[comp.misc] Unix, MS DOS

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (05/07/88)

In article <1612@looking.UUCP> brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) writes:
>Unix can't just be turned on and off with a switch like DOS can,
>and like users expect.

Neither can DOS.  If you turn off an IBM PC while it is actively
writing to the disk, or while it is running an application, you
are likely to lose data.  If you turn off a 3B? (numbers forgotten),
it just shuts itself down (one of the few good things about it).

>Fragmented file systems

This one was answered by someone at CMU.

>Easy device driver installation.

I believe there exist Unix-based systems with dynamic driver loading.
Certainly that sort of effect is easy if you make various restrictions.
(I think I could hack a decent version into 4.3BSD or [easier] Mach
without much effort---just wire down the pages and give them kernel
privileges, and link up the interrupt vectors.)

>Still run software for the old filesystem, and still use old disks.

VFS (Sun NFS) or FSS (SysV.x) can do this now.

(Other points unanswered, being either uninteresting or hard :-) )