[comp.misc] Copy protection etc

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (01/25/88)

In article <1869@optilink.UUCP> cramer@optilink.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) writes:
>As much as I hate copy protection schemes, I appreciate why they exist --
>I've worked with far too many people over the years who think nothing of
>buying a program, then offering everyone they know a copy of it.  The
>rationalization is usually, "I wanted it, and it was overpriced."  I
>usually respond with, "A Mercedes is overpriced also.  Are you planning
>to steal one?"  The conversation usually ends right there.

Indeed.  But as it happens, I have constructed a matter duplicator.
If you will provide the raw materials---an equivalent mass of copper
will do---and a borrowed Mercedes or Jag (or whatever you prefer),
I will fire it up, and in a few minutes you will have two.

And therein lies the problem.  You can return the borrowed car, yet
still have your own.

Fortunately, my matter duplicator just dissolved back into a pile
of imaginary particles, so I need not face that one now.  :-)

msb@sq.uucp (Mark Brader) (01/28/88)

Chris Torek (chris@mimsy.UUCP) writes:
> And therein lies the problem.  You can return the borrowed car, yet
> still have your own.

Or as Morris West put it in the novel Harlequin years ago:

	Computer information is like sex.

Mark Brader				"Every new technology carries with it
SoftQuad Inc., Toronto			 an opportunity to invent a new crime"
utzoo!sq!msb, msb@sq.com				-- Laurence A. Urgenson

gupta@cullsj.UUCP (Yogesh Gupta) (02/02/88)

In article <10332@mimsy.UUCP>, chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:

> Fortunately, my matter duplicator just dissolved back into a pile
> of imaginary particles, so I need not face that one now.  :-)

What!  And you hadn't duplicated it and made a backup copy?  Well,
that should teach you!
	8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

--
Yogesh Gupta			| If you think my company will let me
Cullinet Software, Inc.		| speak for them, you must be joking.

dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) (02/19/88)

In article <10332@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>Indeed.  But as it happens, I have constructed a matter duplicator.
>If you will provide the raw materials---an equivalent mass of copper
>will do---and a borrowed Mercedes or Jag (or whatever you prefer),
>I will fire it up, and in a few minutes you will have two.

         ###
	  #
And now   #   have a disintegrator, and I'm going to disintegrate Chris
         ###
and take his matter duplicator and duplicate ME and my DISINTEGRATOR and
then WE are going to enslave everyone else on the net and make them dig
up "equivalent masses of copper" so that WE can have ALL of the Merc's
WE want (and you can't have any).

Chris seems to think that just because he has the ability, he has the right.

Before anyone flames because I omitted the part where the
original owner gets back his Merc (Jag, Rollerskates), that was never
the point.   The point is the people whose livelihood comes from
designing/building/selling (...) the Merc (etc) in the first place.  The
point is also that if you could duplicate things, then the incentive to
create and improve products and to prosper from doing so would
disappear.  Can you imagine a world where no one was motivated to
produce a better tool than MicroSoft Word?

So far in this discussion, the primary reasons that have been aired
to discredit software protection schemes are that they are
inconvenient, that they prevent people from creating legitimate
back-ups, that they inhibit use of the software in a network server
environment, and a blessed few who will honestly say that they don't
want to or can't pay to get an honest copy.

The question I put to all of the net is:

    |   If a software protection scheme existed that produced        |
    |   no hardships to the honest user and only acted to prevent    |
    |   people from obtaining the software by means other than       |
    |   purchasing it, would you support that form of software       |
    |   protection?                                                  |

[I have two kids and am used to long-winded answers to questions other
than the one(s) I ask.  If your answer is anything other than 'YES' or
'NO' re-read the question.  It is very clearly stated and only asks one
thing.  After you have decided how to answer THE QUESTION THAT WAS
ASKED,  feel free to explain yourself.]

If you wish to answer via e-mail, I will tabulate the results until the
end of February and post a follow-up.

--
Dave Katz, Data Processing Manager
Develcon Electronics Ltd  +-------------------------------------------------+

mwm@eris (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (02/21/88)

In article <2239@zaphod.UUCP> dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) writes:
<Before anyone flames because I omitted the part where the
<original owner gets back his Merc (Jag, Rollerskates), that was never
<the point.   The point is the people whose livelihood comes from
<designing/building/selling (...) the Merc (etc) in the first place.  The
<point is also that if you could duplicate things, then the incentive to
<create and improve products and to prosper from doing so would
<disappear.  Can you imagine a world where no one was motivated to
<produce a better tool than MicroSoft Word?

Anyone who's used MicroSoft Word has a motivation to produce a better
tool. Many people also have the ability and energy to do so - that's
why there are so many PD editors, text formatters and word processing
systems.

People also design and build cars for reasons other than expecting to
make a living selling them to other people. For most forms of
creativity, the ability to sell lots of copies motivates only a small
minority of the people engaged in that form of creativy.

	<mike
--
Come all you rolling minstrels,				Mike Meyer
And together we will try,				mwm@berkeley.edu

lim@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Kian-Tat Lim) (02/22/88)

In article <2239@zaphod.UUCP> dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) writes:
>    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
>    |                                                                |
>    |   If a software protection scheme existed that produced        |
>    |   no hardships to the honest user and only acted to prevent    |
>    |   people from obtaining the software by means other than       |
>    |   purchasing it, would you support that form of software       |
>    |   protection?                                                  |
>    |                                                                |
>    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

YES.  *BUT* there are some interpretation questions:

1.  No hardships to the honest user should include the ability to see the
    software in action before purchase, either through a demo version, or at a
    dealer, or otherwise.  It is a hardship to have to purchase expensive
    (to me, a student, expensive is > $10) software without any guarantees that
    it will fulfill the need I have for it.

2.  "No hardships" means *NO* (zero, nada, zilch) hardships (within reason).
    If a system error steps on the executable, it shouldn't decide that I'm a
    career pirate and eat my hard disk.  I should be able to back up my
    program in any way I choose, and retain the ability to restore it in a
    fully functional form without having to write or call the company for
    another original copy.  The program should remain easy to use (ruling out
    "protection" schemes in which the program is incomprehensible without the
    800 page manual).

I think that satisfying these two requirements (especially the latter) will be
extremely difficult.  The only practical way of achieving this idealistic goal
is, at least currently, to provide excellent service to registered users only,
with no other copy protection.

-- Kian-Tat Lim (ktl@wagvax.caltech.edu, GEnie: K.LIM1)

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (73539000) (02/22/88)

What is wrong with the scheme used by Claris, Microsoft, and Symmantec's MORE
product for the Mac??? They just ask you for your name the first time you
boot the software. IT imbeds your name and Company in it. Every time you start
it, it tells you who you are. Although this is easy to bypass (copy it before
you run it.) It still works. Anybody who goes to the extent of doing this is
obviosuly a career pirate, and thereofre wouldn't have bought the program in
the first place, so a sale isn't lost. Follow???

~  Alexander M. Rosenberg  ~ INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   ~ Yoyodyne    ~
~  Crown College, UCSC     ~ UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba~ Propulsion  ~
~  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    ~ BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  ~ Systems     ~
~  (408) 426-8869	   ~ Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  ~ :-)         ~
~			   ~ so nobody cares what I say.	~	      ~

rcb@rti.UUCP (Random) (02/24/88)

In article <2062@saturn.ucsc.edu> alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) writes:
>... Although this is easy to bypass (copy it before
>you run it.) It still works. Anybody who goes to the extent of doing this is
>obviosuly a career pirate, and thereofre wouldn't have bought the program in
>the first place, so a sale isn't lost. Follow???

I would have to disagree with this conclusion. When I buy software,
the VERY FIRST thing I do is
	-lock the disk
	-copy the disk
	-put original away
	-Try out copy to see if/how it works.

--
					Randy Buckland (919)-541-7103
					Research Triangle Institute

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/02/88)

In article <2239@zaphod.UUCP>, dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) asks:
>     +----------------------------------------------------------------+
>     |                                                                |
>     |   If a software protection scheme existed that produced        |
>     |   no hardships to the honest user and only acted to prevent    |
>     |   people from obtaining the software by means other than       |
>     |   purchasing it, would you support that form of software       |
>     |   protection?                                                  |
>     |                                                                |
>     +----------------------------------------------------------------+

	Yes.  We have one.

	I still think obtrusive copy protection is stupid.  If I wanted
to hear calypso music, I would put it on the stereo, *not* my disk drive
...stick in the alignment disk, stick in the calypso disk, stick in the
alignment disk, stick in the calypso disk...

		DOWN WITH CALYPSO DISKS!

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

In article <2239@zaphod.UUCP>, dkatz@zaphod.UUCP (Dave Katz) writes:
> In article <10332@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>> [upgrading the Mercedes analogy with a (hypothetical, I hope!)
>> matter duplicator]
> The point is the people whose livelihood comes from
> designing/building/selling (...) the Merc (etc) in the first place.

So?  What about all the whale-oil lamp companies that went under when
electrical lighting came in?  What about their livelihood?

What about all the carriage companies that the auto makers put out of
business?

Do you also oppose attempts to ban nuclear weapons because it would
take away the livelihood of those who make them?

> The point is also that if you could duplicate things, then the
> incentive to create and improve products and to prosper from doing so
> would disappear.

Oh nonsense.  Look at how many gadgets were invented, how much software
was written, simply because the inventor/author felt like it.  In the
case of software, consider all the free software.  Whatever motivated
the creation of that software is clearly not such as to disappear in
the world we are imagining.

> Can you imagine a world where no one was motivated to produce a
> better tool than MicroSoft Word?

No.  I daresay anyone who's used it would be so motivated (I cannot
recall even one program I've used that I have not been motivated to
improve).  Unfortunately only a very few have the skill to do so.

> The question I put to all of the net is:

> If a software protection scheme existed that produced no hardships to
> the honest user and only acted to prevent people from obtaining the
> software by means other than purchasing it, would you support that
> form of software protection?

No, I think.  You are asking me to decide without seeing the scheme,
which makes it more difficult.  Also, I believe your hypothetical
scheme cannot exist because you have placed mutually incompatible
conditions on it.  Why no?  Because the notion of purchasing copies of
information feels wrong.  I am more or less in agreement with Mike "My
watch has windows" Meyer's arguments on this.

					der Mouse

			uucp: mouse@mcgill-vision.uucp
			arpa: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu