually different products,
bearing only minor resemblance to version 1.0.  I don't know how
the suit turned out; I'd guess that Microsoft won, if not on moral
grounds, at least on the fact they have more lawyers and $$$ than
SCP.

--Bill

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (02/17/88)

}
}I'll say it's amazing, since the 8080/Z80 has completely different opcodes
}from the 808x!  I don't suppose your legal copy happened to be source? :-)

Maybe Mr. Arthur was referring to CP/M-86?  Ever heard of that?
--
Mark Alexander	...{hplabs,seismo,sun,ihnp4}!amdahl!drivax!alexande
"Bob-ism: the Faith that changes to meet YOUR needs." -- Bob

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (02/17/88)

Yes, I do remember.  CP/M-86 would run on 8088s.  In Wordstar, one
only need change one byte in the PSP to get the CP/M-86 version of
ws3.2 to run under MS-DOS 1.0.  It's been about four years, so I
forget exactly what it was that one changed.  I suppose if you get
a copy of the book "Underground Wordstar" it has the patch listed.
We did this on a DEC Rainbow.

--Bill

karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) (02/17/88)

In article <864@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> ralf@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralf Brown) writes:
> }In article <2037@codas.att.com> karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) writes:
> }}We got WordStar up and running under
> }}DOS 1.0 by changing a _single_ byte from a CP/M version.
> }}What may be even more amazing is the fact we had a legal copy of WordStar!
> }
> }I'll say it's amazing, since the 8080/Z80 has completely different opcodes
> }from the 808x!  I don't suppose your legal copy happened to be source? :-)

I wanted to double check my statement, so I telephoned my friend for confirm-
ation that I hadn't misstated a fact.  He replied that CPM/86 and MS-DOS are
extremely similar in executable file structures, and that we did in fact
convert a CPM version of WS to MS-DOS, although he couldn't remember the exact
number of bytes changed.  He continued by saying that the details of this were
(relatively) well known at that time, and had been mentioned in Byte by Jerry
Pournelle.  I went to my back issues of Byte, but was unable to find further
corroboration.

One error I _did_ make was that my friend's PC had 64K, not 16.  Oh, well!

Ralf.Brown@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (02/17/88)

In article <3066@drivax.UUCP>, alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) writes:
}In article <864@PT.CS.CMU.EDU> ralf@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralf Brown) writes:
}}In article <2037@codas.att.com> karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) writes:
}}}We got WordStar up and running under
}}}DOS 1.0 by changing a _single_ byte from a CP/M version.
}}}What may be even more amazing is the fact we had a legal copy of WordStar!
}}
}}I'll say it's amazing, since the 8080/Z80 has completely different opcodes
}}from the 808x!  I don't suppose your legal copy happened to be source? :-)
}
}Maybe Mr. Arthur was referring to CP/M-86?  Ever heard of that?
}--
}Mark Alexander  ...{hplabs,seismo,sun,ihnp4}!amdahl!drivax!alexande

I've not only heard of it, I have a copy that was bundled with
the Eagle PC I bought in '84.  If Mr. Arthur was indeed referring to
CP/M-86 (which I haven't seen anything about for over two year,
thus the assumption of CP/M-80), then I can believe it.  The
change would be modifying an INT E0h into an INT 21h.

The 8086 will not run 8080/Z80 opcodes; however, it is simple to
reassemble source code to produce 8086 opcodes from 8080 assembly
language.  After that, either CP/M-86 or MSDOS could run the
program (the wordprocessor bundled with the Eagle PC was about
97% crossassembled from CP/M-80, the other 3% were BIOS interfacing
for keyboard (INT 16h) and screen (INT 10h) access).

--

... davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) writes:
> 	Current price for a small 80386 UNIX system is about $4k
> for 2MB memory, UNIX runtime and C, 40MB hard drive, mono
> display. I was unable to find a 68020 based system with a
> similar configuration which is available for less than ~$5600 to
> the end user. I didn't count discounts on either type of
> machine.

It's not UNIX, but it's at least a real operating system (as opposed to a
glorified file server like MS-DOS: you can get a 68020 (and soon a 68030)
Amiga system for significantly less than that. And you get pretty good
PC graphics even by today's standards.

> 	The 80386 allows running MS-DOS programs under UNIX. No
> matter what your opinion of MS-DOS, there is a lot of good,
> cheap, software available for it, and many people would rather
> have the option than not. Witness that there are DOS cards for
> the Amiga, ATT 7300, Sun, etc.

There's also a lot of good, cheap, software for the Amiga out there that
doesn't have to run in an emulation mode. And, as you said, if you really
need it you can get it.

Personally, I don't miss it.
--

davidsen@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/24/88)

In article <1012@neoucom.UUCP> wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>Yes, I do remember.  CP/M-86 would run on 8088s.  In Wordstar, one
>only need change one byte in the PSP to get the CP/M-86 version of
>ws3.2 to run under MS-DOS 1.0.

I'm glad this is cleared up.  It wasn't CP/M it was CP/M-86.  Yes I
would expect it to be doable with a well behaved program, or one
ill-behaved on the same hardware. Now all the people posting "you can't
do that" messages can join the shareware discussion.

I admit to sending the original poster a note saying just "B.S.", sorry
about that.  After all, saying CP/M when you mean CP/M-86 is as natural
as saying MS-DOS when you mean UNIX...

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/25/88)

In article <864@PT.CS.CMU.EDU>, ralf@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Ralf Brown) writes:
> In article <2037@codas.att.com> karthur@codas.att.com (Kurt_R_Arthur) writes:
> }MS-DOS 1.0 was a d*mn good clone of CP/M, too. A friend purchased an original
> }IBM PC (16k!) when it first came out.  We got WordStar up and running under
> }DOS 1.0 by changing a _single_ byte from a CP/M version.  What may be even
> }more amazing is the fact we had a legal copy of WordStar!
>
> I'll say it's amazing, since the 8080/Z80 has completely different opcodes
> from the 808x!  I don't suppose your legal copy happened to be source? :-)

	I couldn't help noticing... doesn't the pattern '808x' match the
string '8080'?  It seems to me that the '68000' would then be excluded from
the group '680x0', thereby invalidating a number of Motorolla 'data books' :-).

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

Jinfu_Jinfu_Chen@cup.portal.com (02/29/88)

For your information only:

In Feb. 22, 1988 issue of InfoWorld page 5, this is an article
titled ``Motorola RISC Processor to Run at 17 MIPS". Some
excerpts follows (without permission):

The first member of Motorola Inc.'s anticipated 88000 family of
RISC microprocessors will run at 17 MIPS and will provide over
50 MIPS in paralle processing, according to preliminary
specifications announced last week.
Early beta smaples of the first thress-chip processor unit inthe
88000 familay have already been SHIPPED to a few key system
vendors, and over 200 companies are reviewing the specifications
The processor unit consists of two cache chips and a CPU, the
first to implement both integer and floating-point math
capability on a single chip.
Motorola emphasized that it remains committed to its sucessful
68000 series of microprocessors used in the Mac, many techincal
workstations, and other systems.

...End of Excerpt...

Now my 2 cents. Many micro users only know IBM and Intel, and
think that's all about computers. This is expecially true in
the micro jounalism, namely magazines like PC World, PC Magazine,
Personal Computing...  Editors just catch some buzzwords and
jagons and create all kind of hypes. Do you know who's the
largest 32 bit CPU manufacture in 1986, 1987? If my memory is
working, DataQuest's data show National's 32000 (or 32032?) was
the biggest selling 32 bit CPU in 1986, and 68020 is the one
in 1987. Perhaps 80386 may get some share in 88, thanks to IBM's
PS/2.

As someone mentioned before, for small software developers,
going to Intel's route saves time to porting CP/M programs. But
majority of high-end micros/mini developers choose 68K, do you
think Apollo, SUN, Apple, Atari, etc just want to pay more $$$
to be different from IBM? Not until 80386 there's no high
performance workstation being built in 80xxx family!

Enough to say.

Jinfu Chen
(My paycheck comes from Mot but this is my own opinion)