[comp.misc] Help! I need information about France's MINITEL service

strianta@killer.UUCP (Spiros Trianta) (03/03/88)

HELP!

I am in desperate need of information regarding the French MINITEL system,
that allows people to communicate and do other things similar to
the pay services here, i.e. Source, CompuServe, etc.

The only thing I know is that it is very popular in France, is provided
by the Government-run phone system, and that the phone company gives you
the (simple) terminal you need to access the service for free.

What I would like to know is:

a. Cost. What does it cost to use the service thru a TTY or PC. Is it by
   the hour, flat fee, free, whatever! Also, what does the fee structure
   cover? I understand that some enhanced services are available, i.e.
   plane reservations and the such (for extra $$$)

b. Availability. Is it available in all of France? any guestimate on number
   of users? how about usage time? i.e. busyes, and the such.

c. Features. What does the service provide as standard and extra (i.e.
   charged additionally) services

d. Accessibility. What kind of software does one with a PC need to access it
   (except of accessing it with the supplied terminal)

e. Gateways to other networks

f. ANY OTHER INFORMATION REGARDING MINITEL.

Any opinions from people who have used it will be most welcome.

Please answer directly as I do not read all the message areas. My apologies
in advance if the message appears in apparently unrelated message areas.

If enough information is gathered, I will summarize and post it.

Thanking you in advance.

Spiros Trianta

(Spiros@GMR.COM)
...!ihnp4!killer!strianta

--

Spiros Trianta
...!ihnp4!killer!strianta

mike@ists (Mike Clarkson) (03/07/88)

In article <3549@killer.UUCP>, strianta@killer.UUCP (Spiros Trianta) writes:
> I am in desperate need of information regarding the French MINITEL system,

Frances MINITEL is really quite a success story, and the main reason is
they let you have the terminals free.  The terminals are small cheap
combined ttys and phones.

Some things you have to understand about Europe though.  It's not like here
with regard to modems and PCs.  All modems are regulated and charged for
by the phone companies.  It's not like you can by one for 100 $ from Radio
Shack and you're home free.  Very few people have modems as you are charged
quite steeply for the priviledge of using one.  Also note that the modem
standards differ from country to country.  Your French modem won't work
across the border in Germany, and besides it would be illegal.

> a. Cost. What does it cost to use the service thru a TTY or PC.

The cost for the normal directory assistance type of service is free.
Other services charge your phone bill by the minute, much like the
900 numbers in the States, with part of the revenues going to the phone
company, and part to the person who offers the service.  Last I heard,
over 40 % of the revenues generated for the phone company from Mintel
were from the Mintel Rose services - the porno lines!

> b. Availability. Is it available in all of France? any guestimate on number
>    of users? how about usage time? i.e. busyes, and the such.

It is available in all of France.  Except for Paris, France has stopped
printing phone books - all directory assistance lookups are done through
Minitel.  You will often find public terminals in places like banks.

> c. Features. What does the service provide as standard and extra (i.e.
>    charged additionally) services

The standard sevice is the whole service - a tty and a phone line.  You just
pay by the minute for information.

> d. Accessibility. What kind of software does one with a PC need to access it
>    (except of accessing it with the supplied terminal)

As mentioned above, Minitel access through PCs is rare or non-existent.

> e. Gateways to other networks

None that I know of.

--
Mike Clarkson						mike@ists.UUCP
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science

patth@dasys1.UUCP (Patt Haring) (03/09/88)

Reposted from Creative Services BBS:

  To RAY NORMANDEAU                         03-06-88

>From CLAY IRVING                            Subject (R)CTL

I am a paying subscriber to Minitel, so.... But, servotel is a separate

system... So far, I've been told I need VPC emulation software from US

Videotel in Houston, 713-877-4444. New York node numbers are 212

391-1920 or 391-0370. I've also been told some people get into servotel

through 921-7877 with ctl-pc emulation. I have not been successful.

--
Patt Haring                 {sun!hoptoad,cmcl2!phri}!dasys1!patth
Big Electric Cat Public Access Unix (212) 879-9031 - System Operator

Three aspects of wisdom:  intelligence, justice & kindness.