[comp.misc] MS-DOS and support

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/18/88)

In article <4780@teddy.UUCP> jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) writes:
>>people whom actually NEED a piece of software usually end up buying
>>it.
>Gee, I don't know.  This isn't ALWAYS true.  A simple counterexample:
>MSDOS.
>If I ever decide to upgrade from DOS 3.1, I'll probably use a pirated
>copy.  Why?  Because:  #1:  Microsoft/IBM did not provide any way for me to
>upgrade my legitimate copy of DOS at a reasonable price, and #2:  I
>don't expect to get any SUPPORT from Microsoft no matter HOW loudly I
>complain.

You obviously don't understand Microsoft's role with regard to MS-DOS.
Microsoft owes you no support for MS-DOS, no matter where or how you
got it, if you are an end user.

Microsoft supplies MS-DOS to computer vendors.  They are Microsoft's
customers.  They are entitled to support from Microsoft.

If you buy MS-DOS from your computer vendor, you are entitled to
the level of support that your purchase agreement with that vendor
allows you, *from that vendor*.  The fact that the product is
produced by Microsoft is none of your business.  The MS-DOS you use
on a Tandy machine, for example, is a Tandy product, supported by
Tandy.

The only thing more amusing than the rationalizations of a thief are
the rationalizations of an ignorant thief.

--
Roger B.A. Klorese                           MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!rogerk  25 Burlington Mall Rd, Suite 300