[comp.misc] Hear no evil, See no evil, Do no evil

jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) (03/20/88)

In article <400@lscvax.UUCP>, ram@lscvax.UUCP (Ric Messier) writes:

> You know, it's funny but I thought this topic was dead but wait a
> minute, here we go again!! Strap yourselves in.

One gets tired of attempting to prove the obvious ... sales of personal
computers will make an abrupt down turn in the next 24 months, most likely
in the next 3 to 9 months. The sales of PC's will drop between 25% and
70% of the current 12-15 million units per year volume in the short term
and level out at between 4 and 7 million units per year with some growth
in the market spurred by occasional technology advances.

There is no current product which will force early obsolence of the
typical 640K 8088 PC running PFS Write or Word Perfect as a typewriter
replacement/augmentor. This typewriter replacement market accounts for
the vast majority of PC systems purchased in the last few years -- and is
the market that has saturated.

I have spent over 300 hours researching similar markets and the distribution
of jobs in the US in attempt to quantify the size of the US Market for
personal computers. Every new way I have examined still projects the market
size to be between 20 million and 30 million units for business users and
a much smaller number of home systems.

I have posted two conclusive deductive arguments for the market down turn,
neither of which have been more than lightly rebutted .... only emotional
replies of the nature "It can not happen". If this is the general level of
critical thinking for computer professionals and management in the US computer
industry, then I made a mistake in thinking these people would like to PLAN
AHEAD rather than crash and burn.

I posted the conclusion and arguments for free as a service to the
industry ... and it was discarded as worthless free advice. At the request
of a friend, the data and computer model are being compiled into a report
that should be available during late April -- price $3,000.00.

I stand by my prediction solidly .. the market place can not support the
current 12-15 million units per year volume. For those who are so out of
touch with the world, or find the critical thinking involved in data analysis
beyond your mental grasps, I present my final argument:

	From USA TODAY, Wed March 16, 1988 page 1B read the box titled "Will
	auto boom go bust?" and article titled "Auto sales rise 6.3% this month"

	Note the annual sales volume of 14.7 million units per year for
	cars and light trucks. Note the average sales of about 13.5 million
	units over the last 5 years.

	Justify why computer shipments should stay at the same level ....
	nearly everyone needs a car ...  few people need a computer ...

Again I ask you to present these arguments to your management and ask what this
means for your company's future and YOUR job should the market turn down
abrubtly in the next year. I believe in planning ahead ... your may do as you
wish ... but don't bother flaming at this article ... If you have some
critcal analysis feel free to share it.

Have Fun ..
John Bass
DMS Design (805) 541-1575
EMAIL: polyslo!dmsd!bass
SMAIL: PO Box 12508, San Luis Obispo, CA 93406

kurt@tc.fluke.COM (Kurt Guntheroth) (03/23/88)

John Bass is MAD now.  We have refused to believe that the sky is falling,
even though he personally guarantees that he was hit in the head by a piece.

> There is no current product which will force early obsolence of the
> typical 640K 8088 PC running PFS Write or Word Perfect as a typewriter
> replacement/augmentor. This typewriter replacement market accounts for
> the vast majority of PC systems purchased in the last few years -- and is
> the market that has saturated.

This assertion is patently untrue.  Anyone who has recently graduated from
Wordstar to Microsoft Word, Page Maker or any of the various other modern
document formatters and page layout systems can tell you that the 8088 poops
out on page layout problems.  Modern document processors do graphics, multiple
columns, multiple fonts and point sizes.  The graphics requirement alone will
obsolete a significant PCs.  Perhaps Mr Bass makes due with a dumb terminal
connected to an aging mainframe, so the world looks more static to him.

> I stand by my prediction solidly .. the market place can not support the
> current 12-15 million units per year volume. For those who are so out of
> touch with the world, or find the critical thinking involved in data analysis
> beyond your mental grasps, I present my final argument:

As evidence of this, our scholar cites that forum of business acedemia:

>	USA TODAY, Wed March 16, 1988 page 1B read the box titled "Will
>	auto boom go bust?" and article titled "Auto sales rise 6.3% this month"

>	Note the annual sales volume of 14.7 million units per year for
>	cars and light trucks. Note the average sales of about 13.5 million
>	units over the last 5 years.

So if computer unit sales only continue to be as good as auto sales (a mature
market with no quantum leaps in technology likely, and stable price/performance
ratios), there will be NO slowdown.

>	Justify why computer shipments should stay at the same level ....
>	nearly everyone needs a car ...  few people need a computer ...

I bet most businesses own far more computers than cars or trucks, both in
number and in dollar value.  I also suspect the rate of replacement of
computers will be higher.  But that's where John and I part company.

I want to add that I personally expect a modest recession sometime next year.
This recession will likely cut into purchases of small computers, just as it
will affect sales of all sorts of capital equipment.  I don't see that
computers will be singled out for an unreasonably large cut.  Computers are
as much part of the fabric of production in this country as milling
machines, light trucks, and carbon paper.  I also see the current production
levels as a little higher than reasonable, maybe 5-15% too high, and I see
the possibility of a temporary decline, concentrated in sales of older models.

Finally it makes me uncomfortable that my management occasionally buys
expensive reports on the business outlook, and therefore might waste $3K on
this report, which they could ignore for free.  Does anyone else but Mr Bass
have any experience with Mr Bass's previous scholarly works or reputation as
a prognosticator?  I would hate to waste my time trying to get management to
read a report I didn't believe in, from a person I had no knowledge in, and
then find out he was not highly regarded by his peers.  His report would
certainly have more appeal if it appeared in the Harvard Business Review,
Wall Street Journal, or some other known source.

Put me down as one of those silly fools who never see the light.
Kurt Guntheroth
Senior Software Engineer
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

[These opinions are mine alone.  In particular, Fluke management may]
[also have been hit by a piece of sky and not seen fit to tell me.  ]

roger_warren_tang@cup.portal.com (03/27/88)

   I'd put more stock into these predictions if I had some more solid
data to go with them.  At best, we have "off the cuff back of the envelope"
calculations.  At worst. we've had idiocies like a work force of 90 million
which doesn't include the under 15s, housewives, retirees we have to throw
out (the fact is that the labor force is over 110 million and automatically
excludes these).

Please, more facts on PC/user ratios; some surveys butressed by
solid methodology (the descriptions thrown out here make me wince in their
shoddiness); etc.

john@anasaz.UUCP (John Moore) (04/02/88)

In article <1615@polyslo.UUCP# jbass@polyslo.UUCP (John L Bass) writes:
#There is no current product which will force early obsolence of the
#typical 640K 8088 PC running PFS Write or Word Perfect as a typewriter
#replacement/augmentor. This typewriter replacement market accounts for
#the vast majority of PC systems purchased in the last few years -- and is
#the market that has saturated.
I missed the early postings - we were disconnected from the net for a
bit. However, I do have one area I wonder if you researched: PC's as
mini's. My company, and many others, are using PC's where previously
mini's or custom controllers would be used. For example, in store
Point of Sale systems, traditionally a dedicated controller is used
for each box. We are finding these being replaced by PC's. There seem
to be a lot of places where this sort of PC use is happening. Likewise,
we see PC's replacing minicomputers as servers and concentrators. Did
you include these numbers? I realize that they are likely much smaller
than the typewriter replacement number, and that this alone doesn't
come close to invalidating your thesis. I'm just curious about the numbers.
--
John Moore (NJ7E)   hao!noao!mcdsun!nud!anasaz!john
(602) 870-3330 (day or evening)