[comp.misc] word processing

In article <672@gethen.UUCP>, farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
> In article <34@obie.UUCP> wes@obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>> The PC is a LOUSY word processor because the IBM PC keyboard is a
>> disgusting piece of garbage.
> Anyone who is typing at 75+ WPM (which is a pretty low speed for a
> professional word processor) relys heavily on tactile and audible
> feedback - you just can't go that fast if you can't be sure, without
> looking at the screen, whether or not you have actually hit the keys,

I am not a professional word processor (whatever "word processing"
really is), but I do type fast (over 75 wpm, once I have decided what I
want to say), and I virulently hate keyboards with tactile feedback.  I
like a keyboard with no feel at all (just pushing against a spring
until the key hits the bottom of its travel).  (Yes, though, I can't
live without keyclick or immediate echo on the screen.)

I have reached the conclusion that keyboards are as much a matter of
taste as, say, editors....

> There is a good deal of difference, which most computer jocks seem to
> either never realize or forget, between word processing and using an
> editor.  As someone who has spent a lot of time doing both, I can
> tell you that never [...] would any professional word processing
> service consider using something like emacs/troff [...].

Naturally.  Troff output looks horrible, even to someone like me who
knows nothing about the finer points of typesetting.

> It just doesn't make any sense from their point of view.

Why not?  Educate me; I apparently don't know what "word processing"
is.  What is it, what does it demand that emacs+TeX can't give, and why
does it demand this (as opposed to why you would demand it if you were
to be doing WP)?

>> If you want a good word processing computer, buy an Atari Mega ST.
> The keyboard is, flatly, abysmal, with a mushy feel that will
> increase your error rate significantly.

Maybe it would increase *your* error rate significantly.  That doesn't
mean it would increase my or anyone else's error rate.  I daresay there
are people who find it just the thing for them, just as there are
people who find the keyboards I love quite horrible.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu