[comp.misc] HELP ME!!!

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (05/25/88)

In article <5816@cup.portal.com> JJ@cup.portal.com writes:
> Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(

	Didn't we see this exact same article a couple of weeks ago?  Can't
somebody at portal put a muzzle on this guy?  It used to be that if I
wanted to get panhandled, all I had to do is step out the door of where I
work; now it seems I can get panhandled in the comfort of my own office.
If this had been sent via U.S. Mail, would it constitute mail fraud?
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

[I apologize for continuing this discussion in an inappropriate news
group...]

In article <3287@phri.UUCP>, roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
> In article <5816@cup.portal.com> JJ@cup.portal.com writes:
> > Poor College Student needs Your Help!!   :-(
>
> 	Didn't we see this exact same article a couple of weeks ago?  Can't
> somebody at portal put a muzzle on this guy?  It used to be that if I
> wanted to get panhandled, all I had to do is step out the door of where I
> work; now it seems I can get panhandled in the comfort of my own office.
> If this had been sent via U.S. Mail, would it constitute mail fraud?

	It could STILL be mail fraud since "JJ" (through Portal) is
soliciting that the money be sent via the mail to a post office box;
i.e., an element of the potential fraud involves the mail.

	If you or anyone else is sufficiently pissed off about this
recent barrage of postings, I would suggest that you contact your
local postal inspector and send them a copy of the article.  Be sure
to give them the name and address of Portal from the map files, since
Portal may be equally involved.

<>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York
<>  UUCP:  {allegra|ames|boulder|decvax|rutgers|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry
<>  VOICE: 716/688-1231        {hplabs|ihnp4|mtune|utzoo|uunet}!/
<>  FAX:   716/741-9635 {G1,G2,G3 modes}   "Have you hugged your cat today?"

tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) (05/26/88)

Zapped most of the cross-postings, then cross-posted to news.admin ---

Would the system administrator at cup.portal.com please remove this
stupid fucker's priveleges?

Thanks in advance.
--
Tom Gillespie  ( ...ihnp4!picuxa!tgr) | (attmail!tgillespie) (201) 952-1178
AT&T/EDS Product Integration Center  299 Jefferson Rd. Parsippany NJ 07054

"Don't take life so serious ... it ain't nohow permanent."  -- Walt Kelly

JJ's postings have resulted in 440 responses, on June 3, with an expire of
ten days.  Why do people feel obligated to flame idiots?  Isn't it clear
enough from JJ's own postings?
-russ

root@uisc1.UUCP (Super user) (06/04/88)

In article <581@picuxa.UUCP>, tgr@picuxa.UUCP (Dr. Emilio Lizardo) writes:

> Would the system administrator at cup.portal.com please remove this
> stupid fucker's priveleges?

When I think about the message that your followup was about (JJ's post),
and then I then compare it to yours in terms of politeness, content, and
choice of words, I would have to agree with your posting. I would rather
apply it to your privileges than to JJ's, however.

I found your posting a lot more offensive by a considerable order of
magnitude than JJ's. Please tone down your choice of words.

One would think that someone with a doctorate degree would have learned
that by now.

dc@gcm (Dave Caswell) (06/05/88)

In article <1025@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:
>JJ's postings have resulted in 440 responses, on June 3, with an expire of
>ten days.  Why do people feel obligated to flame idiots?  Isn't it clear
>enough from JJ's own postings?
>-russ

I doubt there were 440 individual responses.  Try grepping the message-id field
out of the articles and see how many different ones there are.  For instance,
on our site there are 3369 different articles (some not about JJ) of which
3027 are unique.

I think the most offensive are the people who post requesting everyone
to call the post office, call him at home, mail the site he posted from,
call a lawyer and so on.  They all seem to be able to think of new subject
lines so that kill files can not find them; and are all cross posted to
every possible news group; and are all completely content-free.

--
Dave Caswell
Greenwich Capital Markets                             uunet!philabs!gcm!dc