[comp.misc] Image compression using fractals?

Robin@turbo.RAY.COM ( Dr. R.P. Alston) (05/03/88)

I recently read an article in Byte magazine concerning image compression
using fractals and obtaining ratios up to and greater than 10,000 to 1.
Can anyone recommend some more reading on this, or is there anyone on the
net involved in this research? I am much interested in looking into whether
this is going to be a real and feasable system to image compression with
special hardware in the short or long term future. Thanx for any and
all help. Mail first please.

# Whats worse than two MA drivers on a freeway?    #      Dr. Robin the REAL
# Answer: One Toronto driver                       #      SuperUser Atilla!
 -------------------------------------------------	  (617)-460-8225
	Robin@turbo.ray.com		.....!rayssd!turbo!Robin

ccastks@pyr.gatech.EDU (Ken Seefried iii) (05/04/88)

In article <220@turbo.RAY.COM> Robin@turbo.RAY.COM ( Dr. R.P. Alston) writes:

>I recently read an article in Byte magazine concerning image compression
>using fractals and obtaining ratios up to and greater than 10,000 to 1.
>Can anyone recommend some more reading on this, or is there anyone on the
>net involved in this research? I am much interested in looking into whether
>this is going to be a real and feasable system to image compression with
>special hardware in the short or long term future. Thanx for any and
>all help. Mail first please.
>
>--
># Whats worse than two MA drivers on a freeway?    #      Dr. Robin the REAL
># Answer: One Toronto driver                       #      SuperUser Atilla!
> -------------------------------------------------	  (617)-460-8225
>	Robin@turbo.ray.com		.....!rayssd!turbo!Robin

Many moons ago, I worked briefly in Micheal Barnsleys lab and took his first
class in fractal.  The course was taught from class notes, which he is evolvin
into a textbook on fractals, or to be more precice, chaotic dynamical systems.
The book is not yet published, but from the material that I was exposed to,
it will be very good.

I know of two other references that you can check: the original book by
Benoit Mandelbrot (i forget the name) and a very terse (read lots of math)
book called "An Introduction to Chaotic Dynamical Systems" by Robert L.
Devany.  The Devany book lays down a lot of fundamental stuff.

As far as being practical, i would say yes.  There was talk for quite a
while of some big industry funding for an IFS chip to do the compression.
In any case, the compression figures of 10,000 to 1 are true.  The particular
application that isgenerating most interest is compression of satellite
photos.

	ken seefried iii
	ken@gatech.edu