[comp.misc] constraint satisfaction programming

parvis@pyr.gatech.EDU (FULLNAME) (02/24/88)

I'm looking for some interesting research in the topic of constraint logic
programming or constraint satisfaction programming. I'm already familiar with
Jaffar's and Lassez' work and also with the Prolog III approach.

   1.) Any information about related research, esp. implementation of this
       paradigm for different other domains than R (as in CLP(R)) are of
       interest.
   2.) I am also interested in applications and experience in any constraint
       satisfaction based language that may contribute to an evaluation of
       the constraint satisfaction paradigm.

  I appreciate any response, Thanks

      Parvis
---
Parvis Avini
parvis@gitpyr.gatech.edu

pcm@iwarpo3.intel.com (Phil C. Miller) (02/25/88)

In article <5070@pyr.gatech.EDU> parvis@pyr.gatech.EDU (FULLNAME) writes:

>I'm looking for some interesting research in the topic of constraint logic
>programming or constraint satisfaction programming. I'm already familiar with
>Jaffar's and Lassez' work and also with the Prolog III approach.

I saw an excellent talk a couple of years ago by a man named Wm. Leler
in which Wm. (pronounced Wim) discussed a constraint language called
Bertrand.  This language was developed by Wm. in connection with research
leading to his Ph.D.  His Ph.D. thesis has since been published as a
distinguished thesis by one of the computer science publishers.  It's called
Constraint Languages.  It's fairly recent.  Don't know the publisher right
off hand.

Phil Miller

hasida@etlcom.etl.JUNET (Koiti Hasida) (03/10/88)

Posting-Front-End: GNU Emacs 18.47.144 of Wed Feb 10 1988 on etlcom (berkeley-unix)

In <5070@pyr.gatech.EDU>, Parvis Avini writes:
> I'm looking for some interesting research in the topic of constraint logic
> programming or constraint satisfaction programming. I'm already familiar with
> Jaffar's and Lassez' work and also with the Prolog III approach.

See my article, entitled 'Dependency Propagation', included in IJCAI87
Proceedings, though, I'm afraid, this is not very well-written; less
than half of it talks about constraint programming, and natural
language is what the rest of it is about. I should work out its
constraint programming part in a more complete form.

A crucial difference between my DP and others (CLP, Prolog III, etc.)
is that DP deals with constraints on combinatorial objects (i.e., the
term structures of logic) whereas the constraints considered in the
other approaches are about arithmetic objects (rational numbers or
real numbers). Another difference is that in DP we look upon
processing as constraint transformation. Since the constraint is the
program here, processing is a sort of program transformation.

Currently under way is an implementation of the interpreter according
to DP. This implementation is being done in language C. The first
phase of the work is supposed to be finished within one month or two,
and will be applied to a natural-language parser based on a
unification grammar formalism.

I hope this is of some interest to you.

HASIDA, Koiti ('HASIDA' is my family name)
Machine Inference Section