[comp.misc] Extensible Programming Systems

hjelm@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Mark Hjelm) (03/10/88)

I am looking for information regarding "programs" that are user extensible.
The obvious example is emacs with its user-accessible lisp programming
language.  Of particular interest are programs in distributed environments
(i.e. "servers"), using techniques such as downloading code and dynamically
linking user's object code.  NeWS and Andrew's WM are the obvious examples in
the server category.  Any and all systems (real or imagined) are of
interest.  I would like to come up with a fairly complete list.

Thanks for the help,
Mark

ARPA:   hjelm@g.gp.cs.cmu.edu
UUCP:   uunet.uu.net!g.gp.cs.cmu.edu!hjelm
CSNET:  hjelm%pt.cs.cmu.edu@csnet-relay  (??)

kers@otter.hple.hp.com (Christopher Dollin) (03/10/88)

"hjelm@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Mark Hjelm)" says:

|I am looking for information regarding "programs" that are user extensible.
|The obvious example is emacs with its user-accessible lisp programming
|language.

Do incremental program development systems count? Probably most Lisp systems
come into this category, then. But my usual example is Poplog, which allows
the user to develop programs in (a) Pop11, (b) Prolog, (c) Common Lisp, (d) ML,
(e) mixtures of the above, (f) anything that can be compiled to the Poplog VM.
[One of our local hackers knocked up a Poplog Scheme, for example].

Oh yes - since Poplog has an integrated editor (Ved) written in Pop11, the
editor is an extensible program, just like Emacs. I suppose one would say that
in Emacs, the programming was secondary to the editing, while in Poplog, the
editing is secondary to the programming.

Regards,
Kers                                    | "Why Lisp if you can talk Poperly?"

reggie@pdn.UUCP (George W. Leach) (03/11/88)

In article <1860003@otter.hple.hp.com> kers@otter.hple.hp.com (Christopher Dollin) writes:
>"hjelm@G.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (Mark Hjelm)" says:
>
>|I am looking for information regarding "programs" that are user extensible.
>|The obvious example is emacs with its user-accessible lisp programming
>|language.

       I seem to remember a Conference or Workshop on Extensible Programming
Languages back in 1975.  I think the proceedings were published as an issue
of SIGPLAN Notices.  Check with your library.

George

--
George W. Leach					Paradyne Corporation
{gatech,rutgers,attmail}!codas!pdn!reggie	Mail stop LF-207